VeggieBoards banner

I'm new to Chia seeds - Can you please help me out?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Thalassa4 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to chia seeds and was hoping you could please help me out.

Where do you all typically buy your chia seeds? (online, local store, etc?) And are there any specifics I should be looking for when choosing which brand to buy?

Thank you! I really appreciate it :)

#2 ·
Hi taylorj9 and welcome!

I buy my chia seeds in bulk from my local Whole Foods Coop. I don't really pay attention to brand names or where they came from, just when they got there (for freshness). I buy black ones and also white ones and have not really noticed much difference in performance between the two.

I have also seen them sold by Bob's Red Mill company and Arrowhead Mills and Hodgson companies prepackaged. If your store has a health food section or organic section you would find these brands there. I have even seem them in gluten free sections. They tend to be WAY more expensive prepackaged. I like to buy bulk when I can because I buy only what I will use in a few weeks to a month.

#3 ·
Hi taylorj9 and welcome!

I buy my chia seeds in bulk from my local Whole Foods Coop. I don't really pay attention to brand names or where they came from, just when they got there (for freshness). I buy black ones and also white ones and have not really noticed much difference in performance between the two.

I have also seen them sold by Bob's Red Mill company and Arrowhead Mills and Hodgson companies prepackaged. If your store has a health food section or organic section you would find these brands there. I have even seem them in gluten free sections. They tend to be WAY more expensive prepackaged. I like to buy bulk when I can because I buy only what I will use in a few weeks to a month.

#6 ·
Hi taylorj9 and welcome!

If there's a Superior market in anyone's near vicinity, they carry bags of chia, flax and quinoa extremely cheap.

#4 ·
My Aldi has been carrying them in the Simply Natural line ( or something like that - Simply Organic?). I don't recall how much, but cheaper than I'd seen anywhere else. I've been using them.

I really like to cut up fruit , sprinkle heavy with chia, and just a little soy or almond milk. By the time for break it's all pudding like. Esp like this with tropical fruits and ginger

I found this, and just may try growing it myself--
https://dengarden.com/gardening/How-I-grow-and-harvest-organic-Chia

#5 · (Edited)
I made some firm tofu yesterday. It had been frozen, thawed, drained and squeezed (but not pressed) and sliced into neat rectangles. I greased a pan lightly, and laid the strips on it. Then I put just a few tiny drops of sesame oil (I mean a few tiny drops, sesame oil is STRONG) before sprinkling with salt, pepper, paprika and Chia seeds. I baked until firm and slightly crisp.

The baked tofu was really great with the Chia seeds. I mixed tahini and Sriracha together for a dip, but you could use something totally different. ..it tasted good plain, too.

I have made Chia pudding overnight in the fridge before, and of course you can sprinkle it in oatmeal or on salads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.