Too much of a certain raw food, possible? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

So i've tried my best to go eat as much raw as possible, and I'm sitting at about +85% raw at the moment.

The question I have is, is it possible to eat too much of a certain raw food?

I was eating my kale/collards salad at school today and someone asked me, "why do you eat that everyday, that can't be good for you".

So I got concerned and read up that vitamin K can be toxic if you ingest too much of it and store it. So is my 2 cups of kale, romaine, spinach, or collards each day too much?

I also eat a bunch of fruits and other veg each day, but Kale and collard have vitamin K in the 100s of %, and I also take a multivitamin.

Just making sure it's not an absurd idea to eat full raw and that it's safe. I thought going vegan would get bad press, trying to be raw vegan seems to be getting even more people confused. ><

thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Beginner

As far as fruits and vegetables, not likely. You think 2 cups is a lot of kale? Let me introduce you to my 25-cup kale lunch.

Seaweeds, nuts, oils, salts, sweeteners, spices? Yes, try not to get too many calories from those.
#3 Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Beginner

The only thing I've heard is that it's important to rotate your greens, but I don't know much about it. I just do it 'cause it seems like a good idea - variety and all.
#4 Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Beginner

It is possible to get too much of something but the numbers are extremely high I'm sure no person could really do it unless they ate kale all the time every day like took a green powder pill with kale, made kale smoothies for breakfast, had big kale salads for lunch and dinner.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#5 Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Beginner

It's definately possible to "overdue it" on anything. Lots of people overeat on sweet fruits (I'm talking when people like can't stop eating fruit and eat way more than their bodies want/needed, to the point of bloating/gas), nuts/seeds, and fatty fruits like avocado. Not a good thing to do, be mindful about how much you're having. I'm not saying these foods are at all bad for you, just that overeating on anything is not a good thing. One thing that I would suggest is just try to rotate your greens as much as you can. Some day do collards/kale, then chard/romaine, anything that works. The reason I say that is to avoid developing an allergy to something. Personally, I can kind of get stuck in a rut just because of what is available around here. I have to shop out of town, and if they don't get much in that week, I just have to take what I can. I would not worry the slightest bit about any dangers from eating greens though. If vitamin K was poison, I'd be long gone.

Don't let anyone make you feel self conscious about your lunches. Just do what you know is right, and let them eat their meats and cookies. :P
#6 Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginner

You can die from drinking too much water. So I'm pretty sure you can achieve toxic results if you ingest massive quantities of just about anything.

But I think a couple cups of kale a day isn't anywhere NEAR a massive amount!
#7 Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Let me introduce you to my 25-cup kale lunch.

How long does it take you to finish that lunch? :O
#8 Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Beginner

I don't remember. I made about four bowls separately. So I made one by rinsing & breaking up the kale, ate it; and then maybe 20 min. after finishign started the next one. About 2 hours? Not eating & preparing the whole time, of course.
#9 Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

So i've tried my best to go eat as much raw as possible, and I'm sitting at about +85% raw at the moment.

The question I have is, is it possible to eat too much of a certain raw food?

I was eating my kale/collards salad at school today and someone asked me, "why do you eat that everyday, that can't be good for you".

So I got concerned and read up that vitamin K can be toxic if you ingest too much of it and store it. So is my 2 cups of kale, romaine, spinach, or collards each day too much?

I also eat a bunch of fruits and other veg each day, but Kale and collard have vitamin K in the 100s of %, and I also take a multivitamin.

Just making sure it's not an absurd idea to eat full raw and that it's safe. I thought going vegan would get bad press, trying to be raw vegan seems to be getting even more people confused. ><

thanks for any replies.

You eat a big salad for lunch every day and someone comes up to you and says that can't be good for you?

I would love to see what that person eats every day, we live in a really bizarre world...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

You eat a big salad for lunch every day and someone comes up to you and says that can't be good for you?

I would love to see what that person eats every day, we live in a really bizarre world...

Lmao you beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

People are so confused as to what they should be eating, its crazy!

You should be fine on the kale. It would be best to mix it up every here and there to get some other nutrients in but if your body feels good then don't worry about it.

Become Health Conscious! - http://givinghealth.blogspot.com/
#11 Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Beginner

@ Werewolf.
#12 Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Beginner

Off topic...Penny what do you add to your Kale salad? Im just curious because the only way I can eat raw Kale is blended in my Vitamix. I add about 2 cups and mix it with a bunch of other fruits and veggies.

They are here with us...Not for us!
#13 Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Windy View Post

Off topic...Penny what do you add to your Kale salad? Im just curious because the only way I can eat raw Kale is blended in my Vitamix. I add about 2 cups and mix it with a bunch of other fruits and veggies.

Usually on days I have kale, I'll also have a ripe avocado around, so I'll have an avocado with grapefruit and kale; or an avocado and tomatoes; or maybe even blend the avocado with other nonsweet fruits and spinach. (oooohhh, gettin crazy mixin' greens)

Or I will add something sweet, like kale and mango and mint or something.

I usually get the dino kale that is a little bit softer than the curly, but I like all types.

you can also massage it with lemon juice and a little bit of olive oil (you can rinse it off after that; of course some will remain).
#14 Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Beginner

Hmmm...this is a little off topic...but what would happen if you omitted the spinach, Penny, and blended avocado with sweet fruits? Extra creaminess? Or would some unprecedentedly repulsive concoction result? Purely idle curiousity partly due to my newly found enjoyment of avocados.
#15 Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiejones View Post

Hmmm...this is a little off topic...but what would happen if you omitted the spinach, Penny, and blended avocado with sweet fruits? Extra creaminess? Or would some unprecedentedly repulsive concoction result? Purely idle curiousity partly due to my newly found enjoyment of avocados.

awesome idea....i heart avacados

peace
#16 Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Beginner

i don't understand the question. you're just planning to eat avocado blended with sweet fruits and no spinach?
#17 Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Haha. Very true!
#18 Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Should there be a limit on how much fruit I can eat in a day? I've been googling some menu plans and they seem to be really fruit filled, just wondering how much is too much?

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#19 Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Can you overdo a raw food? YES! Here's a news story about a woman who ate too much raw bok choy and made herself sick:
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-bok-choy-maam

Any diet has potential risks and benefits. A good rule of thumb for any diet is to eat a variety and don't over-do it on any one food item.
#20 Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Should there be a limit on how much fruit I can eat in a day? I've been googling some menu plans and they seem to be really fruit filled, just wondering how much is too much?

No, you're fine eating fruit. Eat plenty of leafy greens as well, good source of minerals.
#21 Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Where's my camera?

If you are concerned about getting too much or not enough of vitamins you can track your diet using websites such as Sparkpeople. You enter in the foods you eat and the quantities, and it will calculate the amount of nutrients and vitamins you are consuming. It can also generate daily reports which will tell you the consequences of your nutritional choices.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page