VeggieBoards banner

Green Smoothie Drinkers -- How much do you drink a day?

42K views 94 replies 48 participants last post by  kinglemon 
#1 ·
I'm on week three of drinking green smoothies...on average this week I am drinking roughly 100 ounces total for the day. Just curious as to how much the rest of you drink on a daily basis. For what its worth, I can't seem to get enough....my body keeps craving more and more! But, I think that's a really good thing!

P.S. I've also changed the percentage of fruit to greens to 60% greens; 40% fruit...as opposed to when I first started -- then it was nearly 50/50.

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I have about 16-24 ounces a day. It's not the only place I get greens by far, but it's practically the only place I get fruit these days.
Same

For dinner I just had about 18 ounces consisting of 10 baby carrots, half a tomato, 2 kiwis, 1 banana, 5 cucumber slices, then I filled the space with ice and apple juice.
I ran out of strawberries yesterday

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieloaf View Post

What exactly does a green smoothie taste like? A v-8 or a fruity smoothie that is sweet? I drink protein style smoothies myself.
Depends on the ingredients and fruit:veggie ratio, some taste like v-8, some taste like veggies, some taste like fruit, very filling imo

#8 ·
I've only drank fruit with greens, meaning my smoothies are sweet to the taste. I only add water, fruit and greens...no other proteins added. I hope to get brave enough to try a savory one...I really like bloody mary's and would love to be able to from time to time drink that taste in a smoothie (without the alcohol of course)!

#9 ·
I strive for a quart jar (I just use a standard glass canning jar) a day. But some days I come in just shy of that because for whatever reason I didn't add enough ingredients and it just turns out that way.

If your body is craving them then I say give it all it can stand...but I know what you mean, once I started eating more RAW I no longer crave salty, processed snacks...now it's a green smoothie, fruit salad or a handful of nuts and let's not forget the Avos...yes, I peel & eat them like an orange!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheDuck View Post

hahaha
grape fruit is so BITTER! I personally cant stand it
So I'm new to this (raw food eating)
how do I make myself a green smoothie, and what exactly is it?

Thanks!
They are, what a waste of good veggies, I tried so hard to get it all down but literally almost threw up in my sink.
Basically a green smoothie is a bunch of fruits and veggies that you like blended together (thats how I think of it anyways) You get all the vitamins ans minerals in the produce in a quick snack/meal. I have one every night for dinner, I find them very filling.

#17 ·
Quote:

do you guys think this would be good
strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed
apple juice or almond milk

does that sound good? Should I add more veggies? What veggies should I add that are good in smoothies?
Thanks
No veggies in that one. Try a leafy green. Cucumbers are a fruit. And I'd ditch the apple juice or almond milk unless they are freshly made by you.

#19 ·
Quote:

do you guys think this would be good
strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed
apple juice or almond milk

does that sound good? Should I add more veggies? What veggies should I add that are good in smoothies?
Thanks
That sounds tasty to me, although I might try baby spinach and other greens in there too.

Reactions: janetc
#22 ·
Lettuce and spinach will blend just fine. I put in my greens first to blend with water then I add in the fruit.

I drink about 2 liters a day, sometimes more. This morning I had one with 6 cups of kale, 2 bananas, 3 mandarins, 1 mango, and 1tsp raw coconut butter and like 4 or 5 cups of water. I like mine pretty liquidy.

#23 ·
About 32 oz maybe 4 or 5 times a week.
They're usually green because of romaine or kale in them. Occasionally they're orange if I put carrots in without greens, sometimes they're blue if I put a bunch of grapes or blueberries in with a dozen brazil nuts. Sometimes I use the smoothie to put on granola but it's taste usually doesn't go too well with it but I don't mind.
Today's smoothie had romaine lettuce, two bananas, two small apple, a piece of celery, a dozen macadamia nuts, and some water.

I usually don't use regular lettuce in them. And I don't remember using grapefruit in them but I like eating grapefruit by themselves, their quality varied a lot this past year so I usually only buy two and then if they're good I'll go back and buy more.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggilnv View Post

About 32 oz maybe 4 or 5 times a week.
They're usually green because of romaine or kale in them. Occasionally they're orange if I put carrots in without greens, sometimes they're blue if I put a bunch of grapes or blueberries in with a dozen brazil nuts. Sometimes I use the smoothie to put on granola but it's taste usually doesn't go too well with it but I don't mind.
Today's smoothie had romaine lettuce, two bananas, two small apple, a piece of celery, a dozen macadamia nuts, and some water.

I usually don't use regular lettuce in them. And I don't remember using grapefruit in them but I like eating grapefruit by themselves, their quality varied a lot this past year so I usually only buy two and then if they're good I'll go back and buy more.
Mine are normally brown because of the lettuce and carrots, looks like sewage tastes like jamba juice

#26 ·
This morning's fare was:

3 cups of water, 2 extra large collard leaves, 2 bananas, and then frozen fruit blend (peaches, mango, strawberries and pineapple). This makes around 60 oz., of which I drink around 40 oz. for breakfast and then pack the additional 10 oz. for part of my lunch. I usually take the leftovers of my son's smoothie (24 oz.) to have with my other 10 oz. from breakfast for lunch. Then I make another large 50 oz. one to have before dinner. I'm lovin' my green smoothies.

My family and I tend to use the following greens in our smoothies mixed with fruit and water only (no protein powder or anything else needed in my opinion):

collards
spinach
kale (both green and red)
parsley (for me, not the hubby or son -- too bitter for them)
chard

I'm not a big fan of the lettuces....tried romaine (and it tasted like dirt to me). I also tried red leaf lettuce and I didn't like it either.

P.s. All of the above greens are organic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.