Grimm/Once Upon a Time/Snow White, etc. - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Beginner

So this season there are two new series on American TV: Grimm on NBC and Once Upon a Time on ABC. Both feature "modern" twists on some of the old fairy tales we grew up with. There is also a new movie version of Snow White with Julia Roberts(!) as the Evil Queen. These are not the only "modern" twists on the fairy tales we've seen in the last few years, but they're the latest.

I haven't seen the movie yet, not sure if I'm going to, but I enjoy both of the TV series.

Who else watches them?

And am I the only one who hated Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast? Talking and singing candlesticks and teacups, give me a break. I'm not that enthralled with Disney's other fairy tale movies, either, but BatB I especially dislike.

And why now? Why are people tuning in to this stuff? Is it that when times are bad, we revert back to our childhoods?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Beginner

I was never really into fairy tales as a kid. I did start to watch Grimm though because I liked the concept of the show and I am a fan of the writers and directors. I gave up on it though after the first few episodes. It just wasn't keeping my interest and Monroe was the only reason I lasted as long as I did.

I have no interest in Once Upon a Time or the new Snow White remakes (isn't there suppose to be a few?). However, I did really like this version of Snow White: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119227/
#3 Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

And am I the only one who hated Disney's version of Beauty and the Beast? Talking and singing candlesticks and teacups, give me a break. I'm not that enthralled with Disney's other fairy tale movies, either, but BatB I especially dislike.

And why now? Why are people tuning in to this stuff? Is it that when times are bad, we revert back to our childhoods?

I really loved that version. That is a good point about the idea behind the fairytale themes, maybe a wistful reminder of more innocent times. I much prefer Once Upon A Time although the recent episode of Grimm with the fire-breathing woman was actually the best one so far I thought. I think OUAT has some very strong female characters although I read that the show was criticised for that reason. The lead character in Grimm is a little bland and Monroe does steal the show.
#4 Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Beginner

I watch Grimm and think it is pretty good; I enjoy the special effects. I tried to watch Once Upon a Time and couldn't get into it. I don't plan on seeing the new Snow White movie. I remember being scared to death of the wicked queen when I was a child. I don't know why they are making so many of these types of shows/films. I think there are way too few NEW ideas and too much "copying" of older material.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#5 Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Beginner

I hated Disney's Snow White as a kid...

But I think Snow White and The Huntsman looks pretty cool. Mainly because Charlize Theron seems like she's a bad-ass evil queen!
#6 Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I really loved that version. That is a good point about the idea behind the fairytale themes, maybe a wistful reminder of more innocent times. I much prefer Once Upon A Time although the recent episode of Grimm with the fire-breathing woman was actually the best one so far I thought.I think OUAT has some very strong female characters although I read that the show was criticised for that reason. The lead character in Grimm is a little bland and Monroe does steal the show.

Really? That's pretty messed up. Were these criticisms made by the Republican GOP candidates? I agree about the lead character of Grimm. He had no depth and I never felt a connection to his character.
#7 Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Really? That's pretty messed up. Were these criticisms made by the Republican GOP candidates? I agree about the lead character of Grimm. He had no depth and I never felt a connection to his character.

Maybe they were objecting to the fact that the strongest female character on OUAT is the Evil Queen, so I wouldn't blame them for that kind of criticism. But if they were criticizing the idea of ANY female character being a strong character, then that certainly would be messed up.

As for Nick on Grimm not having any depth, I've never noticed it. I enjoy the series and while I think it's about time he told his girlfriend what he is and what's going on, I watch the series mainly because I think it's an interesting twist on the usual crime show. And Monroe is definitely one of the more interesting characters on it, and I'd like to see more of him.

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

As for Nick on Grimm not having any depth, I've never noticed it. I enjoy the series and while I think it's about time he told his girlfriend what he is and what's going on, I watch the series mainly because I think it's an interesting twist on the usual crime show. And Monroe is definitely one of the more interesting characters on it, and I'd like to see more of him.

Monroe just needs his own show!!
#9 Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Really? That's pretty messed up. Were these criticisms made by the Republican GOP candidates?

Haha, I can't remember where I read that.

Quote:

Monroe just needs his own show!!

Yes!
#10 Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Im watching Grimm...i really like it. But then again i like all that fairytale stuff.
I dont like Nicks wife though...shes so..urgh..like shes the perfect wife, 'i dont have bad days, and I work, cook clean and please my man...and listen to all his troubles...I also look a princess first thing in the morning'
Pur-lease!
#11 Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Beginner

I enjoyed the episodes of Grimm that I've seen, (I'm way behind on it now) and I really like OUAT. It gets a little soap-opera-y for me, but i forgive it for the new twists on the back stories of the characters.
#12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I watch Grimm. Nick is pretty, but also mildly boring. He's a solid character for what they need him to be right now, we'll see if he develops as the show progresses. I like Monroe a lot, though he is often used as an expositional plot device. He does have some of the best lines (him and Sgt. Wu) and he's also a vegetarian!! I am also *very* fond of Captain Renard, but that could just be because of Sasha Roiz, since Renard's kind of a jerk when he's not pretending to be super upstanding police chief guy.

I think there's been a massive increase in popularity of fantasy/sci-fi/urban fantasy media these days. Part of it, I think, is that our special FX capabilities are so advanced that you can get realistic alien/fantastical imagery - there's no longer that "B-movie" cheap feel to things anymore. The genres are also becoming more mainstream, maybe the fact that "geeks" are making more money and thus influencing businesses to cater towards them makes these genres more acceptable and easily accessed for "non-geeks"? The use of fairy tales as a starting point is likely to combine the urban fantasy thing with a world that most audiences are familiar with - it's quicker to use things that are already in our culture than having to explain an entire new world and mythos to an audience.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#13 Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Beginner

I liked Grimm better at very first but now I like OUAT much better.

I am not sure about the two snow white movies that are coming out.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Beginner

Oh I am so looking forward to Snow White...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SQ9xBXMX0
#15 Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Beginner

So obsessed with OUAT right now. I am reading IMDB forms and seeing all the spoilers. I am lame.

If anyone is obsessed like me here is an interview with the writers. It is a 3 parter.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page