CD or Digital Download? In what format do you purchase music? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
View Poll Results: In what format do you purchase music?
I purchase all my music through buying CDs. 3 11.54%
I purchase all my music through digital downloads. 6 23.08%
75 percent CDs, 25 percent digital downloads. 1 3.85%
50-50 (CDs vs. digital downloads). 1 3.85%
75 percent digital downloads, 25 percent CDs. 2 7.69%
I am over 25 years old. 9 34.62%
I only purchase CDs with DVD-type content. 0 0%
I avoid purchasing music. 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Joe
Beginner

This poll is primarily for people 25 and under. People over 25 should feel free to post in the thread, but please select the "over 25" option in the poll. Also, if you could indicate your decade in your post (30s, 40s, etc) that would be helpful.

"Digital downloads" is used to indicate people who purchase music in the form of downloadable computer files (MP3s, WMVs, OGGs, etc.) through such services as iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, etc.

Please select the option closest to your purchasing practices during the last year or two.

The purpose of the age restriction is to focus on what younger/college-age people are doing, but also to focus on whether the CD format is really commercially viable by downplaying the behavior of people who may be purchasing CDs out of the force of habit.

Digital purchases have certainly increased in recent years, but I'm trying to get a feel for how much this is so and what is the behavior of people by age group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Beginner

I purchase all of my music through Amazon or directly from the artist/s via digital download. Also, I am 32.
#3 Old 06-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I don't really purchase any, generally I listen online on Spotify or Last.fm. If I do buy any, it's downloaded. And if there's an album I've been listening to that I really, reaaaally love and listen to frequently...I will purchase the CD (this is very rare though.)

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#4 Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

deleted
#5 Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Beginner

I am 31 years old, and I rarely buy any music anymore. When I did, it was in the form of CDs mostly. If I were to buy music nowadays, it would be in digital form.
#6 Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Beginner

I am over 25, and I couldn't tell you the last time I bought an actual CD. I buy all of my music through Amazon or iTunes.
#7 Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Beginner

What the... I thought the age thing was a joke.

All my CDs were stolen so now I get everything as a download unless there's some special reason not to. But the whole 'having my entire music collection stolen' thing has basically meant that I mostly listen to the radio now and don't much bother with 'my' music anymore since obviously it's not mine.
#8 Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Beginner

I buy mine on CD. Thinking about going back into vinyl though. Oh, and yes I'm over 25... Thirtysomething.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."- A. Whitney Brown
#9 Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Beginner

I'm 30.

I'm 100% digital download now.

I get robbed on average about once a year, and I'm tired of re-purchasing CDs four times or more.

I actually have a special gmail account set up for my music. They have the cloud thing now, but for years, every time I purchase a new song or album, I'll attach each file to an e-mail and send it to that address. Permanent storage. My whole house can burn to the ground, but I can still get to all of my music!!!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#10 Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Beginner

I'm 33 and I haven't bought any type of music in forever but when I did it was always on cds. I have never purchased any music online in digital format.
#11 Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Beginner

#12 Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

What the... I thought the age thing was a joke.

No. And I'm sorry if that aspect of the poll offended you or anyone else. The poll grew out of a question put to me by my old college philosophy professor (who is 65+ and still teaching undergraduates), who is a classical music fan that I correspond with through e-mail. He wanted to know about music in digital format, and specifically whether "young people" (roughly college age people) are still buying CDs. Since I am over 40, I really had no clue what "young people" are doing, but had to assume that their purchasing practices might differ significantly from those of older people.

I do not support age discrimination. But it is just an aspect of reality that people's behavior in many aspects of life often tends to differ with age, so that aspect has to be factored in if we are to understand that behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

All my CDs were stolen so now I get everything as a download unless there's some special reason not to. But the whole 'having my entire music collection stolen' thing has basically meant that I mostly listen to the radio now and don't much bother with 'my' music anymore since obviously it's not mine.

I am very sorry to hear that. I guess I am fortunate to live in a low crime area and have never had anything stolen from inside my house.
#13 Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I get robbed on average about once a year, and I'm tired of re-purchasing CDs four times or more.

I am very sorry to hear this. Also, this is an eye-opener to me, reading both your and ElaineV's post. I never imagined that this would be a factor in CD vs. digital purchases. I guess I'm naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I actually have a special gmail account set up for my music. They have the cloud thing now, but for years, every time I purchase a new song or album, I'll attach each file to an e-mail and send it to that address. Permanent storage. My whole house can burn to the ground, but I can still get to all of my music!!!

I guess you are smarter than I am in that regard. I have a GMail account, but I haven't kept up with the "cloud thing." I did have a computer crash about 9 months ago, and was able to retrieve a lot of important files and documents from my GMail correspondence. But I never really thought of preserving music files that way.
#14 Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I am very sorry to hear this. Also, this is an eye-opener to me, reading both your and ElaineV's post. I never imagined that this would be a factor in CD vs. digital purchases. I guess I'm naive.

I guess you are smarter than I am in that regard. I have a GMail account, but I haven't kept up with the "cloud thing." I did have a computer crash about 9 months ago, and was able to retrieve a lot of important files and documents from my GMail correspondence. But I never really thought of preserving music files that way.

I never really thought about being robbed until the first time I sat down in my car to go to work, and realized I had to adjust my seat forward about 6 inches.

I like Amazon.com's cloud they just cranked up.

When you buy music on Amazon, they save it to your cloud. Its always there, and you can download it whenever you want. You can also UPLOAD your non-Amazon music (as long as its a legal copy) to your Amazon cloud for safe-keeping.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#15 Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

I'm 27. I buy most of my music in digital form, but I also collect vinyl. If I'm at a concert for someone local, I might buy a CD, but generally I stick to the other two formats.
#16 Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Beginner

I just turned 26 in May.

What's a CD? :P

I haven't bought a CD since high school.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#17 Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Beginner

My first CD was Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel.
#18 Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Beginner

#19 Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Beginner

OP, you should know that many young people still buy vinyl. Vinyl is considered the best by music snobs and is very trendy within a certain much-maligned subculture *cough*hipsters*cough*

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#20 Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Beginner

Note, I accidentally chose something other than "I'm over 25". Sorry for skewing the results...

I'm significantly over 25, and I'd say 90% of my music purchases are digital. The remaining 10% get digitized right away, and the CD is left to collect dust.

After going through years of records, 8 tracks, cassets, and CD's, I am a huge fan of the space saving digital format. A room full of music on a small plastic rectangle!!

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#21 Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Whenever I buy music, the only way I do so is by CD. I like having something that I can physically touch along with the music. I also really like vinyl, but my record collection is much smaller than my CD collection [mostly old stuff I picked up at garage sales and such]
#22 Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I don't really purchase any, generally I listen online on Spotify or Last.fm. If I do buy any, it's downloaded. And if there's an album I've been listening to that I really, reaaaally love and listen to frequently...I will purchase the CD (this is very rare though.)

Sorry, I didn't notice the age thing. I'm 22.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#23 Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Beginner

I'm big into music. If I had more money I would spend it on music, but I have more "adult" things (i.e. less fun things) to spend it on. When I do have some extra cash I like to buy vinyl if possible. My boyfriend and I have lots of albums and 7 inches between us, but also a lot of CDs. We enjoy having hard copies of things I guess. That being said, I have a large hard drive full of (mostly ripped from CD, I'm not that into buying digital copies) music because I like to listen to it on my iPod when I get the chance and I enjoy making playlists and listening to compilations as well as being able to shuffle my entire library! I also like to spend money on seeing bands live, but it's rare that the bands I love come to my part of the world and I certainly don't have the money to go to them. :-(

Oh, and I'm 27.
#24 Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

I'm 15, the only music I've ever bought/listened to is a Disneyland resort collector's album, which is not even available through digital download and I wanted to get it from Disneyland and it came in a cool Disneyland case and with a booklet with all the lyrics and everything.
#25 Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Beginner

I'm 19 and I buy all my music from CDs, I figure then you get the best of both worlds. I have a hard copy, incase I loose the digital file, but it only gets used once when I rip the music onto my PC so it's in perfect condition, and then you have it in mp3 anyway.

My MP3 player is quite small (I'm not fussed about technology so it's old and I'm not replacing it till it breaks!) and I moved PCs a while back - so I lost some of my digital files in the switch over. I also like having the hard copy - there's something nice about something tangible you can hold and have.

I also like a love of old/unpopular music so I mostly find my CDs second hand which works out quite cheap - especially as I find a lot of classical CDs in charity shops.

In contrast my dad (40s) downloads all his music, and my brother (20s) uses vinyl and downloading I think, and my boyfriend (20s) has all his music on CDs. So certainly in my family age doesn't seem to dictate much!

ETA: This amazon cloud thing sounds awesome. I'm going to go look
#26 Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I'm over 25 and I purchase most of my music via download. The last actual CD purchase was in 2009.
#27 Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Well, if "purchase" is the operative word I'll have to plead the fifth. If we're talking "acquire" then yes, I get my fix digitally.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#28 Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Beginner

Watch out if you buy movies from itunes I bought one on my Mac and I can't move it to another computer without downloading itunes and entering my account information. My burning software runs into problems whenever I try to put it to disk... Itunes also realizes when my Mac is hooked up to a tv, and doesn't allow the file to play. And movies suck on a 13 inch screen! Not much of a motivation to pay for something you can steal for free when there's no restrictions on the stolen copy
#29 Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Well, if "purchase" is the operative word I'll have to plead the fifth. If we're talking "acquire" then yes, I get my fix digitally.

Lol It's not illegal to borrow a friends CD and rip the music, so why's it illegal to download 10's of 1000's of songs off of the internet? You're just borrowing the CD from an internet friend Somebody must have purchased the CD somewhere down the line
#30 Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-Space View Post

It's not illegal to borrow a friends CD and rip the music,

Depends on what you are doing with the files you have ripped. If you are just giving them back to your friend, and erasing any copies of the files, that is not illegal AFAIK. If you are keeping copies of these music files for yourself or transferring them to a third person, this is illegal if the music on the CD is copyrighted.

The purpose of this thread is not to discuss the legalities of copyright. "I avoid purchasing music" is the appropriate choice. Further details are not really necessary. Discussion of illegal copying is totally unnecessary and against the rules of Veggie Boards AFAIK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page