5Likes
  • 1 Post By Zasko
  • 1 Post By Tesseract
  • 1 Post By jenna
  • 1 Post By SamuelWilson
  • 1 Post By Zasko

#1 Old 05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Is it safe to eat uncooked mushrooms? I usually eat shiitake or portabella daily but I've always cooked them in the past. I'd like to go raw with mushrooms as I have with fruits and veggies, but I know they're a whole different category. Just curious to know if there's any short/long term issues with eating them. Those spores worry me unless I cook them!
HealthyEatin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Beginner

I put them on my salad at salad bar restaurants all the time. As long as they're cleaned, I don't see an issue. Or let's say, I don't see any issue beyond the possiblity of cross-contamination that you would have with any raw vegetable.
HealthyEatin likes this.
#3 Old 05-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Beginner

I eat raw portobellos all the time.

I wash them and de-stem them. They are great with raw, homemade guacamole and chopped tomatoes on top.

I also use them in this really good raw fettucini dish.
HealthyEatin likes this.
#4 Old 05-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Eating raw organic mushrooms is safe. If you want them to take on more of the texture of cooked, you can marinate them in EVOO and then dehydrate them. I do this when I make my pesto stuffed mushrooms.

I also harvest wild mushrooms and eat them. However, this is very dangerous unless you know what you are doing. I thought about starting a thread on the subject one time, but I would feel bad if someone ate a mushroom that was poisonous.
HealthyEatin likes this.
#5 Old 05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Beginner

Never thought about eating them with guacamole. May have to try that sometime as I make an excellent guac that gets no action these days since dropping tortilla chips a few months ago.

Seems like I seriously need to invest in a dehydrator. If they truly take on the texture of cooked after being marniated and dehydrated, then I think I'm sold! I just tried to eat some of my shiitake raw and it honestly felt like I had chicken skin slipping between my teeth. My friend has a dehydrator she never used, maybe I can buy it off her. I've gotten use to diet changes in the past, raw mushrooms will come around for me eventually now that I know they're safe to eat. Thanks for the replies everyone

SamuelWilson - You're probably right in regards to someone eating the wrong mushroom. I know I'd be super thrilled and eat the first mushroom I came across after hearing wild mushrooms are edible.
HealthyEatin likes this.
#6 Old 05-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Beginner

You could try the carrot and parsnip fettucini that I make a lot. It calls for marinating and dehydrating the portobellos. They turn out so good.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=49435
#7 Old 05-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Wow Jenna! You did an impeccable job recreating the recipe if those are your photos. Now I am completly in dire need of a dehydrator. This can be the first thing I make with it
#8 Old 05-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Beginner

I eat both portobella and shiitake mushrooms raw. The portabellas are really good with guacamole!
#9 Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Beginner

Ate a supermarket mushroom raw yesterday; tasty enough, but oh dear, woke up feeling like I'd eaten a rotten apple Might've been coincidental, but got myself on Google and found this...

http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/EatingRawMushrooms.html

Be careful! (even in Tescos)
#10 Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Beginner

I've always eaten raw mushrooms. They're tasty. Just make sure you wash 'em.
#11 Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profilus View Post

Ate a supermarket mushroom raw yesterday; tasty enough, but oh dear, woke up feeling like I'd eaten a rotten apple Might've been coincidental, but got myself on Google and found this...

http://www.mykoweb.com/articles/EatingRawMushrooms.html

Be careful! (even in Tescos)

While this is a really great link, thanks I too have been eating raw mushrooms for years and never had any problem. I don't even wash them, I just wipe them with soft cloth, or brush. Also, I don't think that restaurants could legally serve them raw if they were more dangerous than any other raw veggie. Having said that....there is ALWAYS a chance of cross contamination with any raw food. This risk also increases the more hands touch your food on its way to you. I think if it was the mushroom that made you ill, it was something that came in contact with it, not the actual fungi. I think the risk of illness is the same for all produce.....most food borne illness start with raw foods. Remember the green onion, spinach, and lettuce outbreaks???
#12 Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Well, I get closed cup mushroooms from the supermarket and eat them raw in salads, so I guess they're OK.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#13 Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Beginner

I've never had a problem with raw mushrooms.

I think that MykoWeb link is very questionable. I'm willing to bet this story was passed on by a "friend of a friend who knew someone who heard about..." or it's some kind of folktale

Quote:
By dramatic example, a few free-spirited youths in Hawaii a few years ago blithely consumed blue-staining Psilocybes as they went collecting from cow patties. What a downer it must have been a short while later, when the doctor told them they had nematodes!

Nematodes aren't really that easy to diagnose, and the "free spirited youths" aren't really all going to be crapping out worms after eating mushrooms or something like that. And even if by some fantastical event they all got diagnosed with nematodes, you can get nematodes from any vegetable - how would they know it was the mushrooms?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Beginner

I've never had any problems with mushrooms. I eat them raw all the time. I like to put them in salads.
#15 Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessican3267 View Post

I've never had any problems with mushrooms. I eat them raw all the time. I like to put them in salads.

I usually buy the button mushrooms. I need to try the Portabello or the ****ake mushrooms sometime
#16 Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Beginner

Ive eaten a portabella mushrom "burger" twice in the month and both times fell ill 3-6 hours later. First time i ate half and had horrible diarrhea for a few hours. Wasn't quite sure if it was from the mushroom. Second time, i ate the entire sandwich and along with soft stool, I had the shakes w heart palps, then a few hours later extremely nauseous, running to the bathroom! Not sure if i just cannot digest it or some type of toxin is disagreeing w me. Im not much of a mushroom eater but simply wanted to try meat alternatives. Anyone have similar story?
#17 Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Beginner

I've recently eating raw mushroom ceviche in a raw food restaurant. They 'cooked' it in lemon juice. They said that the lemon juice makes them more suitable for eating. I don't know exactly what the chemical processes are behind this. It was delicious though, I never thought I'd eat raw mushrooms.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Solkiki for stone ground, bean-to-bar, vegan, white, milk and dark, caramel and raw chocolate
Like our new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solkiki/723232394365556?ref=hl
Low cost international shipping!

#18 Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solkiki View Post

I've recently eating raw mushroom ceviche in a raw food restaurant. They 'cooked' it in lemon juice. They said that the lemon juice makes them more suitable for eating. I don't know exactly what the chemical processes are behind this. It was delicious though, I never thought I'd eat raw mushrooms.

Oh, that sounds interesting.  Citrus juice is one way of chemically cooking things; although I don't know quite how it would work on mushrooms.

Citric acid is pretty strong, and makes a lot of chemical bonds, making nutrients more available.

#19 Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessican3267 View Post

Me too and I haven't died (yet) :up:

I prefer them cooked in garlic-infused olive oil though.

#20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Ate raw mushrooms often,no problem,tasty thing.No wrong stuff out of it

#21 Old 08-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Mushrooms contain some of the most potent natural medicines on the planet. Of the 140,000 species of mushroom-forming fungi, science is familiar with only 10 percent, according to world-renown mycologist Paul Stamets, who has written six books on the topic.

About 100 species of mushrooms are being studied for their health-promoting benefits. Of those hundred, about a half dozen really stand out for their ability to deliver a tremendous boost to your immune system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page