sprouted split peas...now what? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Beginner

Okay, it took 2 days but I sprouted some yellow split peas. Now what? They're softer now...do I just eat them? They don't taste very good...maybe in a salad? What do all of you do with your sprouts and can you suggest some better tasting ones?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Beginner

They don't taste very good, Different? Are they bitter, or sort of...old-tasting?

I would put them on a salad but it need not be a raw salad if you are not 100% raw. I put sprouted lentils on steamed kale and broccoli and they're right on.
#3 Old 06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Beginner

I bet they are "old" tasting. Thanks for the advice. I just wasn't sure what to do with them. I'm not 100% raw yet but getting there. I'll try sprouting some lentils later on and report back!
#4 Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Beginner

Sounds good. Sometimes if your source "seed" is on the old side, your sprouts won't taste great, or if they are slow to germinate [although it sounds like yours were timely] they can taste a little dodgy.

Do you sprout anything else? Alfalfa and clover are nice easy starters that are hard to screw up.
#5 Old 06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Beginner

I've actually just started sprouting. The peas were my first. This may sound like a silly question, but where do I get clover? Will they have this stuff at a place like Whole Foods? I've been vegan forever but just started experimenting with Raw Fooding. I would love any advice on what to get and where to get it.

Thanks...I really needed this help!
#6 Old 06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Beginner

Hey, no worries. My mom has been sprouting alfalfa regularly since I was born...when I first saw sprouts in the store I was like "WTF? These are the easiest tastiest things in the world to make". Now I've gotten lazy and will sometimes buy them but your posts have re-inspired me.

You should find an abundance of various sprouting seeds in the bulk areas of any HFS and probably Whole Foods too. Take a mason jar [old pasta-sauce jars are ideal] and a piece of netting [or I use old pantyhose, teehee] and an elastic band*. Put about 1 tbsp seeds in the jar, fill halfway with water, and leave in a cool but relatively well-lit spot for 24 hours. [i.e. not so sunny that they "cook" but light enough to get the little dudes going]

After that soaking time, drain the water out of your netted top. Run water through the net to rinse, then drain again, so they are drained and sitting in a little bit of moisture, and then just repeat that step until they turn into yer typical sprouts! You can sprout broccoli, clover, alfalfa, onion etc...all little seeds...in this way.

*You can also use the "rings" from the Mason jar lids that are a ring/disc combo. Works great.
#7 Old 06-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Beginner

Thanks so much! I honestly was looking at a piece of brocolli the other day and wondering how to sprout it. (haha) I read that you cannot use regular seeds that you plant in the garden, so I was natuarally confused. I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow and will see what I can find. Are these seeds labeled as "Sprouting Seeds" or are they usually just in the bulk section?
#8 Old 06-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Beginner

They should be labelled as sprouting seeds. My store sells them in tiny ZipLocs, along with netting and little starter kits for those that are interested. Ask the staff to make sure they're not hiding them somewhere.

Let me know how it works out!
#9 Old 06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Thanks again!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page