Starving Vegan - Out of Meal Ideas! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning

#1 Old 08-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Lightbulb Starving Vegan - Out of Meal Ideas!

Well, my title pretty much says it. I recently transitioned to nearly vegan (I love honey) and it seems like the only menu ideas I could come up with were Asian (stir fry, curry) and maybe spaghetti. Oh, I did make some great homemade veggie patties too. The thing is I am not a dainty little thing. I am 6'1" and around 250 lbs. My food choices have been great and I use the USDA SuperTracker tool to help me monitor what I eat but sometimes it feels as though I am eating all day and only getting to around 1800 calories (I need need nearly 3000 to keep losing weight). I do not want to become bored nor do I want my kids to do the same. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_disciple View Post
Well, my title pretty much says it. I recently transitioned to nearly vegan (I love honey) and it seems like the only menu ideas I could come up with were Asian (stir fry, curry) and maybe spaghetti. Oh, I did make some great homemade veggie patties too. The thing is I am not a dainty little thing. I am 6'1" and around 250 lbs. My food choices have been great and I use the USDA SuperTracker tool to help me monitor what I eat but sometimes it feels as though I am eating all day and only getting to around 1800 calories (I need need nearly 3000 to keep losing weight). I do not want to become bored nor do I want my kids to do the same. Any help is appreciated.
Hi veggie_disciple,

An easier way to bring in those calories is to include more nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and other calorie-dense foods in your diet. One cup of nuts contains 650-1000 calories (depending on which type of nuts).

Stir fry dishes and spaghetti are great. So are burritos (with beans, corn, thinly-chopped celery, avocado and lots of salsa inside), lentil-and-greens soups (very popular in Portuguese cooking), and boiled potatoes with ketchup. Oatmeal is good at any meal. You can add well-mashed tofu to spaghetti sauce or to oatmeal, to increase the protein and mineral content.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Look ma! No hooves!

Don't forget about seitan! So easy to make, and make taste like whatever you want! Google seitan and whatever kind of food you want to make with it. Try to look for recipes of seitan that involve wrapping in foil and baking, as it is easier for a beginner to deal with. Also note: Seitan isn't something to be eaten daily, it is based off of gluten isolate, so it isn't a whole food. Also, it is mostly protein, so try to eat a lot of food with a lot of fiber in them with your seitan, otherwise pooping will be a bit difficult the next day.

Try:
seitan Mexican recipes
seitan BBQ recipes
seitan Swedish meatball recipes
etc etc etc
Mr. H. likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.

#4 Old 08-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Well, i have the opposite problem. i have to really watch what I eat or else i gain weight.
but i recommend fruit smoothies, peanut butter sandwiches, oatmeal muffins, chili, pasta, buritoes, stir frys, and soups and stews.

Lately I have become a watcher of vegan you tubers. the ones who cook. and the ones who do the "What I Ate Today" or "what i eat in a day" videos. Several of them eat 3000 calories a day.
Go to YouTube and use the following search terms, "Vegan" " 3000 calories" and "What I Ate Today" or "what i eat in a day"
I'm sorry I can't recommend any of them to you. I stick mostly to the under 1600 calorie reports.
oh i suppose you could do one of mine - and just double everything
#5 Old 08-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

When I first went vegan this was one of my favourite threads and it still is: http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...ion-2-0-a.html

There are literally thousands of meal ideas from real life vegans there, I often had trouble imagining what I could eat when I transitioned too but this thread plus just browsing Pinterest and various vegan sites gave me a lot of inspiration. Hope that helps!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
Well, i have the opposite problem. i have to really watch what I eat or else i gain weight.
but i recommend fruit smoothies, peanut butter sandwiches, oatmeal muffins, chili, pasta, buritoes, stir frys, and soups and stews.

Lately I have become a watcher of vegan you tubers. the ones who cook. and the ones who do the "What I Ate Today" or "what i eat in a day" videos. Several of them eat 3000 calories a day.
Go to YouTube and use the following search terms, "Vegan" " 3000 calories" and "What I Ate Today" or "what i eat in a day"
I'm sorry I can't recommend any of them to you. I stick mostly to the under 1600 calorie reports.
oh i suppose you could do one of mine - and just double everything
I'm finally starting to get into a good routine. During the weekend, I do a lot of meal prep. Right now, I have a falafel mix, wonton mix, quinoa salad and three spreads - hummus, muhammara, and baba ganoush. Learning how to use grains is proving to be a bit of a challenge but I'm on the learning curve. I'm also starting to find a few products for those days when I just don't have any energy left because, although I really love to cook, I spend a LOT more time in the kitchen as a vegan so I am grateful to gardein and morning star. I will look into those Youtubers though - that could be a great resource.
#7 Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 PM

There are literally thousands of meal ideas from real life vegans there, I often had trouble imagining what I could eat when I transitioned too but this thread plus just browsing Pinterest and various vegan sites gave me a lot of inspiration. Hope that helps![/quote]

I will definitely check out Pinterest - you aren't the first to suggest that to me.
#8 Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM

I like to keep things simple myself, which helps me to stick to being vegan, not that I have had any issues sticking to it going on 5 months now.

One meal per day is usually oatmeal or some oat based cereal with almond milk and fruit.

Other meals I'll eat something with grains in it like brown rice or pasta, and also try to get in veggies and fruit.

When I feel like having some variety, I'll see what they have at work (sometimes they have vegan options). Or use Gardein or other meat substitute products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page