Green Smoothie Drinkers -- How much do you drink a day? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Beginner

I'm on week three of drinking green smoothies...on average this week I am drinking roughly 100 ounces total for the day. Just curious as to how much the rest of you drink on a daily basis. For what its worth, I can't seem to get enough....my body keeps craving more and more! But, I think that's a really good thing!

P.S. I've also changed the percentage of fruit to greens to 60% greens; 40% fruit...as opposed to when I first started -- then it was nearly 50/50.
HealthyEatin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I don't keep track. Maybe about 48 oz. but also at least 2,000 calories from other foods as well.
HealthyEatin likes this.
#3 Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Beginner

I have about 16-24 ounces a day. It's not the only place I get greens by far, but it's practically the only place I get fruit these days.
HealthyEatin likes this.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#4 Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I have about 16-24 ounces a day. It's not the only place I get greens by far, but it's practically the only place I get fruit these days.

Same

For dinner I just had about 18 ounces consisting of 10 baby carrots, half a tomato, 2 kiwis, 1 banana, 5 cucumber slices, then I filled the space with ice and apple juice.
I ran out of strawberries yesterday

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#5 Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Beginner

What exactly does a green smoothie taste like? A v-8 or a fruity smoothie that is sweet? I drink protein style smoothies myself.

Viva Vegetarians!
#6 Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieloaf View Post

What exactly does a green smoothie taste like? A v-8 or a fruity smoothie that is sweet? I drink protein style smoothies myself.

Depends on the ingredients and fruit:veggie ratio, some taste like v-8, some taste like veggies, some taste like fruit, very filling imo

#7 Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Penny you said:
Quote:
I don't keep track. Maybe about 48 oz. but also at least 2,000 calories from other foods as well.

Wow! You must eat a truckload of fruits and veggies too. Are you eating ALL DAY?!
#8 Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

I've only drank fruit with greens, meaning my smoothies are sweet to the taste. I only add water, fruit and greens...no other proteins added. I hope to get brave enough to try a savory one...I really like bloody mary's and would love to be able to from time to time drink that taste in a smoothie (without the alcohol of course)!
#9 Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Beginner

I strive for a quart jar (I just use a standard glass canning jar) a day. But some days I come in just shy of that because for whatever reason I didn't add enough ingredients and it just turns out that way.

If your body is craving them then I say give it all it can stand...but I know what you mean, once I started eating more RAW I no longer crave salty, processed snacks...now it's a green smoothie, fruit salad or a handful of nuts and let's not forget the Avos...yes, I peel & eat them like an orange!
#10 Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish1128 View Post

Penny you said:

Wow! You must eat a truckload of fruits and veggies too. Are you eating ALL DAY?!

No, not at all. It takes like 10 min. to eat a whole pineapple.
#11 Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Beginner

Oh god, not to self NEVER add grapefruit to my smoothie ever again It was so gross, I downed half of it for the sake of getting the vitamins but nearly puked in the process.

#12 Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Beginner

hahaha
grape fruit is so BITTER! I personally cant stand it
So I'm new to this (raw food eating)
how do I make myself a green smoothie, and what exactly is it?

Thanks!
#13 Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheDuck View Post

hahaha
grape fruit is so BITTER! I personally cant stand it
So I'm new to this (raw food eating)
how do I make myself a green smoothie, and what exactly is it?

Thanks!

They are, what a waste of good veggies, I tried so hard to get it all down but literally almost threw up in my sink.
Basically a green smoothie is a bunch of fruits and veggies that you like blended together (thats how I think of it anyways) You get all the vitamins ans minerals in the produce in a quick snack/meal. I have one every night for dinner, I find them very filling.

#14 Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Beginner

hmm... could you add hemp protein powder?
Then it would really be an amazing smoothie!
#15 Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:

hmm... could you add hemp protein powder?
Then it would really be an amazing smoothie!

You could add anything you want as long as it has fruit and veggies

#16 Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Beginner

do you guys think this would be good
strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed
apple juice or almond milk

does that sound good? Should I add more veggies? What veggies should I add that are good in smoothies?
Thanks
#17 Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:

strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed

does that sound good? Should I add more veggies? What veggies should I add that are good in smoothies?
Thanks

No veggies in that one. Try a leafy green. Cucumbers are a fruit. And I'd ditch the apple juice or almond milk unless they are freshly made by you.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#18 Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:

strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed

Thanks

Lettuce

#19 Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

strawberry
banana
cucumber
hemp protein powder
flax seed

Thanks

That sounds tasty to me, although I might try baby spinach and other greens in there too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#20 Old 01-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Beginner

cucumbers not a vegetable?
yeah, I knew it was lacking greens, that mainly why i asked what other veggies should i add
will lettuce/spinach blend?

thanks
#21 Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:

cucumbers not a vegetable?
yeah, I knew it was lacking greens, that mainly why i asked what other veggies should i add
will lettuce/spinach blend?

thanks

Lettuce and spinach should blend fine

#22 Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Lettuce and spinach will blend just fine. I put in my greens first to blend with water then I add in the fruit.

I drink about 2 liters a day, sometimes more. This morning I had one with 6 cups of kale, 2 bananas, 3 mandarins, 1 mango, and 1tsp raw coconut butter and like 4 or 5 cups of water. I like mine pretty liquidy.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#23 Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Beginner

About 32 oz maybe 4 or 5 times a week.
They're usually green because of romaine or kale in them. Occasionally they're orange if I put carrots in without greens, sometimes they're blue if I put a bunch of grapes or blueberries in with a dozen brazil nuts. Sometimes I use the smoothie to put on granola but it's taste usually doesn't go too well with it but I don't mind.
Today's smoothie had romaine lettuce, two bananas, two small apple, a piece of celery, a dozen macadamia nuts, and some water.

I usually don't use regular lettuce in them. And I don't remember using grapefruit in them but I like eating grapefruit by themselves, their quality varied a lot this past year so I usually only buy two and then if they're good I'll go back and buy more.
#24 Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggilnv View Post

About 32 oz maybe 4 or 5 times a week.
They're usually green because of romaine or kale in them. Occasionally they're orange if I put carrots in without greens, sometimes they're blue if I put a bunch of grapes or blueberries in with a dozen brazil nuts. Sometimes I use the smoothie to put on granola but it's taste usually doesn't go too well with it but I don't mind.
Today's smoothie had romaine lettuce, two bananas, two small apple, a piece of celery, a dozen macadamia nuts, and some water.

I usually don't use regular lettuce in them. And I don't remember using grapefruit in them but I like eating grapefruit by themselves, their quality varied a lot this past year so I usually only buy two and then if they're good I'll go back and buy more.

Mine are normally brown because of the lettuce and carrots, looks like sewage tastes like jamba juice

#25 Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Beginner

i got my first juicer today. yay! i made a carrot, ginger, apple. mmmmm. so, yums. can't wait to try spinach in the juicer and tomorrow i'm making this carrot coconut water juice.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#26 Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Beginner

This morning's fare was:

3 cups of water, 2 extra large collard leaves, 2 bananas, and then frozen fruit blend (peaches, mango, strawberries and pineapple). This makes around 60 oz., of which I drink around 40 oz. for breakfast and then pack the additional 10 oz. for part of my lunch. I usually take the leftovers of my son's smoothie (24 oz.) to have with my other 10 oz. from breakfast for lunch. Then I make another large 50 oz. one to have before dinner. I'm lovin' my green smoothies.

My family and I tend to use the following greens in our smoothies mixed with fruit and water only (no protein powder or anything else needed in my opinion):

collards
spinach
kale (both green and red)
parsley (for me, not the hubby or son -- too bitter for them)
chard

I'm not a big fan of the lettuces....tried romaine (and it tasted like dirt to me). I also tried red leaf lettuce and I didn't like it either.

P.s. All of the above greens are organic.
#27 Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginner

I only do green smoothies about twice a week, because I don't like them much, and I only do it because it helps me get extra nutrition when i work out. I prefer to eat my veggies than drink them.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#28 Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Beginner

I should have noted before that I do not blend any vegetables in my smoothies...only GREENS with fruit. Vegetables are not good in smoothies and should be eaten raw. Check out the books Green for Life (Victoria Boutenko) and Green Smoothie Revolution (also by Boutenko) for information on the scientific research behind the nutritional value in green smoothies.
#29 Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Beginner

50/50, fresh stuff in the fridge/whatever's left in the fridge that I need to use before it goes bad. lol Spring, summer and early fall is great. My friend has an organic produce garden with every seasonal dark green veg (other than the 'standards')and herb you can think of so Im able to use veggies and fruit within it's season and region. Just throw a variety in a bag and go. I travel about 50% of the month, so I take my blender bottle and drink Vitamineral Green and Hemp Pro with juice (or water if I'm desperate). It's not fresh but at least it's a well balanced green drink when fresh and hauling a vitamix isn't possible.
#30 Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Beginner

I made a green smoothie for 4 this morning.

6 cups baby spinach
2 oranges
1.5 cups blueberries
1.5 cups mango
1 cup pineapple
1 cup peach
0.5 cup acerola cherries
1 passionfruit
4 T each ground flax and chia seed
1 cup water
Water from 2 baby coconuts

This was soooooooooooo delicious. We all could have had even more, if there were any left!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page