I would like to go raw vegan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By saralguinn

#1 Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Smile I would like to go raw vegan

I am 17 and I am a girl. When I was 15 I went vegetarian, but I had no support from anywhere, not a single vegetarian that I knew, I was the only one. After 7 months of being lacto-ovo and then later pesco, I gave up. Now I want to go raw, I simply got inspired by a few people out there who just seem to be good examples of raw food eaters. I have bought multivitamins, vitamin b12 and I have watched a lot of healthy eating documentary movies as well as I have read a lot of articles and I used a site showing the nutrition and calories in my food. So right now know what I want and what to do, but it will cost more and my family can't afford to buy me food for 5$+ everyday and also they are not supportive of this choice of mine and they think it's too restrictive, but I want to do this because I want to be as healthy as possible and look and feel as good as possible. There were a few days when I ate mostly raw fruits and veggies and I felt much more energised, but I can't afford to buy food like this everyday so right now I am thinking about making money online to have at least 5$/day, I have a very strong desire and this has been my passion for quite some time. I would like to ask you /to the raw vegans/ a few specific questions: Are oats sold in grocery stores raw/fine, rolled/? I can't live without them. Also, is processed stevia from the store raw or not and should I grow my own? Can I eat rice somehow? Can I eat corn raw somehow? What about other foods? What can I and what can I not eat in a raw form? Sorry for all these questions and if I have wasted your time, but it is important to me and I would be very grateful if someone could answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM

I'm not raw or a vegan but just an observation-the energy increase is most likely due to the sugar from the fruit you're eating and not so much a a raw vs cooked thing. I'm switching to a mostly whole foods, plant based diet (mix of cooked and raw) and my energy has gone way up-because I'm now eating a lot of fruit ie. sugar. I consume way more sugar now, than what I was as a meat eater/eating a SAD diet.

~*Sara*~
Experimenting with a whole foods, plant base diet, (with a few Oreos and chili cheese Fritos thrown in here and there
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
#3 Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayana View Post
I am 17 and I am a girl. When I was 15 I went vegetarian, but I had no support from anywhere, not a single vegetarian that I knew, I was the only one. After 7 months of being lacto-ovo and then later pesco, I gave up. Now I want to go raw, I simply got inspired by a few people out there who just seem to be good examples of raw food eaters. I have bought multivitamins, vitamin b12 and I have watched a lot of healthy eating documentary movies as well as I have read a lot of articles and I used a site showing the nutrition and calories in my food. So right now know what I want and what to do, but it will cost more and my family can't afford to buy me food for 5$+ everyday and also they are not supportive of this choice of mine and they think it's too restrictive, but I want to do this because I want to be as healthy as possible and look and feel as good as possible. There were a few days when I ate mostly raw fruits and veggies and I felt much more energised, but I can't afford to buy food like this everyday so right now I am thinking about making money online to have at least 5$/day, I have a very strong desire and this has been my passion for quite some time. I would like to ask you /to the raw vegans/ a few specific questions: Are oats sold in grocery stores raw/fine, rolled/? I can't live without them. Also, is processed stevia from the store raw or not and should I grow my own? Can I eat rice somehow? Can I eat corn raw somehow? What about other foods? What can I and what can I not eat in a raw form? Sorry for all these questions and if I have wasted your time, but it is important to me and I would be very grateful if someone could answer

Hi Trayana,

A reputable book about raw vegan nutrition is Becoming Raw, by long-time Registered Dietitians Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina: https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Raw-.../dp/1570672385 . If your local public library doesn't carry this book, they can get it for you through an "inter-library loan". This service should cost no more than $3.

I would strongly discourage you from other books and websites on the topic of raw veganism - there's a lot of misinformation out there. In particular, the very popular "Fully Raw Kristina" should be avoided. She claims that vegans don't need to supplement with vitamin B12, and she claims that cooked foods are harmful. "Freelee the Banana Girl" and Dr. Douglas Graham also offer bad advice. Freelee claims that if a woman loses her period, that it is a sign of health. Dr. Graham claims that vegans don't need to take vitamin B12, and that grains are unhealthy.

I haven't personally found any peer-reviewed studies showing that raw vegan diets are better than mixed cook/raw vegan diets. Mixed cook/raw vegan diets do tend to be less expensive than raw diets.

This website provides practical, detailed information about vegan nutrition and living: http://www.chooseveg.com/buildameal
Spudulika and BlueMts like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 06-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.

#4 Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 PM

I don't think raw vegan diets are better than vegan ones. If you wanna go raw carry on. Stay healthy
silva likes this.

-sara-
#5 Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM

I would suggest you to eat raw 2 meals out of 3 (you can try for instance, the 'raw till 4' method). This way you can reduce your expenses and then gradually decrease your intake of cook food if you want to go fully raw.
If you're vegetarian, you should try eating vegan by slowly decreasing dairy and eggs at first and then trying raw food.
My point is, don't try to completely change your diet overnight because you're more likely to feel frustrated. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page