I'm going veggie, my fiance is not. - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 AM

I'm going veggie, my fiance is not.

I've decided to transition into vegetarianism, but my fiance hates vegetables! What can I do to go veggie, but still make things that both of us like? I almost have to hide vegetables in dishes so he doesn't know they're there. There are few veggies he will eat. Help!

EDIT: I meant to post this in the transitioning to vegetarianism forum. How can I move this?

Last edited by cassafrass; 07-25-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: thread needs moved to transitioning to vegetarianism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM

My husband used to say he disliked vegetables and fruits, and he has now been 100% vegetarian and 98% vegan for close to 4.5 years. I just explained how important this was to me and asked him to watch Vegucated, which led him to recognize that there is no justification for eating animals.

One thing about meat-eating is that when vegetables are served with a side of meat, they don't taste very good. The meat overpowers everything. In a vegan dish, on the other hand, vegetables get to shine on their own terms. When you switch to a vegan diet, you find that vegetables taste better and better over time. After a few years, your tastes shift so much that things meat-eaters find delicious seem heavy and tasteless.

Try looking into Middle-Eastern cuisines. They have delicious vegan dishes like tabouli, hummus, baba ghanoush, bean salad, fried eggplant, and stuffed green peppers (the vegan kind made with olive oil). There is something magical about the combination of vegetables like green bell peppers and tomatoes with herbs, olive oil and lemon juice. Indian and Chinese cuisines also have many tasty vegan and vegetarian dishes.

(I know you said vegetarian and not vegan, but I know more about veganism than about ovo-lacto vegetarianism, and just because you're an ovo-lacto vegetarian doesn't mean you can't eat vegan some of the time.)

Finally, I don't want to make any assumptions, and I fully acknowledge that you never said this is the case, but in case your fiance is pressuring you to cook animals for him, it might be a good idea to think about how disrespectful and even cruel it is to ask a vegetarian to handle the bodies of dead animals. I've known three couples where the woman was vegetarian and the man a meat-eater, but they all ate vegetarian at home. If your fiance refuses to eat vegetables, maybe he should consider doing his own cooking.
#3 Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM

I forgot to say, congratulations on your decision to become a vegetarian!

#4 Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 PM

At first my family was wary about my vegetarianism-- they thought it would be too difficult to deal with!
BUT it is actually NOT AT ALL. You going vegetarian means that your fiancee gets to eat a whole package of bacon and not have to share. So what if they have to cook for themselves sometimes?

ALSO: Being vegetarian does not mean only eating veggies. There are so many options, especially because there is more freedom in vegetarianism than veganism. Tofu can be prepared a million ways. And-- shocker!-- some companies make some darn good fake meat. I really recommend MorningStar Farms products. They are always delicious and my carnivorous brothers are always stealing my vegetarian sausage patties.

Think of this as a great bonding activity. Sit down with your fiancee and look up recipes. Visit the store together. Plan meals and visit vegetarian restaurants and find out what suits both of you! They can still eat meat-- a shrimp cocktail salad for him can be a tofu cocktail salad for you.
#5 Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks! It's kind of funny because after I posted this I was on my way to work (he rode with me) and, without prompting, he told me he wants to start eating healthier. I think it will be a lot easier than I thought to get him to start eating more vegetables. As for the ovo-lacto vegetarian thing... I don't really like cow's milk (I prefer almond milk over any other kind) and don't eat eggs but maybe a couple of times a year anyway, so I'll probably just cut those out. I'm so excited that I'm starting this journey! I've found so many recipes that I want to try. YAY!
#6 Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikamon View Post
At first my family was wary about my vegetarianism-- they thought it would be too difficult to deal with!
BUT it is actually NOT AT ALL. You going vegetarian means that your fiancee gets to eat a whole package of bacon and not have to share. So what if they have to cook for themselves sometimes?

ALSO: Being vegetarian does not mean only eating veggies. There are so many options, especially because there is more freedom in vegetarianism than veganism. Tofu can be prepared a million ways. And-- shocker!-- some companies make some darn good fake meat. I really recommend MorningStar Farms products. They are always delicious and my carnivorous brothers are always stealing my vegetarian sausage patties.

Think of this as a great bonding activity. Sit down with your fiancee and look up recipes. Visit the store together. Plan meals and visit vegetarian restaurants and find out what suits both of you! They can still eat meat-- a shrimp cocktail salad for him can be a tofu cocktail salad for you.
Are boca burgers morning star brand? I liked them when I tried them in my early 20s.
#7 Old 07-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Boca is the brand- they have both vegan vegetarian foods, as does Morningstar brand.
Boca burgers are vegan, Morningstar has both a vegan burger as well as one with egg. Gardeien has a beefless burger I like better.
Beyond Meat-! The holy grail of burgers! Fresh plant based burger that could, as has, fooled omnivores in taste tests. For some weird reason things that are 'like' beef don't gross me out, but faux chicken really does. I loved that burger! It is pricey, so it's like a replacement for going out.

Morningstar also has BBQ riblets (vegan)
Boca has chik'n patties (vegan) both reg and spicy. Reg are good sliced in salads warm
Gardein has a variety of vegan foods. I particularly like their fishless fillets, without ever being a fan of fish.
Field Roast has good sausage options, and the only vegan frankfurter I would want to eat.
Tofurky sausage - I will get the Italian for pasta dishes. Crazy enough I would make pasta with just veggies as an omni but like it with Tofurky since going veg
Beyond Meat beefy crumbles were delicious in a lasagna. Need to be sauteed first

We should have a product review for this

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Boca is the brand- they have both vegan vegetarian foods, as does Morningstar brand.
Boca burgers are vegan, Morningstar has both a vegan burger as well as one with egg. Gardeien has a beefless burger I like better.
Beyond Meat-! The holy grail of burgers! Fresh plant based burger that could, as has, fooled omnivores in taste tests. For some weird reason things that are 'like' beef don't gross me out, but faux chicken really does. I loved that burger! It is pricey, so it's like a replacement for going out.

Morningstar also has BBQ riblets (vegan)
Boca has chik'n patties (vegan) both reg and spicy. Reg are good sliced in salads warm
Gardein has a variety of vegan foods. I particularly like their fishless fillets, without ever being a fan of fish.
Field Roast has good sausage options, and the only vegan frankfurter I would want to eat.
Tofurky sausage - I will get the Italian for pasta dishes. Crazy enough I would make pasta with just veggies as an omni but like it with Tofurky since going veg
Beyond Meat beefy crumbles were delicious in a lasagna. Need to be sauteed first

We should have a product review for this
Oh, that all sounds really good. I'm going to have to look for those fishless fillets. My fiance and I love fish sandwiches, so this should be a nice alternative with some soy cheese ... yum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page