Fifty Shades of Grey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Beginner

This book seems to have become some sort of phenomenon with woman dreaming of Christian Grey and squabbling over who is getting the last copy in Waterstones. On holiday last week about half the girls around the pool had a copy!

What are your thoughts on it?

I’ve only read the first one out of the trilogy so far.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Beginner

i haven't read it and only looked up the description recently. it doesn't sound very interesting to me
#3 Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Beginner

It's poorly written, suffers from protagonist-centered morality, the main characters are insufferable and the erotica is fairly vanilla.

However, it's smutty wish-fulfillment fluff so it's hardly meant to be high literature. It's not my cup of smutty wish-fulfillment fluff, but if it's yours, you're welcome to it.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#4 Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

It's poorly written, suffers from protagonist-centered morality, the main characters are insufferable and the erotica is fairly vanilla.

However, it's smutty wish-fulfillment fluff so it's hardly meant to be high literature. It's not my cup of smutty wish-fulfillment fluff, but if it's yours, you're welcome to it.

This is the impression I've gotten, I haven't actually read it but I've read and heard bits and pieces of it and it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I know it started out as Twilight fanfic so it's not like it was ever trying to be good. tongue3.gif

I'm just impressed the author has made such a ridiculous amount of money out of something she started writing just for fun. I'm kind of curious to read it because it seems like it will probably make me laugh (I've actually been known to read a little BDSM erotica from time to time but this seems too cheesy to be a turn on wink3.gif) but I really don't want to add it to my collection so I'll probably borrow it from the library at some point later.

I'm assuming it will give me the giggles because this link did:
(NOT SAFE FOR WORK OBVIOUSLY)
‘50 Shades of Grey’ Speed Read: 14 Naughtiest Bits

Also, I just saw this for the first time last night and holy crap I laughed so hard. I never thought I'd hear Iago from Aladdin say such scandalous things:
(ALSO NOT SAFE FOR WORK. If someone at work heard this you would get some strange looks... evil.gif)

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Beginner

I work in a library, so I can't escape the madness. The handful of co-workers who've read it have pronounced it boring and relatively tame.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#6 Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

I heard it's about a bastard who's so rich, he owns 50 pairs of sunglasses.

#7 Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Beginner

Oh I didn't like these books at all. Everyone kept raving about them so I suffered through the first two books, waiting for something to happen and finally gave up and could not finish the third book.

1) The sex scenes are nice and steamy, what every girl wants (to be punished and spanked) rolleyes.gif, but they were about every 5-10 pages. I was literally groaning out loud when the story was interrupted by yet another sex scene. It got old. Maybe if she limited it to 3-4 really hot scenes per book it might have been a bit more titillating.

2) The characters? Groan. He f*n likes you, you f*n like him, quit your whining for pages and pages.

3) The grammar. Where the f was the editor on this one?

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice- far superior.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#8 Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Ankle Biter

I've no interest in reading 50 Shades of Grey, but I will look for the Sleeping Beauty book! wink3.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Beginner

I've heard and read (on Jezebel amongst others) that it's so full of tropes regarding women that I'm not sure I'd want to read it (not really interested in erotica anyway....)

#10 Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Beginner

Haha you guys!

Can't wait to look at those links, Werewolf Girl, but I'm at work, and they think I'm strange enough as it is without them hearing Disney characters talking dirty to me.

My general thoughts so far (I have only just started the second one) is that they are as people have pointed out, poorly written. The editor should be slapped across the face with a hard back copy of it. Having said that, if you take it as a light read and a bit of fun, I didn't find it totally awful and have to admit I did get stuck into and was quite engaged at the end.

I am also incredibly impressed with how much money she has made from it, it was her first book and yet she has sold a reported 31 million copies of it!

I didn't have any intention of reading it either, but everyone else, seemingly in the world, had read it so I thought I would give it a go. I hope Ana stops moaning in the second one though, she's ridiculously needy!

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#11 Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Banned

This review is hilarious:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215?auto_login_attempted=true

not interested in reading these books, there are too many good books that i need to read, can't waste my time on poorly written smut.

#12 Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I second this, if you're into BDSM kinky stuff. When CoSB came out it was under a pseudonym, Anne Roquelaire or something. Might be republished under Rice's real name now. I also recommend the Kushiel's Dart trilogy by Jacqueline Carey, much much better writing and still with plenty of steamy submissive-y smut.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#13 Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Beginner

OMG, that Gilbert Gottfried thing made me cry with laughter.

#14 Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I like Anne Rice but I haven't read that one, I should. I know I've read some erotica of hers, it might have been short stories under a pseudonym. I enjoyed her first few Vampire books too, not erotica but still smutty wink3.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

Haha you guys!

Can't wait to look at those links, Werewolf Girl, but I'm at work, and they think I'm strange enough as it is without them hearing Disney characters talking dirty to me.

laugh.gif I'll bet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

I second this, if you're into BDSM kinky stuff. When CoSB came out it was under a pseudonym, Anne Roquelaire or something. Might be republished under Rice's real name now. I also recommend the Kushiel's Dart trilogy by Jacqueline Carey, much much better writing and still with plenty of steamy submissive-y smut.

I may have to check that out too, I like this thread wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Oh **** this is hot! laugh.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Me too, when he said CLITORIS I had to pause it so I could catch my breath laugh.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page