Stomach Issues with Raw Veggies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Beginner

So.. I have this embarrassing little issue. I LOVE raw produce, and I try to eat as much as I can, and I'd like to try incorporating more into my diet.

However. Whenever I eat most vegetables raw, I have a.. um.. bit of a "digestion" issue. My stomach cramps for a while, I get super gassy (sorry, tmi) and yeah, it usually doesn't end well.

Right now to help with this issue, I usually steam my veggies a little. Also it's less of a problem if I eat them with a bit of dressing, but last night I tried to eat a raw salad and I thought I was going to DIE.

Anyone know why this is? Would it get better if I gradually added more raw veggies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Beginner

Some raw foodies prefer fruit or veggies on an empty tummy because fruit or vegs go thru the system quick (less than hour). For example, if fruit was eaten as a dessert after a big meal, the fruit wouldn't be able to go thru quickly, it would be blocked or held up by the big meal and then the fruit would start fermenting or doing it's thing before reaching it's preferred location to do it's thing.

Maybe a few probiotics would help.

Just some ideas, best regards, Gil.
#3 Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Hmm...do your salads have quite a few ingredients? It could be a food combining issue then. Like veggilnv said, different foods digest at different rates and that could be causing quite a bit of discomfort. Try searching for food combining charts/guides if you think that's the problem. Also, I'd imagine if you weren't used to eating much fiber at all in your diet before jumping into a higher raw percentage diet, that change in fiber content may have something to do with the tummy-area issues...I'm not 100% certain on that but I'd imagine it would have some sort of impact.

Good luck!
#4 Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Beginner

Maybe your body's not used to eating a large amount of raw veggies at a time. When I eat raw veggies i have the same issue..I have to lightly steam them to help with digestion..my advice would be just to do it gradually and see how that goes.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~
#5 Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Your little issue is really quite common. Veggil, Janie, and Sassy have good suggestions - which definitely make a difference.
Also - consider: sneak some of your veggies in smoothies - especially green smoothies - the blender creates a "pre-digested" quality that truly assists the stomach's digestion. The salad dressing is helping you because it contains elements that also aid in digestion - like vinegar. Adding a bit of pickled veggies might help (saurkraut, kimchi). And exercise, exercise, exercise! Yep - active lifestyle creates faster metabolism rate and our bodies process our fuels more efficiently. Hang in there. Raw veggies Rule!
#6 Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Phew, I thought I was the only one who had this problem! "Uh oh, salad and loads of fruit and raw veg....gotta run to the loo within an hour and a half." But it's just the veg doin' it's thang haha
#7 Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Beginner

A bit off topic, but I've found that plums, especially in bigger quantities, are really hard on digestion for me. Anyone else?
#8 Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Beginner

i haven't been able to find good ripe plums around these parts. they're always sour! ick.
#9 Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungbean View Post

Phew, I thought I was the only one who had this problem! "Uh oh, salad and loads of fruit and raw veg....gotta run to the loo within an hour and a half." But it's just the veg doin' it's thang haha

You're definitely not alone, I have the same issue...always have.
#10 Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Beginner

maybe it has to do with how quickly you consume the food.
i heard a guy who is an athlete and raw vegan say that a lot of times ppl drink their smoothies quickly skipping the first important step of properly digesting (allowing it to start digesting in the mouth with saliva) and it can cause gas and other problems for people. i think he's right...
im not entirely raw but when i drink my smoothies now i make sure i take my time. and i think it's a bit better....
#11 Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Beginner

^^ I have to agree. I hadn't thought about it before but it makes sense. I've always been THE slowest eater with any comapny. That's because I chew my food a LOT. Dunno why, just have always been like that. Even when I (used to) drank a milksake/smoothie with yoghurt, and now, fruit smoothies, I've always chewed my smoothies. Or applesauce, yes, I chew applesauce. Now that I think of it, even before swallowing juice, I kind of swill it around my mouth a little before. It's just what comes naturally. And you know what? I've been hearing from a lot of people that eating a lot of freash fruits/veggies causes this problem for them, while I've never had that problem, not even now that I'm transitionning into raw foodism. So maybe there's truth to this saliva/chewing theory!
#12 Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Beginner

I've been eating 100% raw for over a week now and I'm having the same problem. I have no problem with smoothies but with solid foods. Any other suggestions? I will continue for the month of March and then I'll start re-introducing cooked/steamed foods as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page