Can oats be eaten raw? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2004, 02:49 AM
Beginner

Hi there

I would just like to know if i can make my own muesli with raw oats, nuts, banana and milk? What is the nutritional value of oats raw? Or is it better to cook them?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2004, 05:17 AM
Beginner

I eat oats raw almost every morning, and it hasn't done me any harm. Like you, I make my own muesli. I really don't know about the nutritional content of them though and how it differs between cooked and raw, but perhaps someone else can help you there.
#3 Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Beginner

I eat them raw too, usually just mixed in with yoghurt or something. Like Bobsy I'm not sure of the nutritional content though. Except they ARE supposed to be good for you!
#4 Old 11-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Beginner

Are most oats raw when they come in a container...such as Quaker Oats? Because I never cook them, (my roomie thinks I am insane because I just open up a container of oats and go at it with a spoon hehe), but I didn't think they were raw-raw. Are they?
#5 Old 11-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Are most oats raw when they come in a container...such as Quaker Oats? Because I never cook them, (my roomie thinks I am insane because I just open up a container of oats and go at it with a spoon hehe), but I didn't think they were raw-raw. Are they?

You are correct-they are steamed at very high temps. They aren't actually raw.
#6 Old 11-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Beginner

Can you get raw-raw oats anywhere? That would be awesome.
#7 Old 11-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Baby Love

Hmmm. What about rolled oats? That is the most raw form, I know of. Are they steamed too?
#8 Old 11-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Can you get raw-raw oats anywhere? That would be awesome.

Yeah, definitely. Any grocery store with a nice size bulk department (most health food stores) will have raw oats. They won't be rolled however, and they'd be pretty unenjoyable to eat as is.
#9 Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Yeah, definitely. Any grocery store with a nice size bulk department (most health food stores) will have raw oats. They won't be rolled however, and they'd be pretty unenjoyable to eat as is.

Mikie, in my experience, they are actually not very enjoyable to eat (ouch! ). They would hurt your teeth! Raw oats are hard like rice. Here is a picture of what raw oats look like.
LL
#10 Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote that they'd be unenjoyable to eat.
#11 Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Yeah, I know. That's why I wrote that they'd be unenjoyable to eat.

So nice that we agree! (Why do I get the tounge when we agree? )
#12 Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Beginner

What if I buy raw oats like the ones in the pic and ground them up?
#13 Old 11-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Banned

I would suggest you soak any raw grain in water rather than eat them raw. They will absorb moisture in your digestive tract and swell if they aren't presoaked or cooked in some manner. Talk about a major tummy ache!
#14 Old 11-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Banned

Yes,millons of horse's do it everyday.
#15 Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Hmmm. What about rolled oats? That is the most raw form, I know of. Are they steamed too?

I think it's rolled oats that I have. And from what I can tell from a quick google search, they are steamed.
#16 Old 11-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Beginner

I wish I could just go into a random grain field and just start munching on them raw. I am strange, but raw grains make me feel healthier.
#17 Old 11-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

CK, you can. Just don't over do it. Wheat straight out of the field is good, tender, and kind of sweet.
#18 Old 12-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Beginner

I eat (raw) oat groats after I have soaked them. I soak them for at least 8 hours. I soak all grains and nuts before eating.
#19 Old 12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Beginner

*giggles* I remember my friend sitting on the floor of her kitchen eating oats right out of the can. It was funny.

So yes, you can eat them raw...
#20 Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Head View Post

*giggles* I remember my friend sitting on the floor of her kitchen eating oats right out of the can. It was funny.

I remember eating unbaked cookies made with chocolate chips, oats and peanut butter... MMM!

In this case, those oats (like the ones you saw your friend eating out of the can) aren't really "Raw" they are steamed/rolled (cooked) and dried, much like Tofu packaged in water isn't really "Raw" either, as it has been cooked in the processing.
#21 Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Head View Post

Hehe, I was just sitting on the floor eating the rolled oats out of the can. I searched "eat raw oats" in google to find some info about them and Veggie boards came up in the top 10!!! I guess they are not raw after all!

I just thought I would comment on that coincidence!
#22 Old 05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Rolled oats and the kinds in the packaes are anythin but raw. You do want the as close to WHOLE as suitable kind called RAW OAT GROATS.

Yes soak raw oats and buckwheat go great together, its the best really, soak them overnight and then rinse twice in the morning then drain completely.

(You can pop a few unsoaked ones into your mouth and they aren't nearly as hard as rice is, so you can chew them dry and raw but...)

Learn to transition to raw by only heating/undercooking 1/5 of the grains you want to eat for 1 to 2 minutes, after the 1/5 is heated up (best to warm only on a gas flame in a pyrex glass with lid like Corning Visions) remove the lid and put the 1/5 warm grains over the 4/5 raw grains you did not heat and stir together and serve.

Alternatively and or beforehand you can mix your soaked but unheated grains together with 1 spoon of organic miso some sea salt and lemon juice and add broccoli/maitake/kale/any veggies you want, personally I think the sea salt and lemon brings rainbow kale to life.
#23 Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Banned

Raw Oats are good for health .....

I usually have it in the morning , its very nutritious .

Carel

http://mackgonzalves.blogster.com/subliminal_tapes.html
#24 Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Yes.  I eat oat groats most mornings.  I rinse them real well then put in a cup along with some flaxseed, chia, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, 5 almonds chopped up, star anise (this I take out later and discard after it has soaked) a sprinkling of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.  A handful of dried blueberries (or raisens or other raw fruit) then I add coconut or almond milk and let soak overnight for at least 8-12hrs.  The oats aren't rock hard but more chewy at this point.  It isn't like oatmeal from the store, you have to chew this stuff.  It is pretty good if I do say so myself.

This was a recipe from food babe that I altered to suit my tastes and what I had on hand.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page