Thinning hair and hair loss on raw vegan diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Beginner

Has anyone ever experienced hair loss and/or hair thinning on a raw vegan diet? If so, what did you do to stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Beginner

Are you eating enough? Sometimes this happens when you aren't getting enough food or nutrients.
#3 Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Banned

I have never "raw food " but have fasted and never had hair loss , but stress can cause it . Can take up to 3 months for the hair loss to show , also and I think you know , but protein (lack of ) will cause it as well and that can also be delayed .

During winter for some reason I have hair loss so I don't know what part of the world you are from .

See you have been to the Dr and your blood etc seems to be o/k so keep working at it and you will find an answer
#4 Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Beginner

I had some blood work done and my thyroid is fine. I am not deficient in iron either. I went to the dermatologist and her only advice was to use Rogaine. Baldness/hair loss/severe hair thinning doesn't run in my family so I don't think it is genetic.

I think I get enough protein in my diet. I use both nutritional yeast (I know not raw) and hemp protein powder (usually 2 tablespoons in my green smoothie). I've also been using raw maca powder which is supposed to be a good source of protein too.

I have 1 to 2 green smoothies a day as well as a green salad for my greens intake. I probably could try increasing this but I can only eat so many greens.

I started on a new multi-vitamin about a month ago (One A Day Maximum) and take both b12 and biotin pills daily. I also take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil mixed in with my green smoothies.

I really do not know what else to do. I even tried not shampooing but after 3 days I just couldn't take it anymore. My hair is also very dry despite numerous salon and home based conditioning treatments. I even tried just coconut oil but that didn't do much for me either.

I would think that both the dry hair and hair thinning are related to some sort of nutrient deficiency or low caloric intake but I am not sure. Any thoughts?
#5 Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Beginner

I think that could possibly be a fatty acid deficiency. How much do you get in your diet? I don't think one tb of flaxseed oil is enough to get everything you need. Do you eat ground flaxseed too? Do you have any other sources of omega 6 like sunflower seeds, other seeds/nuts, or safflower or sunflower oil? Try eating the coconut oil instead of putting it on your hair, or better yet eating coconuts - they are very high in nutritious fatty acids.
#6 Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaries78 View Post

I think that could possibly be a fatty acid deficiency. How much do you get in your diet? I don't think one tb of flaxseed oil is enough to get everything you need. Do you eat ground flaxseed too? Do you have any other sources of omega 6 like sunflower seeds, other seeds/nuts, or safflower or sunflower oil? Try eating the coconut oil instead of putting it on your hair, or better yet eating coconuts - they are very high in nutritious fatty acids.

I bought some whole flax seeds last week. I recently started soaking them and adding them to my green smoothies too, usually 2 to 3 tablespoons. Occasionally I will add a handful of pine nuts to my salads. How much fatty acids should I be consuming?
#7 Old 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Beginner

I'm not really sure - I did some searching and couldn't really find a straight answer....I don't think it's really agreed upon....But one tablespoon of flaxseed oil doesn't sound like enough....What does the container say? I've also heard flaxseed should be ground in order for your body to absorb the oils, otherwise they go right through you. Flax is high in Omega-3 but not 6 and 9, which are also essential fatty acids....So you may want to look at other possible sources for that.

The reason that came to mind is I know that dry or flaky scalp/hair is a symptom of deficiency in fatty acids....Maybe if your scalp was dry enough it could cause hair loss? I'm no expert, but my skin and scalp is very dry and someone suggested this to me, which made me realize I wasn't getting enough 'healthy' fat.
#8 Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Beginner

If you take food or diet supplements that my be the reason for the hair loss. I read there are all kind of products that my cause it so you might check out the list or google any product you use.
#9 Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Do you have any other symptoms?

I had a candida type condition and had severe hair loss on raw.My other symptoms were rashes. I went off raw because of it and started to eat meat for the first time in over 20 years. Now i am back on 100% raw eating "80/10/10 Dr Doug Grahams 'diet'".He deals with candida in a whole different way. i am sure if i started without all the high fat raw foods i would never have had the hair loss to begin with. I am a bit of a zealot because i went through alot of physical stuff ,eating raw in a way that did not work for me,yet i just knew raw was right for me.

Good luck!
#10 Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Beginner

I'm still dealing with this problem. It seems like it comes and goes. My hair has thinned out so much but luckily I still have a full head of hair...no bald spots! My hair is also very dry regardless of what conditioning products I use.

I am no longer eating high raw but I am eating about 75% raw vegan and 25% cooked vegan or sometimes cooked vegetarian. I'm trying to eat more hemp seeds and nuts but I have not really noticed a huge difference.

Anything else I should look into trying or doing differently?
#11 Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Banned

I was a vegetarian for 8 years and suffered from chronic lethargy and 10-30 extra pounds that wouldn't go away. My hair was dull and weak.

I started eating salmon, eggs and chicken, and my weight dropped off effortlessly, I had tons of energy, and after a year or so, my hair was glossy, full and silky.

I started dating a strict raw vegan, and eating like he did. After a year, I'm depressed, lethargic, gained back the weight, and my hair is devastatingly thin dull and it seems like a lot has fallen out.

In a panic, I went to the chinese doctor and he told me what I knew in my heart - I have to start eating meat again and warm nourishing foods. The cold raw foods and lack of protein are signaling to my body that I'm in hard times, so I'm conserving calories and my hair is falling out like the leaves on a tree in winter.

I'm keeping my amazing raw diet, but I'm adding hot salmon and occasional organic grass fed beef back into my diet.

Raw Vegan is a fad, but it's not the healthiest choice for every constitution. Eat Intuitively and with Love.

I hope your hair grows back. If you get any other great advice, let me know - I don't even feel like leaving the house until my hair recovers from the vegan diet.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page