Making the leap. - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jamie in Chile

#1 Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM

Making the leap.

I have been veggie since the age of 13 much to the disdain of my mother. My diet is however on the poor side and I am a little overweight as a result. It spent many years doing high mileage in the car so grabbed snacks from services for lunch etc. This usually involved a cheese sandwich, bag of crisps and a fizzy drink. Being mid 40s weight is easy to put on if I am not careful.

For the last 10 years I have been eating less dairy and want to go vegan. It will mean I am forced to be less lazy and make more decent food rather than rubbish snacks. There are a couple of things I will find hard. First is milk on cereal. What alternative is there that isn’t either brown or tastes horrible? Second is cottage cheese, I love it on a baked spud with chopped chilli’s. Is ther3 a vegan alternative?

For those that really do not want animal products anywhere near them, almost all cars have leather steering wheels here in the UK. Most medication also has animal products in them, how do you avoid these?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

For milk, there is almond milk, rice milk, and coconut milk, and soy milk, amongst others. Try more than 1 until you find your favourite. Consider one with calcium (check the packets), as calcium can be low on a vegan diet. If you don't know where to find them let us know what country you are in and maybe someone living in that country can help you. I personally find the quality on a par with animal milk, however sometimes I've paid double the price or something like that so keep that in mind. I actually eat cereal without milk. Have you tried that? Or just use the milk more sparingly if it does work out more expensive. Overall, I think you'll find that milk is less of an issue than you think!

Vegan cheeses are not as good in taste. Violife is the best one I've tried so far. You can get that in a number of countries now. Still, it's a taste similar or worse to the best animal cheese at a much higher price. Still, better than the intense cruelty of the daily industry. I am talking about cheese in general here. I don't know about a replacement for your specific type of cheese though.

I suggest you make double portions of stuff for dinner and then make a packed lunch for the next day to minimize on buying when you are out, and having to put up with junk food or limited vegan options. Even if you only bother to do this 1-2 times per week it will still be helpful and make a nice changeup.

I made this list of vegan meals I eat a while back. Keep in mind this is for super simple stuff. If you have time to do proper recipes you can do even better.

Breakfast
Mushroom + tomato + toast/bread
Fruit
Cereal

Lunch/Dinner
Pasta + veg + peppers
Rice + veg
Soy/lentil Burger + chips
Black bean burrito/tacos (I like sweetcorn in mind, or rice, or lettuce, avocado, tomata etc) + salad
Jacket potato + whatever you like
Vegetable lasagna
Sandwiches: vegan cheese with either tomato, onion or lettuce
#3 Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill104 View Post

For those that really do not want animal products anywhere near them, almost all cars have leather steering wheels here in the UK. Most medication also has animal products in them, how do you avoid these?
I don't know much about either issue but I think some cars can be had without leather but finding a car without even the tiniest trace of animal product may not be realistic given the very complex supply chain and the many different companies supplying parts. One option is to buy the oldest or smallest car possible to mimimize demand for new cars, this would also have a benefit in terms of carbon emissions and other environmental issues.

It may be possible to just take what medication you need. Some vegans do, or at least don't condemn it in others.

#4 Old 09-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill104 View Post
All you can do is your best, if a product isn't vegan but you absolutely can't avoid it just do your best to avoid animal products in other areas of your life. It can be easy to get caught up in the little details but as long as you're making progress in the right direction it's worth celebrating. Going vegan is a learning process for everyone.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I was just interested how other people think about these things. Some seem to go way ott taking anything as a personal attack, such as a colleague refusing to get in my car as it had leather steering wheel and gear knob.

I’ve been as I said, veggie for a long time now and have found over the years people do not understand why. Nor do many understand what vegetarians actually eat. But it is only fish is a statement I often hear in restaurants. I also find that if I am with my wife, who is a meat eater, that when orders arrive the meat almost always gets put in front of me and the veggie option gets served to her. Seems sexist assumptions still exist to a high level.

On the rare occasions I do get hijacked by a bit of errant meat hidden in my meal I find I have a physical reaction. My skin goes blotchy, my temperature rises and in bad cases I am sick. I know it is not psychosomatic as it happens whether I realise during eating or not there is a meat product in my food. I spoke to a doctor about it and he thinks that looking at my notes I may have always had a protein intolerance to some extent which has become exaggerated by my abstinence. Maybe unknowingly it is one of the reasons I became veggie in the first place, and the conscious objection developed with time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page