Gaming Blogger Gets Fired For Making Misogynistic Comments About Felicia Day - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

http://jezebel.com/5922961/the-fight-against-misogynism-in-gaming-enlists-some-big-names

Quote:
What prompted a gaming writer to go on a Twitter rampage against actress, gamer, and self-described "new media geek" Felicia Day last weekend? The now-fired blogger says he was just acting "drunk and stupid." But the incident is yet another example of how easy it is for gamers to bond over misogyny.
"Does Felicia Day matter at all?" Destructoid contributor Ryan Perez tweeted to no one in particular last Friday night. "I mean does she actually contribute anything useful to this industry, besides retaining a geek persona?" Then, he tweeted directly to Day: "Could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don't seem to add anything creative to the medium."

Perez' tweets could've gone unnoticed a few months ago; if the U.S. had a dollar for every bitter, ignorant dude online, we wouldn't be in a recession. But there's been so much rampant misogyny in the gaming industry lately that people are justifiably on edge when it comes to sexism, and Perez woke up on Sunday morning to an onslaught of Twitter followers (he had around 50 when he first tweeted at Day, now he has almost 2,500) thanks to shoutouts from people like technology reporter Veronica Belmont and Wil Wheaton, who each have way more than a million fans following them on Twitter. "I have ****ing had it with idiot ******* men being ****bags to @feliciaday because they're threatened by her creativity and success," Wheaton tweeted. "I'm sick of idiot men giving *any* woman grief in gamer and geek culture. Enough already, we're better than that."

Wheaton criticized Destructoid for employing an "ignorant misogynist," and soon, the website cut ties with Perez. "Destructoid has ended its relationship with Ryan Perez, effective immediately. We again apologize to @feliciaday and all others concerned," the website's editors tweeted. Perez also made a big, pathetic multi-tweet show of apologizing to Day, who classily accepted his apology.

Ha! Serves him right sneaky.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Beginner

She is classy and sexy beatnik2.gif

#3 Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

She is classy and sexy beatnik2.gif

Yeah, I love her. And I don't know how you can say someone isn't creative and just a booth babe when they created, wrote and starred in their own successful web series dizzy2.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4 Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I don't know who any of these people are, but he really got fired for tweeting the above? Pretty strict place, I guess, I mean 'glorified booth babe'? Stupid and probably untrue, but fireable?
#5 Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I don't know who any of these people are, but he really got fired for tweeting the above? Pretty strict place, I guess, I mean 'glorified booth babe'? Stupid and probably untrue, but fireable?

Well, Destructoid relies on the good will of the geek community to survive, and having a blogger on your staff who will get super drunk and insult geek celebrities over Twitter is really bad for business. The amount of negative backlash they got after this incident was huge, and having Will Wheaton (from Star Trek) stand up for Day and call them out for employing this person was probably a big factor.

#6 Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Thank god there's some ****ing geek who get's super drunk. Didn't think it happened, until I read this. And she ain't hot. 

#7 Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:

It's likely they caved to pressure. I think personally (as employer) I would have just demanded an apology, but it is a really dick move to @ mention public figures you're insulting on twitter.

We are all copies of the same machine. 

#8 Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Quote:

It's likely they caved to pressure. I think personally (as employer) I would have just demanded an apology, but it is a really dick move to @ mention public figures you're insulting on twitter.

That makes sense. Once it has spread everywhere, the employer has to deal with it in some way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page