So what books have we been reading lately? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 03-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Apart from the various crapulent pieces of crap that I've got to read for my Sociology degree (e.g. The Idea of Social Science, Social Science in Question, Sociological Theory, The Sociological Theory of Social Science) I've been reading:

J G Ballard - The Drought

Ian McEwan - The Cement Garden

John Wilson - The Disappearance of Lyndsey Barrett

and I re-read The Plague by Albert Camus.

Over to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Banned

ah reading for fun... I remember it fondly. I'm a philosophy / religion major so my reading list is chock full of academic readings, which is okay because I enjoy much of it. Current selections include:

"Naming and Neccessity" -- Saul Kripke.

"Totem and Taboo" -- Freud.

"Select Readings" of St. Thomas Aquinas.

"The Descartes Reader"

Not much time for fun-reading, but I'm getting into the quarterly journals at the library. Especially "American Philosophical Quarterly" and "Philosophy and Phenomenological Research". Also, and interesting article in this month's "Alternatives: Global, Local, Political" called "Explaining War & Peace: Kant & Liberal IR Theory."

And I've been reading a lot from the manual on how to use my new synth/drum machine
#3 Old 03-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Beginner

how i wish i had more time to read!

i finished "shop girl" by steve martin a few days ago. it's a novella, it only took me a few hours to get through. i really enjoyed it!

right now i'm working on some stephen king/peter straub horror crap..."black house". it's a sequel to "the talisman". it's alright. very light. i loved stephen king when i was 12. now...not so much.
#4 Old 03-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Beginner

My academic readings have been on organ transplantation.

But for fun I just finished a book of short stories by Mark Twain, and I am starting "Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy".
#5 Old 03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Beginner

The most recent books that I've been reading are 'Eye of the World' by Jordan and 'The Valdemar Companion' - basically a book for fans of Lackey's Valdemar series.

I've gotten about half way through 'Eye of the World' but haven't read much more of it recently.
#6 Old 03-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Banned

What's that stuff about, OZ?
#7 Old 03-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Banned

I just finished rereading "A Dark Horn Blowing" by Dahlov Ipcar (I stole this from the library when I was a teenager because I loved it... then let someone borrow it from me and they moved overseas; I finally bought my own copy).

Then there's my "reading shelf" with what I am reading now, including Tolkien, sci-fi, and some books on Biblical archaeology.... a total of 25 books (too much at once?).
#8 Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Beginner

It's fantasy stuff. Just about all the fiction I read is fantasy.

I read non fiction from time to time too, lately it's been about pc building & hardware. I have a ton of AR-related books around that I have yet to read..
#9 Old 03-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Banned

Hrmm... I'm not sure I could tell you the last fiction I read. The literature I read is almost all 20th-century real-fiction stuff like Beat lit and Dorothy Parker and so on. Probably I've read some Burroughs shorts lately and some Hemmingway...
#10 Old 03-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Beginner

Right now I'm reading "A Multitude of Sins" by Richard Ford and "Tales of the Lovecraft Mythos".

I just finished reading "Testimony of an Irish Slave Girl" by Kate McCaffery - very good book.
#11 Old 03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Joe
Beginner

"The Skeptic: A Life of H.L. Mencken" by Terry Teachout.

(This has nothing to do with vegetarianism.)
#12 Old 03-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Joe
Beginner

By the way, speaking of books, the Houston Chronicle has a webpage that features reprints of the first chapters of current books, including Teachout's bio of Mencken, but also many others.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronic...one/index.html
#13 Old 03-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
right now i'm working on some stephen king/peter straub horror crap..."black house". it's a sequel to "the talisman". it's alright. very light. i loved stephen king when i was 12. now...not so much.

I just started that one last week. I like to have some mind candy while I'm hanging out at the beach... I thoroughly enjoyed "the Talisman" and I'm interested to see how they bring it together. I've always been a fan of King's work, and it's interesting to see how his writing style has developed over the years, and how for the last several years he's been developing a major story line thru all of his novels, a grand connection to the Dark Tower. I can't wait to see how it comes out!

I had to take a break from the Wheel of Time series... I'll get back to it soon.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#14 Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Beginner

I'm starting to wonder just how many of us here have read (at least a part of) the Wheel of Time series..
#15 Old 03-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Beginner

I've been intending to read it, but I haven't yet.

Within the last week, I've...

Read "The Gates of Sleep" by Mercedes Lackey

Read "Acorna's Search" by Anne McCaffrey

Read a couple of smutty romance novels...

Read "Freedom's Ransom" by Anne McCaffrey

Started "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx

Re-read "Freedom's Challenge" by Anne McCaffrey

And I've spent the past couple of days glued to an online fanfiction collective sifting through the dross...and finding a few gems! XD

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#16 Old 03-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Beginner

Right now I'm reading The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales, by Bruno Bettelheim. Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Carl Jung's autobiography) is next on my list.

Smut is always good, too. (Hey, I'm single, what do you expect?)
#17 Old 03-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Beginner

Ceryna: Yay! another Anne McCaffrey fan!! I've read the Pern series about a million times now. I absolutely love it! Her other books are good, but not nearly so good as the Dragonriders of Pern...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 03-14-2003, 01:13 PM
Beginner

You have yet another Pern/McCaffrey fan here too

I've been wanting to read her Acrona series for a while now as well ... It's on my "future reading" list. Which is growing faster than I can read these books!
#19 Old 03-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Beginner

Anne McCaffrey is absolutely one of my most favorite authors EVER. I worship her. (Not literally, but you know what I mean. ^^;; )

I have read every single book she's ever written, so far. Out of everything she's written, my top three favorites are:

The Dragonriders of Pern series

The Crystal Singer series

The Talent series

^_________^

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#20 Old 03-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Beginner

I am reading a ton of school related books. (arrgghh!!) But I just started to read a book called "We're all Doing Time" by Bo Lozoff. It is a book about prison ashram's. I have someone who is very close to me in prison right now (for growing marijuana) and he mentioned the book. The writer is an advocate for prison reform, and finding the good in people.

I didn't write this to start a debate on prison reform or such. With that said I will not respond to any comments on it.
#21 Old 03-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Beginner

how are you enjoying Eye of the World OZ? i'm on book 2 right now, the Great Hunt. i've read the whole series up to 10 already and am going back through them while waiting for 10 to come out on paperback. i really loved the series the first time and am enjoying it even more this time around

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#22 Old 03-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I'm enjoying it quite well, I just need to get a hold of it again though! I had it out from the library and it got overdue and had to be returned. It's pretty good considering I'm not much a fan of epic fantasy - Tolkien bores me silly!
#23 Old 03-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Beginner

I have to get started on the Harry Potter books before the fifth one comes out. I keep saying I'm going to read them but I never get around to it.
#24 Old 03-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Beginner

I'm currently reading Maeve Binchy's new novel Quentins. I'm really enjoying it so far. About a group of people involved w/a popular Dublin restaurant.
#25 Old 03-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Beginner

I've spend several days reading:

God, Hate and Guns; the America of the bush dynasty.

Very interesting to read about the problems America has and how things work at your place.
#26 Old 03-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Banned

Speaking of reading:

http://www.slickdeals.net/coupons/borders.pdf

On March 18th and 19th, get 20% off (10% off video games) at Borders. Just show your student ID.
#27 Old 03-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Beginner

I am also reading "The Plague" by Albert Camus. In the meantime, I am quickly trying to get through Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" before this weekend so I can see the movie. I see lots of movies and read lots of books.

I am also quickly trying to read the "Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman, I plan to see him this Friday!!! I can't wait.

Recently I read "You Don't Need Meat" by Peter Cox, "Food For Life", and many other books regarding nutrition, puppy training.

Next book I plan to read is about 2 young Chinese boys who stumble across a bunch of books, I forget the name of it.
#28 Old 03-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by dotnetdiva

Next book I plan to read is about 2 young Chinese boys who stumble across a bunch of books, I forget the name of it.

balzac and the little chinese seamstress?

i miss reading real books. mostly school books for me but i am sloooowly getting thru 'delta of venus'

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#29 Old 03-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Currently reading the following books:

"The Cabinet of Curiosities" by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston.

"Domain" by Steve Alten.

My all-time favorite: Jurassic Park by Michael Chrichton.
#30 Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Beginner

I am reading "I know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. It is on Oprah's book club and I highly reccomend it. I am not quite done with it yet but it is hard to put down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page