Your Favourite Jewish Veg Recipes! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 AM

Red face Your Favourite Jewish Veg Recipes!

Anyone have any Jewish recipes to share? From Kugel to Matzo ball soup to Rugelach -- what's your favourite vegetarian/vegan or made-to-be-veg dish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I made noodle kugel years ago! I used broken lasagna noodles, boiled, with silken tofu blended with some non dairy milk--coconut would be awesome!, and raisens. Put together in a greased casserole and bake till set

Isa Moscowitz has great Jewish recipes. I know there's one in Veganomicon that takes matzo I've wanted to try.
#3 Old 07-05-2016, 03:11 AM

Talking TastyandHealthy

Lentil soup can be made vegan. Add finely chopped potatoes, carrots, a piece of turnip or rutabaga that's been very finely minced which really adds to the flavor of all soups and stews, chopped garlic, onions, a dash of curry, pepper, and other spices. Will take time to cook in the crockpot.

#4 Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 AM

Tzimmes is a very traditional Jewish dish. There are many variations. Even if you are a meat eater I don't recommend adding it. I also scoff at modern versions that require butter. It's not needed. Think of the following recipe as a healthier version of sweet potato casserole served at Thanksgiving.

Combine peeled chunks of sweet potatoes and carrots with dried fruit, orange and lemon juice, and sweetener. You might want to consider parboiling the carrots.
This is not dessert so you don't need very much honey. Date sugar will work as well. Then you must add dried fruit. If you cut it up in fine pieces and mix it throughout your casserole you won't need very much brown sugar or honey. It's common to use dried apricots and prunes. Others use dried apples and prunes. While it's not traditional as many spices weren't available way back when, I add cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of vanilla. I also break tradition and add a dab of curry powder. You don't need to add any fat.

Bake in the oven until very well done. Some prefer the dish to appear overcooked with the contents mushed together. Others use a crockpot which IMHO does not have anywhere as good a flavor. I prefer a large glass pan where you can spread out the ingredients.

Tags
jewish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page