Star Trek: Enterprise - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Beginner

Admittedly the weakest of the Star Trek series but you can watch all of the episodes here... and some of them are very good.

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod...Vp3sD8qHbF60MU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Beginner

The Xindi episodes were great. Too bad they didn't have more like them.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#3 Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

The Xindi episodes were great. Too bad they didn't have more like them.

Disagree. That's the only part I didn't like about the series. That and the series ending.
#4 Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Disagree. That's the only part I didn't like about the series. That and the series ending.

What in particular didn't you like about those episodes?

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#5 Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Admittedly the weakest of the Star Trek series but you can watch all of the episodes here... and some of them are very good.

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod...Vp3sD8qHbF60MU

DS9 was the weakest in my opinion. I resisted Enterprise at first because I didn't really like T'Pol, but when I gave the show a second chance, I loved the series. I actually got finished watching the DVDs for a second time about a month ago.
#6 Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Beginner

You are so awesome for sharing this
#7 Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Playing it while studying.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:

What in particular didn't you like about those episodes?

It' been a number of years, but I think my major problem with it was that the Xindi totally believed people blindly with absolutely no proof, reason, or anything. Somebody was like, "Hey this planet Earth and these people called humans are going to destroy your world," And the Xindi were like, "Oh yeah? We'd better build some WMD and kill their planet!"

It was just so arbitrary and unbelievable.
#9 Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Beginner

^I generally dislike long term plot arcs in Star Trek. I thought the Borg kind of dragged down TNG as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I resisted Enterprise at first because I didn't really like T'Pol,

Lol, that was the only reason I watched the show. T'Pol was really sexy, even though her outfits were embarrassingly sexualized.
#10 Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

^I generally dislike long term plot arcs in Star Trek. I thought the Borg kind of dragged down TNG as well.

Me too. I understand why they do long story arcs, because writing new plot all the time can be hard, and it's nice to have some things that are constant, but my favorite episodes of all the series are the ones about some new thing that may or may not be an enemy. They encounter it, figure out what it is and how they affected it with their encounter, assess it's sapience and malevolence, and deal with it appropriately, by fighting or befriending or aiding or fixing their own **** up... That's what I like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Lol, that was the only reason I watched the show. T'Pol was really sexy, even though her outfits were embarrassingly sexualized.

She was hot.

Me as a lady, though, after watching her in four seasons (it was four seasons I think) I started feeling fat. Stupid teevee with your stupidly thin actresses! Then there was Seven of Nine...
#11 Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:

It' been a number of years, but I think my major problem with it was that the Xindi totally believed people blindly with absolutely no proof, reason, or anything. Somebody was like, "Hey this planet Earth and these people called humans are going to destroy your world," And the Xindi were like, "Oh yeah? We'd better build some WMD and kill their planet!"

It was just so arbitrary and unbelievable.

You mean it's an unrealistic scenario for people to believe what they hear without proof? I think 99% of the world population is exactly like that...

Also, I think they were inclined to believe them because those beings helped the Xindi out, and gained their trust. And the reptiles were itching for an enemy to fight anyway.

-nomad888
#12 Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Beginner

Quote:

You mean it's an unrealistic scenario for people to believe what they hear without proof? I think 99% of the world population is exactly like that...

Also, I think they were inclined to believe them because those beings helped the Xindi out, and gained their trust. And the reptiles were itching for an enemy to fight anyway.

:shrug: What can I say? I liked the show, but that story arc bothered me.

Someday I'll rewatch it and maybe I'll feel differently.
#13 Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:

What can I say? I liked the show, but that story arc bothered me.

Well you're certainly not alone in that one, as it seems to be the primary reason most people give for not liking the show, at least in most of the articles and forum posts I've read over the years. I myself didn't mind the story line per se, just that it was dragged out for way too long and I got bored with it after a while.
#14 Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Beginner

You can also watch full episodes of the original series as well... Space Seed is one of my favorites since it introduces Khan:

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod..._xlPweBxZQ3JbK
#15 Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:

You can also watch full episodes of the original series as well... Space Seed is one of my favorites since it introduces Khan:

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod..._xlPweBxZQ3JbK

Space Seed makes me so angry it's hard to watch. Nasty psychological manipulation and a clearly unbalanced relationship between the ship's resident historian () and Khan that is never addressed. I guess he just gets over being an abusive ******* once they set up a cozy little cabin on crap world before she conveniently gets bitten by one of the poisonous fauna. I'm not buying it!

I've always been partial to This Side of Paradise, personally.
#16 Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Space Seed makes me so angry it's hard to watch. Nasty psychological manipulation and a clearly unbalanced relationship between the ship's resident historian () and Khan that is never addressed. I guess he just gets over being an abusive ******* once they set up a cozy little cabin on crap world before she conveniently gets bitten by one of the poisonous fauna. I'm not buying it!

Yeah I know what you mean and have thought that myself while watching that episode but sometimes you just gotta watch TOS through the lens of time and accept it for what it was. The series as a whole made huge strides in promoting gender and racial equality, and I think we both know that even today there are plenty of women like Lt. McGivers who would get weak in their knees over someone like Khan. Hell, I would.
#17 Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Yeah I know what you mean and have thought that myself while watching that episode but sometimes you just gotta watch TOS through the lens of time and accept it for what it was. The series as a whole made huge strides in promoting gender and racial equality, and I think we both know that even today there are plenty of women like Lt. McGivers who would get weak in their knees over someone like Khan. Hell, I would.

Oh I know, and I really like TOS. That episode is just the worst.
#18 Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Oh I know, and I really like TOS. That episode is just the worst.

I think the worst episode of TOS was Let That Be Your Last Battlefield with the half-black half-white aliens. My God, talk about beating a point home.

One of my personal favorites is Assignment: Earth because it had Teri Garr and Robert Lansing (as Gary Seven) and was a whole lot of fun:

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod...f36_R0e_KXst_w
#19 Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Me too. I understand why they do long story arcs, because writing new plot all the time can be hard, and it's nice to have some things that are constant, but my favorite episodes of all the series are the ones about some new thing that may or may not be an enemy. They encounter it, figure out what it is and how they affected it with their encounter, assess it's sapience and malevolence, and deal with it appropriately, by fighting or befriending or aiding or fixing their own **** up... That's what I like to see.

yes, absolutely. One-off story lines also capture a sense of adventure and discovery that longer story lines don't. And it's just tremendously satisfying to have the crew meet up on the bridge after having accomplished something significant as the captain says "Engage".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jd1Ih8EUmw

Quote:
Me as a lady, though, after watching her in four seasons (it was four seasons I think) I started feeling fat. Stupid teevee with your stupidly thin actresses! Then there was Seven of Nine...

I sometimes wondered if she was wearing a corset or something. I think Blalock was a model before working Star Trek.

Quote:

I think the worst episode of TOS was Let That Be Your Last Battlefield with the half-black half-white aliens. My God, talk about beating a point home.

reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld with the black and white cookie. I actually haven't seen more than two or three episodes of the original series, though. To me everything before The Next Generation was just building up to it, and everything after can't do more than live in its shadow.
#20 Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Well you're certainly not alone in that one, as it seems to be the primary reason most people give for not liking the show, at least in most of the articles and forum posts I've read over the years. I myself didn't mind the story line per se, just that it was dragged out for way too long and I got bored with it after a while.

I forget the title of the episode, but do you guys remember the one about the alien with the limited attention span and instant gratification issues?

-nomad888
#21 Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Beginner

No but please post the video if you can.
#22 Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:

One of my personal favorites is Assignment: Earth because it had Teri Garr and Robert Lansing (as Gary Seven) and was a whole lot of fun:

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episod...f36_R0e_KXst_w

Yeah, they certainly weren't subtle with their moralizing.

Assignment: Earth was fun! And it always cracks me up when something is made up for a plot and then totally not sufficiently explained. "We went back in time! For... research!" Or a planet looks exactly like Earth and there's amazing parallels with Earth history and it's basically identical because... Oh never mind, look over there, those kids are hundreds of years old! Wow!
#23 Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I forget the title of the episode, but do you guys remember the one about the alien with the limited attention span and instant gratification issues?

It turns out it was man!
#24 Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Assignment: Earth was fun! And it always cracks me up when something is made up for a plot and then totally not sufficiently explained.

Yeah that always cracked me up too!

"Using the lightspeed breakaway factor, the Enterprise has moved back through time to the twentieth century... Our mission, historical research."

Okie dokie... since the slingshot effect once accidentally propelled the Enterprise back in time... apparently now it's a 'thing'!

Still a great episode though.
#25 Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I liked ST: Enterprise. At first I didn't like antagonism between Vulcans and humans, but I got over that and it was an interesting storyline.

It was interesting that they brought stuff up to explain future stuff. Like the ancestor of Data's creator being involved with the whole Klingon looking like humans in TOS time, but like TNG Klingons in all other shows.

I'm not a fan of time travel stuff, so the whole temporal cold war was a bit much.

I believe everything.
#26 Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

It was interesting that they brought stuff up to explain future stuff. Like the ancestor of Data's creator being involved with the whole Klingon looking like humans in TOS time, but like TNG Klingons in all other shows.

That's what I enjoyed most also and as a result... Season 4 of Enterprise was my favorite. But unfortunately it was just too late in the series to save it. One of my favorite episodes is Daedalus (Season 4, Episode 10) where the history of transporter technology is explored. Also, the history of Khan and the other augments was explored in a Season 4 arc which expanded on the Eugenics Wars and ultimately led Dr. Arik Soong (Brent Spiner) to abandon genetics and explore cybernetics instead. It saddens me that the series was canceled at this point because I think it was just then finding it's legs. Would have been interesting to see where it went from that point.
#27 Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:

That's what I enjoyed most also and as a result... Season 4 of Enterprise was my favorite. But unfortunately it was just too late in the series to save it. One of my favorite episodes is Daedalus (Season 4, Episode 10) where the history of transporter technology is explored. Also, the history of Khan and the other augments was explored in a Season 4 arc which expanded on the Eugenics Wars and ultimately led Dr. Arik Soong (Brent Spiner) to abandon genetics and explore cybernetics instead.

I remember there being some other things like that, but I just can't remember them now.

One that is kind of related was when they found the USS Defiant in "In a Mirror, Darkly". The alternate universe. The USS Defiant was from TOS "Tholian Web".

Quote:

It saddens me that the series was canceled at this point because I think it was just then finding it's legs. Would have been interesting to see where it went from that point.

I thought so too.

I believe everything.
#28 Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

One that is kind of related was when they found the USS Defiant in "In a Mirror, Darkly". The alternate universe. The USS Defiant was from TOS "Tholian Web".

Yep, that's yet another Season 4 storyline which I liked very much and I especially enjoyed that it was presented entirely from the point of view of the mirror universe, but still tied into TOS events quite nicely. The modified opening credits were a real treat as well. But again I think it was just too late in the series to save it. It sucks, because the series had so much potential. Do you think there will be another Star Trek series of any kind? I'm hoping the new film reboot will spawn something, as I enjoyed the new film very much.
#29 Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yep, that's yet another Season 4 storyline which I liked very much and I especially enjoyed that it was presented entirely from the point of view of the mirror universe, but still tied into TOS events quite nicely. The modified opening credits were a real treat as well. But again I think it was just too late in the series to save it. It sucks, because the series had so much potential. Do you think there will be another Star Trek series of any kind? I'm hoping the new film reboot will spawn something, as I enjoyed the new film very much.

The new film was great, but I think after watching it for the second (or third... ) time I realized I really prefer the television shows. Movies are all action and lights and kissin' and then it's over. I like all the time they are able to spend on each character and each romance and each plot in a series.

So I hope it's not the end of the Star Trek television universe. MOAR Star Trek!
#30 Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Beginner

I know... and to think that at one time we had two Star Trek series on television at the same time!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page