Vegan Chow Mein Noodles - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Vegan Chow Mein Noodles

I've been working on a vegan chow mein dish for a little while now. Recently had a breakthrough with the sauce, involving a dark soy sauce (that I didn't know existed), vegetarian oyster sauce and sriracha (which seems to go on/in everything I make now). Here it is:

http://www.saturdaycooking.com/chowmein/

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or other ingredients that you like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Wow it looks great , just like the real McCoy! Chinese used to be my fave type of takeaway, but I had to stop when turned vegan as I don't trust how they name even the supposedly vegan dishes...and whenever I try to make stir fries at home they never come out as good as the real thing even with ginger and chestnuts and the Chinese 5 spice...so this is defo worth a try, although I'm not sure I've ever seen vegetarian oyster sauce...I'll look out for it. It's even the right colour in the picture...mine never is.

Thanks for sharing

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#3 Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Ah forgot to say one thing I'd maybe add to jazz it up is some mushrooms...

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

#4 Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

That's a dish I often make. I've found the noodles in the Asian grocery called baked ramen-look just like the ones you've pictured. As a side note, the ramen noodles in the instant packs (which I've loved!) are fried and full of really yuck stuff! These baked ones are just wheat and water- worth looking for. Still cheap and convienent, with a "healthier" taste.

So many variations. I like to thin peanut butter with water and sriracha ( Huy Fong that is). Hot chili oil. Hoisin sauce. Braggs aminos (prefer over soy sauce) Garlic and olive oil. Peanuts. Subbing rice noodles, or buckwheat. Tofu stirred in. Tempeh. Peas. Water chestnuts. Bamboo shoots.
Pretty much a whatever bowl! I love using a mandoline for quick cooking veggies. I'll often take out frozen broccoli and slice thin adding to the other veggies. The water helps steam and uses only a little oil.
#5 Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Vegan as f**k

That's great thanks for posting ...Will have to try it
#6 Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 AM

Thanks guys -- I'm going to keep experimenting too. Never thought of peanut butter with sriracha -- I'm going to have to try that. Moz, the vegetarian oyster sauce is from Tai Hua. The only questionable thing I see in the ingredients list is xanthan gum, but there's no indication on the bottle that it came from whey, which I'd think they would need to do for allergies.
#7 Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 AM
Beginner

I just have to say that I love Chow Mein. I'm Caribbean and it's a national dish from the Chinese immigrants to the West Indies. I would say jazz it up the vegetables. I love Chow Mein with bora beans.

Last edited by ReturnOfSaturn; 02-16-2015 at 01:25 PM.
#8 Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I am sure I've seen (in the UK - possibly in the asian supermarket) an alternative to oyster sauce made from mushrooms (possibly ****ake).

Tags
chinese , noodles , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page