VeggieBoards banner

6 Day Vegan and Vomitted

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PlantBasedBen 
#1 ·
So I began a Vegan Lifestyle just six days ago. Priot to this I would eat dairy products and/or meat six times a day. On Friday, after eating my last tuna, I decided to make a radical change to Vegan. I was feeling great and super light with extra enegry, etc.
Today, however, I woke up had quinoa, almond milk, blueberry, banana and peanut butter shake and went to the gym. i did feel a little sore but trained through the morning.. later some lentil and spinach soup and around 1:30 I started to feel a little weak and nautious. I layed down and took a nap and when I woke up I puked my heart out.. And with the vomit I did have some light diarrea too.
Im feeling better now but is this normal? I dis cut off meats and dairys kinda abruptly.. Thanks for any feed back :)

#3 ·
If this only happens once and you are sure you are fully recovered and there is no wider problem I would not worry about too much. However, if it happens multiple times consider seeing a medical professional and trying a steadier rather than radical change, swopping in new foods for old ones one by one.

Let us know when you have any other doubts.

#4 ·
Either you ate something bad (wash those veggies!) or your stomach just didn't agree with the combination or quantity of foods you ate especially since vegans consume more fiber and more volume of food per calorie. You might also have been affected by pushing your body exercising. Sometimes I feel nauseous and weak afterwards if I worked out too hard.

I don't think there's any medical reasons for your body becoming sick from giving up meat and dairy, in fact the opposite is what should happen and I became vegan overnight cold turkey and my body thanked me for giving up meat and dairy.

#5 ·
Maybe not normal, but many vegans report flu-like symptoms when they first become vegan, even if they make the transition slower.

I had bowel issues and some flu like symptoms on and off for almost a month before my body adjusted and I was pescatarian for nearly two months before going vegan. It's a transition and it takes time for your body to detox.

If you were a heavy drinker or into drugs and gave them up cold turkey, you'd go through something similar for a few weeks. Your body is detoxing and things are going to be a bit off for a few weeks.

Of course, it could be a bug or bad food, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.