Blanching??? Still considered raw? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Blanching??? Still considered raw?

Hi all!

I suspect I know the answer to this question, but I'd like to get a general consensus.

Would you consider a vegetable to be raw if it has been blanched for a very short period of time? I would suppose so since the boiling point of water is 212, which is well above 40. However, the amount of time it spends in that water is generally very low.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

It wouldn't be considered raw but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
It wouldn't be considered raw but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.
Was just thinking about all the produce you'd have to get and eat on a totally raw diet. Was pondering ways of helping it keep for longer times. Guess it doesn't matter if you can't consider it to be raw after blanching.

#4 Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

dehydrating, fermenting, and pickling are raw ways to preserve veggies
#5 Old 08-31-2016, 05:28 PM

I didn't consider fermenting! All of those methods change the taste, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
#6 Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

The Raw forum here used to be quite active.
Do a search for Penny79 esp., as well as Kiwibird. They haven't been around for a while, but Kiwi pops in and out
Penny79 was quite knowledgable and had been a raw vegan for quite a long time, as well as an athlete.
#7 Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tips. To the search box I go!
#8 Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGrows View Post
Was just thinking about all the produce you'd have to get and eat on a totally raw diet.
You can be raw and eat 500 calories or less a day. What produce?
You can eat loads of calorie dense foods such as dried fruits and nuts and seeds. That's just half a kilo.

If you want to be healthy, then it does take roughly a kilo for lettuce, a kilo or two for fruits and berries, and they go down so easily! So what's the problem? There's more waste produce for other prodcuts, only you don't eat them.

So if you enjoy eating, it's a win situation as you get something healthy, something tasty, and you get lots of it.
#9 Old 03-13-2017, 10:16 PM
person

chestnutjam:

500 -800 calories an extreme starvation diet.

Women (on average) should eat around 2,000 to maintain their weight and 1,200 to lose about a bout 1lb a week.
For men it's 2,500 to maintain and 2,000 to lose.

No wonder you were complaining of fatigue in your other thread.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
chestnutjam:

500 -800 calories an extreme starvation diet.

Women (on average) should eat around 2,000 to maintain their weight and 1,200 to lose about a bout 1lb a week.
For men it's 2,500 to maintain and 2,000 to lose.

No wonder you were complaining of fatigue in your other thread.
The number of calories someone needs for maintenance is going to depend on each individual's weight, height, and very important -- how active they are. There is no one average, really.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#11 Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 AM
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
The number of calories someone needs for maintenance is going to depend on each individual's weight, height, and very important -- how active they are. There is no one average, really.
Couldn't agree with you more - that's why I put "on average" The average person may not exist but the average still does. You can take 20 people and weigh them, all have different weights. You add up all the weights and divide by 20 and get the average weight of the 20 people. Perhaps none of them actually weigh the same as the average weight but you still have an average weight.

A woman who is 5ft tall is going to need a lot less calories than a 6ft one and there are lots of other variables as well so you have to talk about that sort of thing in averages.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#12 Old 03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
Couldn't agree with you more - that's why I put "on average" The average person may not exist but the average still does. You can take 20 people and weigh them, all have different weights. You add up all the weights and divide by 20 and get the average weight of the 20 people. Perhaps none of them actually weigh the same as the average weight but you still have an average weight.

A woman who is 5ft tall is going to need a lot less calories than a 6ft one and there are lots of other variables as well so you have to talk about that sort of thing in averages.
Ah, okay. That makes sense if you meant it that way. I just constantly see people using the average to tell people their (individual) needs, so I wrongly assumed you meant it that way.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#13 Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM

I used to blanch my veggies and does not really cooked it in high/medium heat for a couple of minutes. I believe, you can actually eat foods specially vegetables even if its raw such as those used in salad. There is what we call raw food diet wherein the best choices of vegetables to eat there are those freshly picked from the farm or those from farmers market. But in case its refrigerated already,the vitality is lessened even further. So every freshly picked veggies are somehow edible and can be eaten raw but mine is that I just usually buy it on markets which are then frozen, I do blanch it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page