Raw Fruitarian Recipes? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Beginner

I just became a raw fruitarian about 2 wks ago, and I am having a really hard time finding recipes! I have been eating mostly plain raw nuts and fruits and grazing on them throughout the day. I would really like to find some "gourment" raw fruit recipes because I love to prepare food! When I was just a vegan I would spend hours in the kitchen a day making meals. Now that I am a raw fruitarian, I miss preparing meals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Beginner

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/index.html

Try this message board. Many people on this site eat a raw diet of mostly fruit.

Some suggestions for you. Try eating larger fruit meals when hungry instead of grazing, lay off the nuts, and eat your fruit as is for a while. If you are a fruitarian, you should be getting most of your calories from fruit, which is good for you, but the nuts you are eating are probably more fillers and most of them aren't truly fresh - at least the 'raw' ones purchased in stores, which have been processed and stored for longer periods of time.
#3 Old 01-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitarian_Girl View Post

When I was just a vegan I would spend hours in the kitchen a day making meals.

"just a vegan"? What?
#4 Old 01-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Beginner

I of course respect the fruitarian way, but to word it as "just a vegan" makes it sound like you think veganism is inferior.
#5 Old 01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Haha! Let's not get into this here please. I'm sure FG didn't mean any disrespect, only that the fruitarian diet is more restrictive than the vegan diet.
#6 Old 01-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Beginner

I didn't mean any offense by it lol. I just mean that when I was a vegan I had a lot more options. Being a vegan is great and I'm sorry if I offended everyone.
#7 Old 01-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Banned

Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate your saying that you loved to be a vegan and we have many options. We vegans don't like to be insulted.
#8 Old 01-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Beginner

I'm truly ignorant when it comes to raw foodism, especially fruitarianism. This will sound like a dumb question but I'm honestly curious. Do you get all of the vitamins and minerals solely on fruit? Or do you do a vitamin suppliment? Do you add soy in somehow to cover the protein end? Thanks!
#9 Old 01-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

"just a vegan"? What?

I'm sorry if this response seemed rude. It was half-joking/teasing you, and half a little hurt that maybe you thought a vegan was "just" something or other. So I apologize. I didn't mean to make anyone feel unwelcome. I am glad you are here, FruitGirl!
#10 Old 01-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Beginner

Don't worry about it! On the other boards I post on, people act like if you aren't a vegan you should leave. I watch them bash vegetarians who are trying to become vegan, and I have been bashed several times also! I do my part to help the animals and the plants hehe. They act like if you are a vegetarian you are hurting more animals than helping. BUT ANYWAYS!

About the vitamin thing, I am not sure really if I CAN get all my vitamins from just fruit. That is what I am trying to find out. Someone said you can get b12 from seaweed, but it is harder to absorb.I know I can get all of my protiens from things like avocadoes and dates. I am probably getting more than my share of vitamin C lol!
#11 Old 01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Around here we only bash American Idol fans.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#12 Old 01-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

lol Nice
#13 Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Someone said you can get b12 from seaweed, but it is harder to absorb.

The B12 in seaweed is typically inactive. Not only does it not help your B12 stores, it can interfer with absorbing the active B12 (the kind found in meat, dairy, eggs, vitamins, nutritional yeast, some dirts).

Also, you need to be careful with Vit D if you live in a cloudy climate.

With regards to calcium, iron and zinc, you'll need to eat dried fruits and nuts - almonds, cashews, figs, etc.

edit: looks like your 16-17. You need more calcium then an adult, due to the fact that your bones are still forming.
#14 Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Beginner

That shouldn't be a problem, I LOVE figs! I didn't know nutritional yeast had B-12. Is it considered fruitarian?
#15 Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Beats me.

You need around 1200mg of calcium daily, btw. 1 dried fig contains ~30mg.
#16 Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I better start eating those figs! LOL
#17 Old 01-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Beginner

hehe

Do you eat sprouted beans? If so, make some homemade ones; those are very good in zinc, which is often hard to get on a vegan diet (and moreso on a mostly fruit diet!).

Also, be careful that you don't eat too much vitamin C. You can go over the 100% RDA, but I think after 500% or so gives the runs And that is never a pleasant feeling

I would still recommend you take a multi-supplement and a calcium supplement (up to 500mg size), however. It will help fill in any gaps in your diet, allow you to continue your diet, and take away the stress of trying to fill in all the nutritents.
#18 Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Hey. I enjoy it and I'm not even American.
#19 Old 02-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

I'm truly ignorant when it comes to raw foodism, especially fruitarianism. This will sound like a dumb question but I'm honestly curious. Do you get all of the vitamins and minerals solely on fruit? Or do you do a vitamin suppliment? Do you add soy in somehow to cover the protein end? Thanks!

Some fruitarians exist solely on fruit without a supplement. But raw foodists also include raw vegetables and dehydrated fruits, vegetables and sprouts in their diets. (There is a difference) Fruitarians exist solely on fruit.
#20 Old 05-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I just became a raw fruitarian about 2 wks ago, and I am having a really hard time finding recipes!

First of all, you DON'T want to be eating a lot of nuts! They are so addictive, and trust me...very hard to get away from! Anyway, it's great that you're raw! Way to go!!!!! As for recipes.....you can find this book, "The Raw Gourmet" by Nomi Shannon in a lot of bookstores. Also "RAW" by Roxanne Klein and Charlie Trotter is a raw gourmet uncookbook. take a look! I know about a TON of other books too, so if you want to know of more...you know who to ask! ttyl
#21 Old 05-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Excepting B12 and D, a fruitarian can approach the ballpark for DRIs on 1600 kcal/day, if he or she chooses the right fruits, nuts, and seeds, but it isn't likely.

It's also much more difficult without incorporating some leaves in the diet, because leaves tend to be loaded with vitamins and minerals and are higher in protein than typical fruits. Also, legumes provide a concentrated source of protein, probably a benefit for most ve*ns, and they should almost always be cooked to zap the antinutrients that are present when they are raw sprouts.

I cook my sprouted legumes at least 5 minutes. I also eat lots of leaves, and even some cooked roots/tubers such as sweet potato, beet, carrot, etc.

Having said all that, here is a good sample fruitarian day:

1 apple

1 banana

1 cups berries

1/2 cup raw yellow corn

6 medium cucumbers

1 mango

1 canteloupe

1 brazil nut

4 walnuts

2 cups okra

1 large papaya

1 green bell pepper

2 red bell peppers

2 T flax seeds

2 T sesame seeds

1 T sunflower seeds

1 1/4 lbs zucchini

1 tomato

calories: 1619

carbohydrate: 66% (including 74 g fiber)

fat: 23% (44 g)

protein: 11% (56 g)

vitamin A: 34930 IU

vitamin C: 1412 mg

vitamin E: 13.2 mg

thiamin: 2.3 mg

riboflavin: 1.6 mg

niacin: 22.3 mg

b6: 4.8 mg

folate: 1068 mcg

pantothenic acid: 10.9 mg

vitamin K; 273mcg

calcium: 950 mg

iron: 19.5 mg

magnesium: 916 mg

phosphorus: 1683 mg

potassium: 10040 mg

zinc: 14.2 mg

copper: 4.1 mg

manganese: 8.8 mg

selenium: 86.5 mcg

omega-6 fats: 16 g

omega-3 fats: 7 g

(this ratio should be 4:1 or lower, here it is less than 3:1)

Note. Fiber content is really high. This means reduced utilization, by about 10%, for protein, carbohydrate, fat, calories, and some vitamins and minerals.

For the specific case of protein, instead of 56 g, the body can use only approximately 90% of that, or about 50 g because of the very high fiber content of the diet.

Also the, limiting amino acid score for this day of food is Lysine, at only 60%, of ideal, which means that usable protein is only 60% of that 50 g, or 30 g. This is on the low side. More protein could be obtained by increasing okra, zucchini, nuts, and seeds and decreasing sweet fruits.

The day total, about 4.2 kg of food (9.2 lbs) provides well over 100% of the DRI/RDA for almost everything but B12 and D but is just a hair short on Calcium and pretty short on protein.

B12 and D should be supplemented.

The diet is exceedingly rich in vitamins, minerals, and protective phytochemicals, however. And also would be very expensive to put into practice.

One way to get near 1 g of calcium a day on a fruitarian diet is to make heavy use of okra and sesame seeds.
#22 Old 05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Beginner

Isn't a zucchini a vegetable? Does it come down to what a fruit technically is when you're a fruititarian? Like, I know an avacado is a fruit, but it's sort of in the salty/veggie category...so is a zucchini *technically* a fruit?? (confusion surfaces to my frontal lobe) What about okra? I know that tomatoes are fruits...

I have a good salad recipe that I've tried to post on VegWeb but to no avail (got it off www.gumbopages.com).

---------------

*4 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes (yams)

*\t2 tart green apples (Granny Smith or Pippin), peeled, cored and chopped

*\t1/2 cup dried red currants

*\t1/2 cup pecans

*\tJuice of 1 orange

*\tJuice of 1 lime

*\t2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

*\t1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

*\t2 cloves garlic, finely minced

*\tSalt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

*\t1/3 cup olive oil

Mix the sweet potatoes, apples, currants and pecans in a large bowl. Combine the juices, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk together, then add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Pour over the salad, toss well to combine well, then refrigerate overnight before serving.

------------------

It's really good on a hot day in the summer. I suppose you can substitute something else for the mustard and vinegar, but this really is a good combination of flavors. I can eat a giant bowl of it in one sitting.
#23 Old 05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:

LOL !!!

............ wait a minuet im american idol fan!
#24 Old 05-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Beginner

giselle - one thing, with a diet that high in fibre, one has to be careful that iron and calcium are not leached, which is common after 50g of fibre.
#25 Old 05-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Beginner

I posted a recipe in the recipes section for a frozen strawberry limenade that just happens to be both raw and fruitarian. Not very exciting but it's good!
#26 Old 05-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Beginner

I'm fruitarian, too

I LOVE my juice extractor... if you don't have one, look into purchasing one. You can make all types of tasty concoctions

~Annie
#27 Old 05-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Beginner

What can a fruitarian eat? Can they not eat any vegetables? I think that this a made up diet because I think that foods grown in nature are intended for us to eat for vital nutrients and to eat only fruits and seeds wouldn't be supplying us with other nutrients that can be obtained from vegetables.
#28 Old 05-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Beginner

I'm just a lowly vegetarian, so I suppose I have no place in here...
#29 Old 05-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Beginner

I don't think it means fruit in the way we think of fruits. I think it means the "fruits" of the plants, without eating the actual plant. Just the goodies that they produce!
#30 Old 05-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass View Post

I'm just a lowly vegetarian, so I suppose I have no place in here...

If you are interested in learning about a raw food diet and/or incorporating more raw foods into your current diet (whether to ultimately have a high raw diet or not) this is a good place to get inspired.

anyway, theyre the reasons this here lowly veganshmegan visits this forum...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page