high-calorie foods? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM

high-calorie foods?

hi!

it's been two days since i went cold-turkey vegan. i'm a senior in high school and am still living with my parents, so i rely on them for groceries. we haven't been shopping for a while so i've been sustaining myself with a combination of fruits and nuts.
i've been pretty hungry and a little lightheaded, which i think is because i'm not eating enough. when i do go shopping next, what high-calorie vegan foods would you recommend? preferably foods that last a while, as we don't go shopping often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Fruit is extremely low in calories, so yes, unless you are eating a huge amount of nuts daily, you are definitely not eating enough.

Eat some pasta, rice, or potatoes with lunch and dinner, and you should feel better.
Not that high calorie, but it's a good food (nutrient profile wise) and lasts long --beans. Oats.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 04-19-2017 at 03:54 PM.
#3 Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Demers View Post
hi!

it's been two days since i went cold-turkey vegan. i'm a senior in high school and am still living with my parents, so i rely on them for groceries. we haven't been shopping for a while so i've been sustaining myself with a combination of fruits and nuts.
i've been pretty hungry and a little lightheaded, which i think is because i'm not eating enough. when i do go shopping next, what high-calorie vegan foods would you recommend? preferably foods that last a while, as we don't go shopping often.

Hi Will,

Here is a daily calorie-needs estimator: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/itt-20084941

Calorie-content of food types:

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

One cup of (already) boiled beans contains about 240 calories

One cup of pasta or grains contains about 190 calories

One tablespoon of peanut butter contains about 100 calories

One cup of fresh fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories

_________
"Users tend to aggregate in communities of interest, which causes reinforcement and fosters confirmation bias, segregation, and polarization. This comes at the expense of the quality of the information and leads to proliferation of biased narratives fomented by unsubstantiated rumors, mistrust, and paranoia."

- "The Spreading of Misinformation Online", from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, December 2015

#4 Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Will,

Here is a daily calorie-needs estimator: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/itt-20084941

Calorie-content of food types:

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 650-1000 calories

One cup of (already) boiled beans contains about 240 calories

One cup of pasta or grains contains about 190 calories

One tablespoon of peanut butter contains about 100 calories

One cup of fresh fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories
That calculator seems to give terrible numbers.
I entered my husband's stats (he's 6 ft), and the "I want to lose weight" goal, and it gave only 1400 calories. That is crazy low.
I also put the "maintain weight goal" with "lightly active", and it automatically jumps to 2600, which I know for a fact makes him gain weight.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#5 Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

nuts definately
maybe avocados
grains like bread/rice/pasta and legumes like beans/lentils/soy quite a bit don't rely on fruit/veg/salad
#6 Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Canny Lass-a

There's something that a high school student could easily make that has more calories (you may already have some of the ingredients). I adapted this recipe from PETA things to do with ramen, but added some things.

You can start with cheap ramen and throw the "soup packet" away or ask your parents to buy you some Lotus Foods Rice Ramen. ..I suggest the one made with amaranth, in the orange pack, you can buy the big size at Costco. It's plain and has more nutrition.

Boil with minimal amount of water, or boil with normal amount of water and drain all but a tablespoon or two of the hot water.

Then, stir in two big spoonfuls of peanut butter (or almond butter)...this is very calorie, protein and "good fat" dense.

Add soy sauce or liquid aminos, fresh lime juice or bottled lemon juice works as well, and Sriracha to taste. I have also started adding a little sesame oil which gives it a real balanced authentic Asian flavor (and adds more calories!)

Other suggestions: beans or tofu with brown rice or quinoa is substantial and you can add veggies, oils, and/or sauces to your liking. Burritos with beans, rice and guacamole will give you more calories and complete protein. Oatmeal with soy milk or almond milk (pea protein milk is a thing now too).

As well as asking your mom and dad to spring for Gardein frozen entree vegan "meats" like BBQ or sweet and sour nuggets or fishless sticks, and original Boca burgers are vegan and are great with pickles, onion, tomato or ketchup and mustard, you can add vegan cheese or vegan mayo.

In the meantime see if you can make the ramen dish or find some peas or beans to eat with rice, pasta or toast in your kitchen.

Thalassa4, Re-registered
#7 Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 AM
Vegan since February 2011

Peanut butter is relatively cheap (try to pick one with just peanuts) and versatile. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are very filling and delicious! You can also make a stir fry sauce with peanut butter, rice or cider vinegar, pinch of soy sauce, ginger powder, dilute with a little water, and heat all in a pan to get a creamy sauce. I use this sauce over tofu/rice/veggie dishes or chickpeas instead of the tofu. Sometimes for a snack on the trail or when I am gone all day, I'll just add a dollup of peanut butter to a whole wheat tortilla and eat it that way.

Or how about spaghetti with some canned black beans and a good tomato sauce? I like to cook red lentils separately (they cook very quickly) and add them to the tomato sauce along with some bell peppers and zucchini, then mix everything together with the spaghetti. VERY filling.

If you're into commercial cold cereals for breakfast, or other products, there are several vegan ones that can be found in some grocery stores:
https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/food-preference/vegan
http://barbaras.com/commitment/speci...y-needs/vegan/
http://shop.naturespath.com/Vegan/c/NaturesPath@Vegan

There are also a variety of plant milks, some full fat, others unsweetened. If you want to increase calories, go with full fat.

Like others, I love oatmeal because you can add just about anything to it for a meal. I tend to eat two cups cooked instead of the recommended serving of one cup cooked. I also add stuff like berries or banana or chopped walnut etc.

For breads, some vegan ones I am aware of include: Dave's Killer Bread, Food for Life or Ezekiel bread (freezer section), Rudi's organic bakery bread (not all their breads are vegan due to honey, but some are such as the flax bread or whole wheat), Stacey's organic whole wheat tortillas, some of Thomas brand bagels.

Also, if you can find a vegan mayo such as Just Mayo or Veganaise, this is a great staple to have around. My partner loves pasta salad made with macaroni, chopped celery, chopped onion, frozen thawed peas, and chickpeas, and mix in some vegan mayo and add black pepper spice for a cold pasta salad. I'll make a huge batch and he eats it for dinner and lunches on the go. It keeps for several days in the refrigerator.
Thalassa likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Canny Lass-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Peanut butter is relatively cheap (try to pick one with just peanuts) and versatile. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are very filling and delicious! You can also make a stir fry sauce with peanut butter, rice or cider vinegar, pinch of soy sauce, ginger powder, dilute with a little water, and heat all in a pan to get a creamy sauce. I use this sauce over tofu/rice/veggie dishes or chickpeas instead of the tofu. Sometimes for a snack on the trail or when I am gone all day, I'll just add a dollup of peanut butter to a whole wheat tortilla and eat it that way.

Or how about spaghetti with some canned black beans and a good tomato sauce? I like to cook red lentils separately (they cook very quickly) and add them to the tomato sauce along with some bell peppers and zucchini, then mix everything together with the spaghetti. VERY filling.

If you're into commercial cold cereals for breakfast, or other products, there are several vegan ones that can be found in some grocery stores:
https://www.kashi.com/our-foods/food-preference/vegan
http://barbaras.com/commitment/speci...y-needs/vegan/
http://shop.naturespath.com/Vegan/c/NaturesPath@Vegan

There are also a variety of plant milks, some full fat, others unsweetened. If you want to increase calories, go with full fat.

Like others, I love oatmeal because you can add just about anything to it for a meal. I tend to eat two cups cooked instead of the recommended serving of one cup cooked. I also add stuff like berries or banana or chopped walnut etc.

For breads, some vegan ones I am aware of include: Dave's Killer Bread, Food for Life or Ezekiel bread (freezer section), Rudi's organic bakery bread (not all their breads are vegan due to honey, but some are such as the flax bread or whole wheat), Stacey's organic whole wheat tortillas, some of Thomas brand bagels.

Also, if you can find a vegan mayo such as Just Mayo or Veganaise, this is a great staple to have around. My partner loves pasta salad made with macaroni, chopped celery, chopped onion, frozen thawed peas, and chickpeas, and mix in some vegan mayo and add black pepper spice for a cold pasta salad. I'll make a huge batch and he eats it for dinner and lunches on the go. It keeps for several days in the refrigerator.
Hey thanks for the macaroni salad recipe!

I like Ezekiel Bread too. It's a complete protein on its own, it's kosher (the OP is apparently converting to Judaism) and the cinnamon raisin English muffins are perfect for breakfast or a snack. He could eat them with vegan margarine or add nut butter if he wanted something very filling. They're just fine plain, too!

Thalassa4, Re-registered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page