VeggieBoards banner

Vitamin B12

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Symondezyn 
#1 ·
If you want to go totally vegan, then it is very important for you to remember that your body will still be in need of vitamin B12, suitable sources of which are not found in fruits and vegetables. A vitamin B12 deficiency will eventually leave you with an anemic blood count. You don't want this to happen to you because an anemic blood count can cause permanent neurologic damage. Anyway, I highly recommend that all new vegans learn all they can about this vitamin.

#2 · (Edited)
Vitamin B12 is important, but it's easy and cheap to get. Your local pharmacy carries vitamin B12 supplements in the vitamin aisle, or you can order them through Amazon.com. Vitamin B12 tablets are cheap - typically less than $2 per month. They are available as fruit-flavored chewable tablets, or as pills that you swallow.

Here are recommendations for how much B12 to take: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

#4 ·
B12 has actually been one of the easier vitamins for me to supplement as a vegan. It's added to a lot of commercial soy milk products, which I use regularly, and supplements are easy to find: I also take a sublingual B complex twice a week as a precaution.

It's actually trickier to find a vegan supplement for D3, as many of them are made of sheep's wool. Additionally, DHA is important for veg*ns, but most are made from fish oil - we have a vegan friendly one made from algae ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.