I want to incorportate more raw foods in my diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Banned

As well as my fiances's. He's really into meditation, is very spiritual, etc. and he thinks it'd be something great to do together. Which is GREAT because I've always been interested in it. I would like to eat a dominantly raw diet, but most of the products I buy are EXPENSIVE. I know you guys probably make your own stuff which should be less expensive!
These are the products I buy and enjoy---

Awesome foods- raw "right carb food" veggie "omelettes"
brad's raw leafy kale
two moms in the raw bars
awesome food's raw desserts, coconut cashew balls, coconut fudge, etc.
RAAW drinks

Do any of you guys make your own versions of these things or maybe anything similar?
I have a juicer, but I want to know the right combinations and such before I was fruit and vegetables. Besides these products marketed as RAW I obviously eat fruits and vegetables.
Is a dehydrator a must?
Any favorite recipes welcomed!

Other questions-
did you lose weight when you changed your diet?
-My fiance is looking to lose excess belly fat. He doesn't listen to my opinion on calories lol he thinks raw will be his fix!

do you find yourself to a greater or lesser amount of raw food then cooked food?

If you are not 100% raw what cooked foods do you still eat?

Has your energy level change?

sorry if these are a lot of questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Beginner

I did lose some weight when I switched from vegan to raw food, but my weight eventually stabilized. For someone who eats unhealthily and is overweight, then they would certainly experience weight loss on a raw diet. If you're serious about getting into raw foods then you need to learn as much as you can and develop a daily plan to make your raw meals. It's not really something you can just wing, but it's totally doable. You can buy prepared raw foods and snacks, but like you said it can get expensive. It can be a good way to supplement a raw diet though. Depending on where you live, there might even be a raw food restaurant you could go to as well.

The best advice I can give is to get some recipe books and become well acquainted with your local Farmers Market. The produce you get from Farmers Markets is more nutritious. It's because hardly anything you get from grocery stores is picked ripe anymore. When you pick produce green for shipping long distances, the plant has not had sufficient time to develop its full phytochemical and mineral content. Since the produce at Farmers Markets is not being shipped long distances, it can be picked riper when they have more nutrition. This makes a big difference in a raw food diet and allows you to get the most benefits.

Check out my raw food review blog at www.rawfoodland.com!
#3 Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

okay thankyou!
I've been researching it and I became kind of overwhelmed when reading about sprouting and soaking......
#4 Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Beginner

I am interested in this too... I love being Vegan but I think that I would feel even BETTER by introducing more raw meals into my house!

My fiance' is interested in this too!!

♥ ♥ My vegan recipe blog: http://veggieful.com ♥ 

#5 Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Beginner

I also like the idea of using fresher foods, and if possible simpler preparation. A lot of veg just tastes better raw.
#6 Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Banned

I don't cook any of my vegetables really....I steam sweet potatos and edamame, which I'm pretty sure you can't eat raw anyways.

I don't want to make a new topic, but can someone suggest a really good RAW "cook" book? lol
I only came across two at barnes&noble and they were pretty pricey. I didn't want to waste my money if it was going to be useless...
#7 Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonelise View Post

I am interested in this too... I love being Vegan but I think that I would feel even BETTER by introducing more raw meals into my house!

My fiance' is interested in this too!!

Exactly!
#8 Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Gib
Beginner

My wife and I eat raw for breakfast (just fruit) and for dinner (just veggies) but usually have a cooked soup for lunch. Hope to go closer to all raw soon.
#9 Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Beginner

brad's raw leafy kale
two moms in the raw bars
RAAW drinks

I have found those things okay on occasion, but they are high in oils and salt for the Awesome foods ones and I find the raw bars/leafy kale dehydrating. Fresh green smoothies are a better option!

Do any of you guys make your own versions of these things or maybe anything similar?
I have a juicer, but I want to know the right combinations and such before I was fruit and vegetables. Besides these products marketed as RAW I obviously eat fruits and vegetables.

Not often. Sometimes. I esp. like to make things salt-free.

Is a dehydrator a must?

No!
Lettuce wraps with raw "refried beans" are nice. I make them from sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, lime juice, jalapenos, cilantro (pureed in vitamix). And then add tomatoes, avocado, etc.

Other questions-

Not sure. Don't weigh myself. Muscle has been maintained.

-My fiance is looking to lose excess belly fat. He doesn't listen to my opinion on calories lol he thinks raw will be his fix!
He will need to do circuit training and fat burning exercises and have a caloric deficit.

do you find yourself to a greater or lesser amount of raw food then cooked food?
More raw, 95-100%

yes, increased a lot! esp. with no gluten/grains!
#10 Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Beginner

I'll be watching this thread with interest - I'll need to lose some weight post-baby and more raw would hopefully help - in the summer months anyway (although it gets pretty cold here in the winter so not sure how well it would work for me then)
#11 Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

brad's raw leafy kale
two moms in the raw bars
RAAW drinks

I have found those things okay on occasion, but they are high in oils and salt for the Awesome foods ones and I find the raw bars/leafy kale dehydrating. Fresh green smoothies are a better option!

Not often. Sometimes. I esp. like to make things salt-free.

Is a dehydrator a must?

No!
Lettuce wraps with raw "refried beans" are nice. I make them from sunflower seeds, sundried tomatoes, lime juice, jalapenos, cilantro (pureed in vitamix). And then add tomatoes, avocado, etc.

Other questions-

Not sure. Don't weigh myself. Muscle has been maintained.

He will need to do circuit training and fat burning exercises and have a caloric deficit.

More raw, 95-100%

yes, increased a lot! esp. with no gluten/grains!

I meant do you have to eat more of raw food to feel full then cooked foood? Sorry my wording was confusing lol.

I do enjoy green smoothies, but I feel like they don't fill me up. I think it's all mental, I want to sit down and chew something idk it's weird.

Also, when adding kale to smoothies do you leave the stems on?

Sorry I'm so interested!
I will always eat oatmeal though (so warm and filling)
#12 Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Gib
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I meant do you have to eat more of raw food to feel full then cooked foood? Sorry my wording was confusing lol.

I eat a lot of slaw for lack of a better term. It's chopped cabbage, kale, broccoil, carrots, onions, squash, jicama, bell peppers etc. usually with a citrus and spices dressing of some sort. It definitely filling. Takes a while to eat that much ruffage. Maybe that's why it's filling compared to say my breakfast fruit smoothie that I drink in a hurry.
#13 Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I do enjoy green smoothies, but I feel like they don't fill me up. I think it's all mental, I want to sit down and chew something idk it's weird.

Also, when adding kale to smoothies do you leave the stems on?

Sorry I'm so interested!
I will always eat oatmeal though (so warm and filling)

I'm sorry. Yes, usually raw foods digest faster and have less calories than cooked foods, so you do need more volume. Sorry I didn't answer your q.

No, I don't leave the kale stems on. Do you?
#14 Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

No I haven't been leaving them on, but this woman at work told me that I should for more nutrition? I was just wondering if there was any truth to that?

I got this last night:

I was skimming through another raw book that was more geared towards meals, but I think I'm going to work my way up that.
I was getting really overwhelmed because it seems like every recipe needed A LOT of different ingredients....
#15 Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Beginner

My girlfriend has that book. We haven't made anything from it but it all looks good. But it's more "gourmet" raw stuff as mentioned and it's higher in fat and cals.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#16 Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Yeah, and a lot of recipes call for honey or bee pollen.
They also, call for coconut oil...which I wouldnt want to use.
I'm chalking it up to a waste of money.
#17 Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Beginner

Coconut oil expensive? well it depends which way you look at it I think. I also use it as a facial moisturiser and it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than conventional moisturisers, and I'd say equally if not more effective. You only use such a tiny amount at a time that one pot lasts for ages.

Also it tastes incredible! I am fanatical about the stuff as you can tell!
#18 Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Coconut oil is great as far as fats go but you don't want to be eating a lot of fats, especially oils.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samphire View Post

Coconut oil expensive? well it depends which way you look at it I think. I also use it as a facial moisturiser and it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than conventional moisturisers, and I'd say equally if not more effective. You only use such a tiny amount at a time that one pot lasts for ages.

Also it tastes incredible! I am fanatical about the stuff as you can tell!

I don't think it's expensive, I just don't like the idea of adding oils to anything.
I don't add any to my food now even when cooking...
#20 Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Beginner

I'm a raw vegan who does ultra endurance sporting events and i have tons of energy. actually i'm mostly frutarian, besides the spinach, kale and veggies i put in my salad every night. i also use zero oil. i'm not super super strict, i do a potluck at our house every month and i eat whatever i want then. also special occasions i might too but in general, i found the step from vegan to raw vegan gave me the same energy/ results / fat loss i got from going omnivore to vegan.

www.GoTeamGreenGo.com
Swim - Cycle - Run - Train - Live - Vegan
#21 Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Trendy View Post

I'm a raw vegan who does ultra endurance sporting events and i have tons of energy. actually i'm mostly frutarian, besides the spinach, kale and veggies i put in my salad every night. i also use zero oil. i'm not super super strict, i do a potluck at our house every month and i eat whatever i want then. also special occasions i might too but in general, i found the step from vegan to raw vegan gave me the same energy/ results / fat loss i got from going omnivore to vegan.

I'm glad to hear that because most raw recipes and treats that I have recently come across- contain oil.
Obviously I know prepackaged things I buy now contain oils and thats why I don't use any in food I make, but when I go mostly raw I'm trying to completely eliminate it.
#22 Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

It is important to have some fat in your diet, though, or fat-soluble vitamins cannot be absorbed properly. So then maybe avocado? Or how do you get your fats?

My vegan son eats a good percentage raw, and he has to eat a lot of food to get enough calories and good nutrition.
#23 Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

I LOVE avocados. I also like nut butters, but nearly as much as avocado.
#24 Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

It is important to have some fat in your diet, though, or fat-soluble vitamins cannot be absorbed properly. So then maybe avocado? Or how do you get your fats?

My vegan son eats a good percentage raw, and he has to eat a lot of food to get enough calories and good nutrition.

You don't have to include an overtly fatty item in your diet to get fat, though.
#25 Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Beginner

avocado, nuts, seeds, etc... although i think most people overeat these items, lots of fat and calories in a small amount.

make sure, even if you are not raw, to buy the raw versions of nuts and seeds otherwise you get A TON of added salt and oil that is totally unnecessary.

www.GoTeamGreenGo.com
#26 Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

avocado, nuts, seeds, etc... although i think most people overeat these items, lots of fat and calories in a small amount.

make sure, even if you are not raw, to buy the raw versions of nuts and seeds otherwise you get A TON of added salt and oil that is totally unnecessary.

Yeah, I get them from what I call the "raw aisle" at whole foods for my fiance.
They are really expensive though
#27 Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Beginner

i get raw almonds for $3.99 a pound, and one pound lasts me a week. i just buy whatever are on sale. shop by price, not by what you want. =)

www.GoTeamGreenGo.com
#28 Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:

i get raw almonds for $3.99 a pound, and one pound lasts me a week. i just buy whatever are on sale. shop by price, not by what you want. =)

Garggghhh it costs me over twice as much- 200g of raw almonds from H&B is 3.99.... sterling!!!
#29 Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

He doesn't like almonds!
Ofcourse....haha
#30 Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:

He doesn't like almonds!
Ofcourse....haha

he sounds pure evil then.

www.GoTeamGreenGo.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version