Vegan Gyros!!! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Part-Time Russian

Wink Vegan Gyros!!!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY EVERYBODY!!! VeggieCat here and boy do I have ANOTHER recipe for you! And it's oh SO easy! Got eggplant? Because we're going to recreate one of my old time favorites before going Vegan, the all mighty Greek Gyro!

Ok, here's the list of things you'll need.

1-2 slices of eggplant!
1 pita bread
Veganaise
Dill-weed
1 Radish
A few slices of cucumber (optional)
Kale/Lettuce/Spinach
Garlic salt
Salt
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning!!

Take eggplant and coat both sides in salt. Put on napkin and cover with another napkin. Place a frying pan on top and let sit for 10 mins!

Rub eggplant in Tony Chachere's and garlic salt on both sides. Pan sear on medium (NO OIL) until both sides are nicely colored and the eggplant is done most of the way through.

Warm pita bread. Spread veganaise on bread, sprinkle with dill weed to taste. Put the kale/lettuce/spinach on the pita! Slice up the radish and place that on the bread. Slice the eggplant and add that too. Add optional cucumber. Fold gyro style and enjoy! Serve with chips and hummus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds very good, but nothing in it says "gyro"!
#3 Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Part-Time Russian

it tasted like a gyro~ :/ Maybe I got too excited <.-.> *self esteem - 500* Maybe I should have called it veggie sandwich or eggplant sandwich or something. ^-^ Ah well, yknow what? You live-you learn-you cook more eggplant. XD

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español

#4 Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Sounds great...I love eggplant so I'm definitely going to try this! Thank you

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.” - Thomas Edison

Simply see that you are at the center of the universe, and accept all things and beings as part of your infinite body. When you perceive that an act done to another is done to yourself, you have understood the great truth. - Lao Tzu
#5 Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Beginner

1) That sounds pretty damn good.

2) Having just lived for years in the south, I love me some cajun seasoning but I've got to say that sounds more like a substitute for andouille than a gyro.

To up the greek flavors a bit more maybe try-
Grate or thinly slice cucumber, then mix into the veganaise. Add cracked black pepper and/or dill and/or mint to taste. Let sit overnight. Gets you closer to tzatziki.
For eggplant, nix the cajun seasoning and sub a mix of greek spices. Your traditional mix will be lots of salt, some sweet and some hot paprika, pepper, parsley, garlic, and oregano. If you have any onhand you can also throw in to taste- marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and/or cumin. Sumac is also freaking amazingly tasty, if you've never had it (DISCLAIMER: the purple spice, not the poisonous plant, they're different things... and skip cumin if you're adding sumac).

I've always had gyros on pita with tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, raw sliced onions, and the gyro meat so I'd probably go for that combo if I was trying to replicate the flavor.
#6 Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ah yeah! Anole got the seasonings right, but tzatziki should with soy yogurt. I've drained it in a colander lined with a paper towel to get most of the liquid out.

I haven't had eggplant in so long! Really have to buy some
#7 Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Zelda Freak

Not an eggplant fan, but your enthusiasm makes me want to be!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM

Whatever you call it, it sounds tasty. Since canucks don't have Tony Chachere's, I'm wondering if this recipe gets us in the right ballpark:

http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-chac...copycat-500434
#9 Old 02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Total Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jacques Lamure
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
That sounds very good, but nothing in it says "gyro"!
I don't think lambs are able to say "gyro!" either though..

Tags
easy , gyro , recipe , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page