Cup size - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By BlackBoxed

#1 Old 03-19-2016, 06:10 AM

Cup size

Hi all, I am new to smoothies and would like to ask a question. When a recipe refers to a cup, fo measuring your greens and fruit etc., what sort of cup do they mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi there, it's a US measuring system, where everything is measured by volume.
You can get US measuring cups in the UK in many bigger shops. I think I got mine from a supermarket.
I find them useful for free flowing dry goods, like flour beans, lentils, rice as well of course as liquids. I don't find them at all useful for measuring vegetables though and usually prefer to gauge by eye the volume needed.
#3 Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Bean Queen

For me it's however much I can fit in my blender before I need more liquid to thin it out.

but off the top of my head it's roughly 240ml, 8oz, or 16tbs. If that helps put it in prospective?
LedBoots and David3 like this.

#4 Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

With things like smoothies a big handful of greens is about a cup

I just guesstimate things like that
#5 Old 03-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The easy answer: assuming the recipe was written for a contemporary US audience (and most are), a cup of a non-fluid ingredient means a measuring cup like you'd find in many every day stores, often in sets like this:

Name:  measuringset.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  7.8 KB

For liquids you'll want this:

Name:  oxocup.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.8 KB

By 'want this' I mean you'll want that specific design, either OXO Good Grips or a knock off brand. Sure, a different design will work, like the common pyrex measuring cups without the internal markings, but the OXO design is just so much easier to work with ...

So you have two kinds of cups that are kind of basic to cooking. In a pinch they're interchangeable, but in practice it is next to impossible to get a decent measure of a liquid in a cup designed for dry ingredients and vice versa.

If you're baking it gets a little more complicated - measuring technique matters - but these two measuring cups are the basic equipment you'll want to have on hand.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM

A set of measuring cups can be bought for 1 pound in some shops.
#7 Old 01-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I have found that volume units, such as cup, are fine for measuring liquid ingredients, but generally not a good way to measure certain dry ingredients, because of the differences in how they can be packed. For example, one cup of flour or sugar can vary significantly depending on how tightly it's packed in. Beans don't have the packing issue, but it's hard to get them level. So again, volume isn't ideal. That's why I prefer to use mass. I have a food scale, and if a recipe calls for, e.g., a certain number of cups of flour, I use the volume-to-mass conversion factor on the side of the flour package to measure it out in grams, which is a mass unit. That avoids the issue of packing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page