30 Day Vegan Challenge - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#1 Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 PM

That's right! I'm challenging you to go vegan for 30 days! What have you got to lose? After all, there's no better day than today to start. The number of reasons to be a vegan is always growing.

Use this thread to accept the challenge, support each other, and ask for advice.

Give veganism a chance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 AM

oooo good idea. /signed.

Push your boundary's, take a dive, test the waters of an animal free life!
#3 Old 02-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Dh and I just ended a 30 day vegan run and felt so good that we have decided to continue...it was not as hard as we expected, and we were full blown omnis!

I am in.

Good luck to everyone
#4 Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM

That's great, Dace! Congrats and good luck!

*bump*

Anyone else in? This is a great way to show compassion for the animals, the Earth, and yourself!!
#5 Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Wow, nobody's up for the challenge?
#6 Old 02-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Wow, nobody's up for the challenge?

Anyone?
#7 Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 PM

How vegan do I have to be to participate? Are we talking about just obvious sources of animal-based foodstuffs, or do I have to make absolutely sure that the L-cysteine that was used as a dough conditioner in my bread was not extracted from duck feathers?
#8 Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

How vegan do I have to be to participate? Are we talking about just obvious sources of animal-based foodstuffs, or do I have to make absolutely sure that the L-cysteine that was used as a dough conditioner in my bread was not extracted from duck feathers?

This is personal journey of your own, so I'm not here to tell you that you can't join the challenge under certain conditions. If this concern of yours is one of the things holding you back from trying the challenge, let it go. Any step closer to veganism is better than nothing! I hope you decide to take the challenge!
#9 Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Actually, its not a concern. I plan to eventually forgo all mammals meat, poultry, eggs and dairy, and limit my fish consumption to a small serving once or twice a month. Im actually pretty close to that goal right now. But thats as far as Ill probably ever take it. I certainly would not purchase a fur or leather jacket, but at the same time I would not decline to purchase a pair of shoes because the uppers have a small piece of leather sew in. I was just kind of curious as to what the ground rules were.
#10 Old 02-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Actually, its not a concern. I plan to eventually forgo all mammals meat, poultry, eggs and dairy, and limit my fish consumption to a small serving once or twice a month. Im actually pretty close to that goal right now. But thats as far as Ill probably ever take it. I certainly would not purchase a fur or leather jacket, but at the same time I would not decline to purchase a pair of shoes because the uppers have a small piece of leather sew in. I was just kind of curious as to what the ground rules were.

Okay, thanks for explaining. Then please don't call yourself a vegan if you're eating fish and wearing leather.
#11 Old 02-10-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm actually starting a 21 day challenge, after reading Vegan Freak.
#12 Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 PM

WOW what a great idea. Is anyone still doing this? I would love to join!
#13 Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Woo hoo Zandria and Revvell!! How exciting. Good luck to the both of you! Keep us posted!!
#14 Old 02-10-2007, 04:40 PM

I did this myself starting January 1st, and after the month was up, I just decided to keep on going

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Well..I've been trying to go vegan. So, I'm in! I dont know if I can do it. I'm going to try to cut out cheese, it's really the only nonvegan thing I eat. Sometimes I have others, but really, its only cheese.
#16 Old 02-10-2007, 05:43 PM

To everyone attempting the challenge: good luck!!!
#17 Old 02-10-2007, 11:50 PM

5 years of being vegan and what made it easy is to remember that cow's milk is for their calfs, and that's it. Just imagine if we got milk naturally from a cow. Ok, eww, he's laying on his back underneath her and, well he's got one of those things in his hand and, oh gross, holding it up to his, eww...and now he's.. oh gross!
#18 Old 02-11-2007, 04:59 AM

good luck everyone!

my veganism started with a 'test' month
#19 Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM

I haven't put any time in my mind, but i have not been using eggs for at least a year, milk is almost gone, i do still put a splash in my morning tea ( and yes i know about silk creamer and i think it tastes funny to me)........we use mostly soy and almond milk now.

cheese is 90% gone, i have had it on occasion on pizza with the kids.

and this is good for me because i used to be a cheese freak, but after reading much on dairy, i am pretty much done with it.

i also havent gotten the trace ingredients out yet in things like boca or ms farms, although we have reduced our use of these types of products.

so i am well on my way, just have to tweak a little more,

i may never get farther than this, but this is a huge step for me considering my past cheese intake alone.......LOL
#20 Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

I haven't put any time in my mind, but i have not been using eggs for at least a year, milk is almost gone, i do still put a splash in my morning tea ( and yes i know about silk creamer and i think it tastes funny to me)........we use mostly soy and almond milk now.

cheese is 90% gone, i have had it on occasion on pizza with the kids.

and this is good for me because i used to be a cheese freak, but after reading much on dairy, i am pretty much done with it.

i also havent gotten the trace ingredients out yet in things like boca or ms farms, although we have reduced our use of these types of products.

so i am well on my way, just have to tweak a little more,

i may never get farther than this, but this is a huge step for me considering my past cheese intake alone.......LOL

...so does this mean you're taking on the challenge? I'm a little confused.
#21 Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 AM

im aleady trying to go vegan, my husband made the decision about a week ago to go vegan. this should be a big help.
#22 Old 02-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

...so does this mean you're taking on the challenge? I'm a little confused.

no. im not. i do things my own slow way, little by little.
#23 Old 02-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Day 1 here, going well so far. I'm a little disappointed that I can't/won't eat my favorite cereal anymore (it contains gelatin, which I just blew off before). Also, we haven't gone out to eat yet, which I'm sure will be more difficult.

I tried Silk soy creamer, and it was fairly good. I find that I don't need as much of it as I did cow milk - also good, IMO.
#24 Old 02-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandria72 View Post

Day 1 here, going well so far. I'm a little disappointed that I can't/won't eat my favorite cereal anymore (it contains gelatin, which I just blew off before). Also, we haven't gone out to eat yet, which I'm sure will be more difficult.

I tried Silk soy creamer, and it was fairly good. I find that I don't need as much of it as I did cow milk - also good, IMO.

That's great zandria

I wouldn't have thought that many cereals have gelatin in them (Lucky Charms?)

Eating out can be quite easy, depending on the type of restaurant. Many ethnic restaurants are more veg-friendly than traditional US-style ones. You might look at menus on-line, if available.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Trader Joe's frosted mini-wheats. Most of the frosted wheat cereals seem to have gelatin. Maybe it helps set the coating?

Yes, there are a few ethnics places that work - Chinese, Thai, Mexican (maybe). I don't think Italian would work well. That's about it in this town. The American type places are not so vegan-friendly. My used-to-be favorite restaurant does not have ONE vegan entree, and the only vegetarian entree is fettuccine alfredo. Like every vegetarian wants to drown in fat? I think I'm going to leave a comment card for them. They have interesting omni dishes; they should be able to come up with something vegan.
#26 Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm trying to go vegan. The only non vegan thing that I still eat is cheese every few days, and I am cutting that out (I just bought 100% vegan cheese, not that soy stuff with casien or whatever it is in it). I also found a vegan chocolate. Lindtts (sp?) 70% dark choc, according to a member here anyway it is, which is good for me as I work in a choc shop and have mad craving for the stuff all the time. Other than those two things, everything else is vegan. And as I run out of makeup, toothpast, things of that nature, and as i need new shoes and clothes and such, Im going to make sure they are vegan as well. (no more silk or leather shoes, no more wool, which I didn't like too much anyway)

Only think Im sad about is burtsbees is not vegan (th lip balm, love the stuff!)

So as of tomorrow, I am going to try and do the 30 day challenge (I messed up today, ate cheese).

Good luck to everyone
#27 Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Good luck, Kaleigh! It's okay that you slipped up - tomorrow is a new day!!

Zandria: Have you tried any of Kashi's cereals? They are yummy.
#28 Old 02-11-2007, 07:19 PM

Argh. Ordering Chinese food was harder than I thought. One place said they put chicken broth in nearly all their meals - and didn't volunteer to leave it out for me. They offered to make mixed veggies in brown sauce. I declined. Another place said they'd make me a spicy brown garlic sauce (also mixed veggies, with tofu, but they forgot the tofu) so that's what I had. Still, it's a bummer that I can't get some of the more interesting sauces. We order from this place a lot, so I'm tempted to go in and chat with the woman who works there about what she can make for me...
#29 Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Argh. Ordering Chinese food was harder than I thought. One place said they put chicken broth in nearly all their meals - and didn't volunteer to leave it out for me. They offered to make mixed veggies in brown sauce. I declined. Another place said they'd make me a spicy brown garlic sauce (also mixed veggies, with tofu, but they forgot the tofu) so that's what I had. Still, it's a bummer that I can't get some of the more interesting sauces. We order from this place a lot, so I'm tempted to go in and chat with the woman who works there about what she can make for me...

Sorry to hear that. You should give it a shot and see what they can put together for you! Hopefully they will be understanding and accommodating.
#30 Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Trader Joe's frosted mini-wheats. Most of the frosted wheat cereals seem to have gelatin. Maybe it helps set the coating?

We discovered that the Kelloggs Organic Frosted Mini Wheats do not have gelatin in them. Another option would be to buy the plain shredded wheat type cereal and just add your own sweetener (I like to add a bit of sugar and soy milk, and heat it all up in the microwave - yum!). Or you could try the Kashi cereals of a similar nature - the Autumn Wheat is so good and addictive (even straight out of the box) that we had to stop buying it because we would just go crazy with it.

Good luck to everyone on the challenge!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page