• 1 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 1 Post By MandiSoup42
  • 1 Post By Anita Joyce

#1 Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

"I Want to Go Vegan, but I’m Addicted to Cheese... Help!"

Quote:
In high school I picked up a video about factory farming and the extreme cruelty and neglect faced by animals so that we can eat them. I immediately swore off meat.

Not too long after that, I started to learn about the inherent cruelty in dairy and eggs and really wanted to ditch all animal products. And I did... except for cheese. I was in love with cheese, and I couldn’t imagine life without it.

And you know what? I gave it up anyway and I don’t miss it. After seven years of vegan eating, I’ve figured out a thing or two about leaving cheese behind for good.
Read the tips for ditching dairy here: http://www.chooseveg.com/i-want-to-g...cted-to-cheese

We got you.
Spudulika and Riuma like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Alternatively, you can arrange a trip to the moon with NASA to get some of the cheese that it's made of. It may not be healthy, but there's no ethical problems with moon cheese, and no environmental problems if you don't get too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers,
Riuma

Copyright to this Riuma. All rights reserved.
#3 Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Nice picture and useful tips.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

#4 Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 AM

Seriously, I think it's something you just gotta get over. For me none of the "vegan cheeses" are very close. But you can try 'em on pizza if you like, as a substitute.

The only real thing I would suggest is peanut butter. In many dishes it adds a creaminess that to me is a bit like cheese.

(I'm probably a neurotically sensitive person, but just thinking of the veal industry cures me of any hankering for dairy.)

Edit: LOL I totally misread as it as being OP. Anyway, what I wrote above stands for someone with issue of giving up cheese:P

Last edited by APhilosophicalGent; 06-12-2017 at 03:55 AM.
#5 Old 06-13-2017, 08:19 AM

I find going without cheese to be way easier than I thought. Avocado is good, it mimics the creamy texture. But overall, I don't really miss it much.

It really helps when every time you think about adding some cheese just remember how cows are raped, their children stolen, and their milk stolen from them. Think about the fact that you are drinking another animal's milk, it's just unnatural.
Werewolf Girl and Cupcake_182 like this.

'Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.' -Neale Donald Walsch
#6 Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felpel91 View Post
I find going without cheese to be way easier than I thought. Avocado is good, it mimics the creamy texture. But overall, I don't really miss it much.

It really helps when every time you think about adding some cheese just remember how cows are raped, their children stolen, and their milk stolen from them. Think about the fact that you are drinking another animal's milk, it's just unnatural.
Yup, that does it for me...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 AM
adapt. evolve. become

The thing that helped me was just marking it down on a calendar if I had cheese or not. Since I never wanted to put down that I ate an animal product, I never did. It can be tough at first, but easy once you get the hang of it. Now I find it weird that I stayed vegetarian for 3 years because of cravings.
BlueMts likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#8 Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM

I have the same struggle!!!!!!!!!!! I have adapted some good recipes for vegan mac n cheese. I also like Chau brand cheese slices above other brands. Daiya melts pretty good too. I have found however the more time goes by without cheese the less I have craved it. Best to you!
#9 Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Emma JC

I also find that a drizzle of tahini solves the 'missing cheese' issue, especially on chili or nice bean soups.

Emma JC
jaskins and Werewolf Girl like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)

Find a

#10 Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Olives
For everyone out there wishing nooch tasted like cheese- give it time, don't give up on it, it took me quite some time and now I can mix it with lemon, miso, vegan mayo, vegan buttah, and it tastes quite like cheesiness.
Now I like Daiya blocks better than real cheese--and probably shouldn't.
jaskins and Werewolf Girl like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Emma JC

yup - nooch (nutritional yeast) rocks and is a staple in our household!

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)

Find a

#12 Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM

This morning I drove to three stores near where I live to see if they carried Chao slices, which seems to be quite popular and recommended by a few on this forum. None of them carried the brand, despite the Chao website saying these stores carried it.

Disappointed, I stopped by a local Ralphs grocery store and decided to try "Follow Your Heart" American style cheese. I never heard of this company before but apparently they've been around since the early 70's, long before veganism became part of the American conscious.

I had some this morning and I have to say it tastes pretty darned good! It simulates the taste and texture of regular American cheese very closely (that nice salty tang). I'll stick with this brand for now!

http://followyourheart.com/products/american-style/
#13 Old 07-29-2017, 07:24 AM

We're two weeks into our plant based diet. I love cheese and gravy! I finally made this recipe last night and it's awesome! It filled both my cravings. No need to press it through a chinos, the texture was perfect in our vitamin. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...-food-lab.html
#14 Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 AM

I feel you! Had same issue and the more disciplined I got with it the less the cravings for it. Vegan cheese subs help from time to time if the cravings get bad but I prefer some whole food plant based mac n cheese recipes over the fake cheese.
#15 Old 09-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma JC View Post
I also find that a drizzle of tahini solves the 'missing cheese' issue, especially on chili or nice bean soups.

Emma JC
I've been putting tahini on EVERYTHING lately, it's so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page