Southern/"Carolina style" Vegan Pulled Un-pork Sandwich - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thalassa

#1 Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Canny Lass-a

Southern/"Carolina style" Vegan Pulled Un-pork Sandwich

Southern people take BBQ very seriously, and I personally was extremely disappointed in a jackfruit "pulled pork" I tried a month or two ago. I also don't find the "ribs" offered by Gardein adequate to fulfill the specific cultural replica of the Carolina style sandwich.

So...I started with heating up Westsoy's Pulled BBQ Seitan.

I added a generous amount of Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce, but you could add a more organic or homemade sauce. Either way, definitely add extra barbecue sauce.

Then I whipped up this homemade slaw:

Small head cabbage, shredded

Grated carrots (about 2-3 Tbsp)

1/4 of a large onion (or 1/3 medium), also grated

1-2 tsp dry mustard

Splash of white vinegar (can use ACV)

1/3 cup Just Mayo (or Vegenaise)

2 Tbsp raw sugar

1 Tbsp maple syrup

Mix all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ideally, you would steam buns and butter with Earth Balance or other vegan margarine, but hot buttered toast or pan toasting your favorite bread with oil also works.

Layer prepared barbecue mixture with a generous topping of slaw on bun or toast.

SO GOOD!

If anyone has experience with making seitan into pulled BBQ completely from scratch, please share! I think seitan has a great texture and there certainly could be a better alternative to Westsoy I don't know about.
David3 likes this.

Thalassa4, Re-registered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page