Meat eater going vegan! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

#1 Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 PM

Thumbs up Meat eater going vegan!

Hi guys,

I decided I was just going to jump fully in and go vegan my goal is to be at least 95% vegan by the end of 2017 (Probably will be done before but I don't want to jump in to fast and get overwhelmed)

I was wondering what tips anyone has, and what was one favorite recipe of yours to make when you first became a vegan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegetarian who eats vegan 95% of the time (occasional cheese in social situations). I tend to have a meat-eater's type taste buds, so if I can do it, anyone can.

I'd say, first, try tempeh. It's the closest thing to meat, in taste and nutrition (including protein), among the more natural plant foods. Tempeh is a fermented soybean cake. It's available at Whole Foods and most upper-end grocery stores. Best recipe: with a sharp knife, slice one of the 8-ounce packages into small pieces, then sautee it in 1.5 tablespoons olive oil with two tablespoons soy sauce (recommend Kikkoman's brand, reduced sodium) until it starts to brown. Serve over white or (preferred) brown rice, garnished liberally with green onions. I also sometimes top it with two tablespoons of hemp seeds.

Second, spaghetti and marina sauce with meatless meatballs. The best brand of meatless meatballs is Gardein.

Third, Amy's Kitchen brand lentil soup (canned) served over wild rice.

Fourth, Beyond Meat makes a veggie burger that tastes almost identical to a real beef burger. They just released it a couple of months ago and it's now available at Whole Foods in most areas of the U.S. It's called the "Beyond Burger." Make sure it's that one. They also have one that's been out for a while, called the "Beast Burger," which is pretty good, but not nearly as good as the Beyond Burger.

Fifth, almonds are a great, high-protein snack. I've found the best tasting are Trader Joe's roasted and lightly salted.

Sixth, hummus is great. I eat mine with matzoh crackers, Manishevitz brand.

Seventh, Gardein makes a faux chicken nugget called "Seven Grain Crispy Tenders" which is delicious, though a bit saltier than ideal. I usually eat mine with angel hair pasta.

Eighth, you can use a faux ground beef (the best is Beyond Meat beefy crumbles) to make tacos or sloppy joe's. I recommend adding some corn starch to thicken it, and a small amount of oil to bolster the fat content.

Ninth, the easiest substitution is switching from cow milk to soy milk. You could also do almond milk, but it's nutritionally deficient, especially when it comes to protein, compared to cow milk or soy milk. Among soy milks, I like the Trader Joe's brand vanilla flavor for pouring over oatmeal. However, for cooking, like in pancakes or cornbread, it's best to use unflavored soy milk.

Those are just some ideas to get you started.

Last edited by Dilettante; 12-30-2016 at 10:19 AM.
#3 Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi becksveggie, try soy/lentil burgers in a bun with salad and chips, it is just feels almost the same as the regular burger and chips, minus the animal suffering.

Instead of plates that have about 3 things separately on the plate, try mixing everything together, for example pasta/noodles/quinoa with peppers and a vegetable.

I found vegetable rather than animal butter easy to find, cheap and tasty.

Vegan cheeses I haven't done as well with. They are either expensive or hard to find here in Chile (usually both) and I get them occassinally but I mostly found I could do without.

Eggs - just don't bother with them, they are a rather intensive form of animal cruelty, and there is nothing you need to replace them with.

Breakfasts - based around toast/bread, cereals, or fruit.
Sandwiches - tomato, avocado, onions. Vegan cheese. (not all together necessarily, just some options to mix with other things).

Good luck. What sort of other tips do you need.
#4 Old 12-30-2016, 04:06 PM

I am finding it is useful to check out vegan cookbooks at the library for inspiration and subscribe to vegan cooking channels on YouTube. But as for my favorite baby vegan recipe, it's Cuban black beans & rice. Here's the one I use: http://foodfordissertating.blogspot....nches-248.html
#5 Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
I'm a vegetarian who eats vegan 95% of the time (occasional cheese in social situations). I tend to have a meat-eater's type taste buds, so if I can do it, anyone can.

I'd say, first, try tempeh. It's the closest thing to meat, in taste and nutrition (including protein), among the more natural plant foods. Tempeh is a fermented soybean cake. It's available at Whole Foods and most upper-end grocery stores. Best recipe: with a sharp knife, slice one of the 8-ounce packages into small pieces, then sautee it in 1.5 tablespoons olive oil with two tablespoons soy sauce (recommend Kikkoman's brand, reduced sodium) until it starts to brown. Serve over white or (preferred) brown rice, garnished liberally with green onions. I also sometimes top it with two tablespoons of hemp seeds.

Second, spaghetti and marina sauce with meatless meatballs. The best brand of meatless meatballs is Gardein.

Third, Amy's Kitchen brand lentil soup (canned) served over wild rice.

Fourth, Beyond Meat makes a veggie burger that tastes almost identical to a real beef burger. They just released it a couple of months ago and it's now available at Whole Foods in most areas of the U.S. It's called the "Beyond Burger." Make sure it's that one. They also have one that's been out for a while, called the "Beast Burger," which is pretty good, but not nearly as good as the Beyond Burger.

Fifth, almonds are a great, high-protein snack. I've found the best tasting are Trader Joe's roasted and lightly salted.

Sixth, hummus is great. I eat mine with matzoh crackers, Manishevitz brand.

Seventh, Gardein makes a faux chicken nugget called "Seven Grain Crispy Tenders" which is delicious, though a bit saltier than ideal. I usually eat mine with angel hair pasta.

Eighth, you can use a faux ground beef (the best is Beyond Meat beefy crumbles) to make tacos or sloppy joe's. I recommend adding some corn starch to thicken it, and a small amount of oil to bolster the fat content.

Ninth, the easiest substitution is switching from cow milk to soy milk. You could also do almond milk, but it's nutritionally deficient, especially when it comes to protein, compared to cow milk or soy milk. Among soy milks, I like the Trader Joe's brand vanilla flavor for pouring over oatmeal. However, for cooking, like in pancakes or cornbread, it's best to use unflavored soy milk.

Those are just some ideas to get you started.

Thank you so much for all the ideas they all sound so good! I live in a small mountain town with only one grocery store though so I am probably unable to get many of these things we do have a small selection of vegan "meat" products thankfully I'm really excited to start this new life style its nice to have somewhere to go and get support too! I feel overwhelmed trying to figure out what things I use already that are vegan and im so thankful to learn that one of my favorite mayo brands just came out with an egg-less mayo hopefully it taste as good
Thalassa likes this.
#6 Old 12-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Hi becksveggie, try soy/lentil burgers in a bun with salad and chips, it is just feels almost the same as the regular burger and chips, minus the animal suffering.

Instead of plates that have about 3 things separately on the plate, try mixing everything together, for example pasta/noodles/quinoa with peppers and a vegetable.

I found vegetable rather than animal butter easy to find, cheap and tasty.

Vegan cheeses I haven't done as well with. They are either expensive or hard to find here in Chile (usually both) and I get them occassinally but I mostly found I could do without.

Eggs - just don't bother with them, they are a rather intensive form of animal cruelty, and there is nothing you need to replace them with.

Breakfasts - based around toast/bread, cereals, or fruit.
Sandwiches - tomato, avocado, onions. Vegan cheese. (not all together necessarily, just some options to mix with other things).

Good luck. What sort of other tips do you need.

Thank you I will differently start mixing things together instead of serving them separate. quinoa intimidates me I'm not sure how to prepare it but I am excited to try it

Cheese for sure not going to happen normal dairy cheese here is 9+ dollars when on sale I don't even want to know how much vegan cheese is! I have been looking at pinterest and found a few "cheese" options like using cashews not sure how that will be but worth a shot?
#7 Old 12-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in a small mountain town with only one grocery store though so I am probably unable to get many of these things we do have a small selection of vegan "meat" products thankfully I'm really excited to start this new life style its nice to have somewhere to go and get support too! I feel overwhelmed trying to figure out what things I use already that are vegan and im so thankful to learn that

A lot of vegan products can be ordered online at http://veganessentials.com. For cold products, they're shipped with ice packs. They are a bit expensive, though.
Thalassa likes this.
#8 Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
I live in a small mountain town with only one grocery store though so I am probably unable to get many of these things we do have a small selection of vegan "meat" products thankfully I'm really excited to start this new life style its nice to have somewhere to go and get support too! I feel overwhelmed trying to figure out what things I use already that are vegan and im so thankful to learn that

A lot of vegan products can be ordered online at (Link). For cold products, they're shipped with ice packs. They are a bit expensive, though.

Thanks! this will be nice to have on hand if I need anything I cant find... but yes they seem to be pretty pricey :/
#9 Old 12-30-2016, 05:41 PM

If you cook, you can try making your own plant-based meat with wheat gluten, which should be easier to get online than some other things, and probably less expensive. I don't know; I'm lucky because I live in a place with a lot of options.
Thalassa likes this.
#10 Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Canny Lass-a

Hi there. Figure out your favorite foods and work from there.

Seitan should be something easier to find or make at home, which has a "meaty" texture and is excellent if you serve up browned pieces simmered in sautéed onion, a bit of dry red wine and mushroom gravy. Don't know how to make vegan mushroom gravy yet? Campbell's isn't the most organic or pure vegan gravy, but it's really easy to find since it's a large corporation.

Beans, lentils, peas and quinoa make really accessible proteins. My favorite vegan fast food chain here in privileged California carries a burger made of mushrooms, quinoa and kale, which is super nutritious, and wouldn't be difficult to make at home if you struggle to find brand name vegan burgers. However, Boca original vegan is probably in many mainstream grocery stores, and is simple to prepare by pan frying in oil and served with mustard, ketchup and/or vegan mayo, plus onions, lettuce or spinach, tomato and pickle if you so choose.

Can't find vegan cheese in your small town? Substitute hummus, avacado, or olive oil in various dishes to add healthy fats or a creamier flavor. Avacado is great on burritos and burgers or sandwiches, hummus is excellent on sandwiches or as a chip dip (especially pita chips or plain sun chips),and olive oil can be used with pastas or on sandwiches which have a lot of raw veggies. Vegan margarine (can't find or afford Earth Balance? Try Smart Balance Light instead - easier to find in less vegan friendly places and a dollar or two cheaper) is great on toast, or blended with your pasta and marinara sauce to give it a creamier flavor.

Walnuts, flax and hemp all contain Omega 3s, so make sure to eat walnuts as snacks, or in hot cereals, or big salads...flax can be bought in oil form to mix into cold salad dressing or drizzle on veggies after they are cooked. Hemp is widely available in California, but if you can't find it where you live, order yummy Pacific Vanilla Hemp milk by the crate online.

Fortified soy or almond milks are almost everywhere. Soy provides the best protein but almond is some people's favorite. Silk milks will supplement your calcium and B12.

Green leafy veggies make great sources of calcium, and maybe buy the calcium orange juice if you are slow to pick up green leafies right away. Kale can be blended into sweet smoothies or mixed into homemade veggie burgers to sneak some into your diet. Enjoy broccoli regularly raw with hummus, or with vegan margarine. Look for sauces and pasta which contain extra servings of vegetables. Francisco Rinaldi tomato and basil sauce is vegan and contains omega 3s.

Look for common brands, like Progresso lentil soup, to get you started.

Also, homemade cheesy pasta sauce can be made for mock mac n cheese with nutritional yeast, soy milk, oil or margarine, a bit of all purpose flour, a bit of mustard and a dash of tumeric, with salt n pepper. Ask me for the recipe if you are interested. If that's too weird for you right away, order boxes of Daiya deluxe mac n cheez online, I recommend the one that has the peas and shredded carrots.

7th Day Adventist bookstores (ABC) may be easier for you to find than a fancy vegan shop where you live. If so I recommend the big frank hot dogs (canned but very tasty) drained and browned in oven or broiler, served up like a regular hot dog. I also like their chili with guacamole and black olives added before serving. A lot of 7th Day Adventist faux meats are high in sodium and sometimes not organic, but the hot dogs and chili really taste good and are good sources of protein, as well as usually being fortified with other nutrients.

Also try fortified breakfast cereals with non dairy milk and sliced banana. Just make sure they don't contain milk or gelatin.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fresh fruit, sliced veggies, many potato chips, french fries, whole grain crackers, apple sauce, and many forms of pasta Primavera or angel hair with olive oil, garlic and parsley, may be vegan foods you already enjoy, as are unfrosted, fruit-flavored PopTarts, Oreos and most forms of tortilla chips with salsa and/or guacamole.

Order bean burritos without cheese at Taco Bell or Del Taco. I prefer the green sauce at Del Taco, and at Taco Bell their bean burrito is great with potatoes, guacamole and extra red sauce (of course no cheese, make sure to say that!)

Don't beat yourself up for having a slice of cheese pizza in a social situation or when you don't know what else to eat late at night after hitting the town, just try again next time. It can take some people a while to transition.

Also, there are vegan forms of chocolate out there, just be sure to check the ingredients. Most cheap chocolate isn't vegan, but it's not ethical due to human slavery usually either, so do Internet searches for full lists of ethical chocolate brands. Even Kroger's off brand baking cocoa is more ethical than Hershey.

Thalassa4, Re-registered
#11 Old 12-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksveggie View Post
Hi guys,

I decided I was just going to jump fully in and go vegan my goal is to be at least 95% vegan by the end of 2017 (Probably will be done before but I don't want to jump in to fast and get overwhelmed)

I was wondering what tips anyone has, and what was one favorite recipe of yours to make when you first became a vegan!

Hi Becks,

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide (it's actually vegan): http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf . On page 13, it does a great job of summarizing vegan nutrition. It also has simple meal ideas throughout.

They've also got a website, with even more information: http://www.chooseveg.com

When I first became vegan, a favorite recipe of mine was whole wheat spaghetti, with boiled lentils and marinara sauce. Serve with a nice salad of dark green leafy vegetables.

_________
"A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind, and never to allow passion or a transitory desire to disturb his tranquility. If no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved; Caesar would have spared his country; America would have been discovered more gradually; and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed"

From Frankenstein. Publication year: 1818
#12 Old 12-30-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Hi there. Figure out your favorite foods and work from there.

Seitan should be something easier to find or make at home, which has a "meaty" texture and is excellent if you serve up browned pieces simmered in sautéed onion, a bit of dry red wine and mushroom gravy. Don't know how to make vegan mushroom gravy yet? Campbell's isn't the most organic or pure vegan gravy, but it's really easy to find since it's a large corporation.

Beans, lentils, peas and quinoa make really accessible proteins. My favorite vegan fast food chain here in privileged California carries a burger made of mushrooms, quinoa and kale, which is super nutritious, and wouldn't be difficult to make at home if you struggle to find brand name vegan burgers. However, Boca original vegan is probably in many mainstream grocery stores, and is simple to prepare by pan frying in oil and served with mustard, ketchup and/or vegan mayo, plus onions, lettuce or spinach, tomato and pickle if you so choose.

Can't find vegan cheese in your small town? Substitute hummus, avacado, or olive oil in various dishes to add healthy fats or a creamier flavor. Avacado is great on burritos and burgers or sandwiches, hummus is excellent on sandwiches or as a chip dip (especially pita chips or plain sun chips),and olive oil can be used with pastas or on sandwiches which have a lot of raw veggies. Vegan margarine (can't find or afford Earth Balance? Try Smart Balance Light instead - easier to find in less vegan friendly places and a dollar or two cheaper) is great on toast, or blended with your pasta and marinara sauce to give it a creamier flavor.

Walnuts, flax and hemp all contain Omega 3s, so make sure to eat walnuts as snacks, or in hot cereals, or big salads...flax can be bought in oil form to mix into cold salad dressing or drizzle on veggies after they are cooked. Hemp is widely available in California, but if you can't find it where you live, order yummy Pacific Vanilla Hemp milk by the crate online.

Fortified soy or almond milks are almost everywhere. Soy provides the best protein but almond is some people's favorite. Silk milks will supplement your calcium and B12.

Green leafy veggies make great sources of calcium, and maybe buy the calcium orange juice if you are slow to pick up green leafies right away. Kale can be blended into sweet smoothies or mixed into homemade veggie burgers to sneak some into your diet. Enjoy broccoli regularly raw with hummus, or with vegan margarine. Look for sauces and pasta which contain extra servings of vegetables. Francisco Rinaldi tomato and basil sauce is vegan and contains omega 3s.

Look for common brands, like Progresso lentil soup, to get you started.

Also, homemade cheesy pasta sauce can be made for mock mac n cheese with nutritional yeast, soy milk, oil or margarine, a bit of all purpose flour, a bit of mustard and a dash of tumeric, with salt n pepper. Ask me for the recipe if you are interested. If that's too weird for you right away, order boxes of Daiya deluxe mac n cheez online, I recommend the one that has the peas and shredded carrots.

7th Day Adventist bookstores (ABC) may be easier for you to find than a fancy vegan shop where you live. If so I recommend the big frank hot dogs (canned but very tasty) drained and browned in oven or broiler, served up like a regular hot dog. I also like their chili with guacamole and black olives added before serving. A lot of 7th Day Adventist faux meats are high in sodium and sometimes not organic, but the hot dogs and chili really taste good and are good sources of protein, as well as usually being fortified with other nutrients.

Also try fortified breakfast cereals with non dairy milk and sliced banana. Just make sure they don't contain milk or gelatin.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fresh fruit, sliced veggies, many potato chips, french fries, whole grain crackers, apple sauce, and many forms of pasta Primavera or angel hair with olive oil, garlic and parsley, may be vegan foods you already enjoy, as are unfrosted, fruit-flavored PopTarts, Oreos and most forms of tortilla chips with salsa and/or guacamole.

Order bean burritos without cheese at Taco Bell or Del Taco. I prefer the green sauce at Del Taco, and at Taco Bell their bean burrito is great with potatoes, guacamole and extra red sauce (of course no cheese, make sure to say that!)

Don't beat yourself up for having a slice of cheese pizza in a social situation or when you don't know what else to eat late at night after hitting the town, just try again next time. It can take some people a while to transition.

Also, there are vegan forms of chocolate out there, just be sure to check the ingredients. Most cheap chocolate isn't vegan, but it's not ethical due to human slavery usually either, so do Internet searches for full lists of ethical chocolate brands. Even Kroger's off brand baking cocoa is more ethical than Hershey.

Thank you so much for all the information I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to trying things my husband not so much so I will probably try a lot of this stuff out... I would love to know how to make cheese sauce, I have pinned a few recipes but most call for cashews and its hard for me to get those right now I have to have them shipped in.
Thalassa likes this.
#13 Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hi guys,

Try looking up recipes on pinterest. I love this item https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I use it to make nicecream all the time.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#14 Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quinoa is not hard to prepare but please do google some articles about how to prepare it before starting. You only need about 10 minutes reading online though.
#15 Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherries View Post
Try looking up recipes on pinterest. I love this item https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I use it to make nicecream all the time.
I've been using pinterest like crazy.. I get sad though a bit when I see all the things I pinned before that are in no ways vegan and I'm like "darn I didnt get to try that " and awesome I make frozen banana ice cream in my blender already sometimes adding things like PB or Strawberries to it so I will have to check this out.
cherries likes this.
#16 Old 12-31-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Quinoa is not hard to prepare but please do google some articles about how to prepare it before starting. You only need about 10 minutes reading online though.
Will do
#17 Old 12-31-2016, 02:47 PM
Canny Lass-a

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the information I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to trying things my husband not so much so I will probably try a lot of this stuff out... I would love to know how to make cheese sauce, I have pinned a few recipes but most call for cashews and its hard for me to get those right now I have to have them shipped in.

OK start with 1-2 tbsp of a good oil like olive or canola (I think coconut is too coconut-y) or about a tbsp of vegan butter, and heat in a medium sized pot on medium heat on the stove. Add about a tbsp of all purpose flour, and whisk constantly with a fork as it begins to thicken and brown into a roux. Once you have your roux (it's OK if it's clumpy, as long as it's an even brown and thoroughly mixed) add a cup of unsweetened plain soy milk (can use almond if you prefer it but soy has a creamier and more neutral taste) and stir in 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast flakes (just making sure you know this isn't brewers or baking yeast, not to insult you just pointing out its a critical distinction!)

Allow to simmer and thicken for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add about 1/4 tsp ground tumeric, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/4-1/2 tsp yellow or Dijon mustard (start with the smaller amount and add more if you think it needs it). Then salt and pepper to taste.

I like to serve this with elbow macaroni or penne pasta, just toss and mix like a regular cheese sauce. I also think it's really delicious if it's tossed with cooked broccoli, or if you stir in a handful of fresh spinach leaves in the last few minutes before tossing with your pasta of choice.

I find it to be a satisfying comfort food, and it contains a lot of protein and B12, HOWEVER it does not taste exactly like a processed cheese sauce, and if you or your husband want something more similar, try to start with a box of Daiya deluxe cheezy mac.

Also a word to the wise: vegans tend to enjoy vegan cheese more after they have been off of dairy for a while. I recommend dealing with early cheese cravings by eating unrelated creamy foods like avacado, hummus or olive oil, or eating something with Omega 3s in it, like using a flax oil dressing on vegetables, or adding a tsp of flax oil to Ramen noodles and green beans, drained (Top Ramen Oriental is vegan) after cooking, or eating walnuts in something (or by the handful) as cheese cravings can actually signal a need for Omega 3s, even though there's none in dairy cheese that is significant.
silva likes this.

Thalassa4, Re-registered
#18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
OK start with 1-2 tbsp of a good oil like olive or canola (I think coconut is too coconut-y) or about a tbsp of vegan butter, and heat in a medium sized pot on medium heat on the stove. Add about a tbsp of all purpose flour, and whisk constantly with a fork as it begins to thicken and brown into a roux. Once you have your roux (it's OK if it's clumpy, as long as it's an even brown and thoroughly mixed) add a cup of unsweetened plain soy milk (can use almond if you prefer it but soy has a creamier and more neutral taste) and stir in 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast flakes (just making sure you know this isn't brewers or baking yeast, not to insult you just pointing out its a critical distinction!)

Allow to simmer and thicken for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add about 1/4 tsp ground tumeric, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/4-1/2 tsp yellow or Dijon mustard (start with the smaller amount and add more if you think it needs it). Then salt and pepper to taste.

I like to serve this with elbow macaroni or penne pasta, just toss and mix like a regular cheese sauce. I also think it's really delicious if it's tossed with cooked broccoli, or if you stir in a handful of fresh spinach leaves in the last few minutes before tossing with your pasta of choice.

I find it to be a satisfying comfort food, and it contains a lot of protein and B12, HOWEVER it does not taste exactly like a processed cheese sauce, and if you or your husband want something more similar, try to start with a box of Daiya deluxe cheezy mac.

Also a word to the wise: vegans tend to enjoy vegan cheese more after they have been off of dairy for a while. I recommend dealing with early cheese cravings by eating unrelated creamy foods like avacado, hummus or olive oil, or eating something with Omega 3s in it, like using a flax oil dressing on vegetables, or adding a tsp of flax oil to Ramen noodles and green beans, drained (Top Ramen Oriental is vegan) after cooking, or eating walnuts in something (or by the handful) as cheese cravings can actually signal a need for Omega 3s, even though there's none in dairy cheese that is significant.
awesome thank you so much can't wait to try it out also I wasnt 100% sure what nutritional yeast was so thanks for the side note I was pretty sure it wasnt the same as bread yeast but didn't know I've never heard of it before lol. I posted another post about the Ramen noodles we have in town (Mr. Noodles) with the ingredients on post trying to see if they are vegan... I'm pretty sure the vegetable one is, but I have an iffy ingredient in the Oriental one "Artificial Beef Falvour".
Thalassa likes this.
#19 Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thalassa recipe is like what I do--but I always add about a tablespoon of lemon juice. You can tweak this like crazy!

About nutritional yeast-- only some contain B12! I get Bob's Red Mill usually a couple bags in my big online order. When I ran out last time I went to Whole Foods.Their bulk bin wasn't fortified, their own brand had like a trace of it, and I didn't bother to search the store looking for others. Just check the label. if you don't care for it at first, it is good on popcorn.
Just Mayo is the cheapest vegan mayo found at stores like Walmart and Target. Mix nut. yeast (nooch) with that is really really good.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#20 Old 12-31-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Thalassa recipe is like what I do--but I always add about a tablespoon of lemon juice. You can tweak this like crazy!

About nutritional yeast-- only some contain B12! I get Bob's Red Mill usually a couple bags in my big online order. When I ran out last time I went to Whole Foods.Their bulk bin wasn't fortified, their own brand had like a trace of it, and I didn't bother to search the store looking for others. Just check the label. if you don't care for it at first, it is good on popcorn.
Just Mayo is the cheapest vegan mayo found at stores like Walmart and Target. Mix nut. yeast (nooch) with that is really really good.

good to know! I found hellmens started making a vegan one so I am going to try it since im super picky with mayo already.. hellmens and kraft are the only ones I will ever use so hopefully I like it
#21 Old 12-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Canny Lass-a

Quote:

Kal Nutritional Yeast (in the round can) is great, and Sprouts supermarket has more B12 in its nutritional yeast than Whole Foods.

Thalassa4, Re-registered
#22 Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
good to know! I found hellmens started making a vegan one so I am going to try it since im super picky with mayo already.. hellmens and kraft are the only ones I will ever use so hopefully I like it
LOL! I forgot that! Funny because Hellmans tried to sue the makers of Just Mayo to get them to stop calling it mayo> they first labeled theirs 'carefully crafted sandwich spread". I saw recently they added 'vegan' to the label

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#23 Old 12-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Canny Lass-a

Quote:
LOL! I forgot that! Funny because Hellmans tried to sue the makers of Just Mayo to get them to stop calling it mayo> they first labeled theirs 'carefully crafted sandwich spread". I saw recently they added 'vegan' to the label
It's so disturbing that these big corporations try to legally stomp out competition. Their brand of "capitalism" is actually corporate welfare. I'm glad they lost. I also can't wait to watch renewable energy stomp out fossil fuels.

Thalassa4, Re-registered
#24 Old 12-31-2016, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I've been using pinterest like crazy.. I get sad though a bit when I see all the things I pinned before that are in no ways vegan and I'm like "darn I didnt get to try that " and awesome I make frozen banana ice cream in my blender already sometimes adding things like PB or Strawberries to it so I will have to check this out.
Here's one of my boards https://www.pinterest.com/cherries8705/vegan-food/ Here's another https://www.pinterest.com/cherries8705/rawsomely-foods/

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#25 Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
did they really?!... that's so stupid I am going to start out with it though just because its cheaper, and I'm hoping it will taste close to their original one and maybe in the future I will seek out another brand once I get more into this and my taste changes some.
#26 Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Beginner

You need to start taking a B12 supplement for sure. I just read a PubMed page that says that after looking at 18 different studies, it was determined that on average 62-83% of vegetarian/vegans are deficient in Vitamin B12. Very important that you don't skip the little cruelty free tablet now that you won't be supplementing with 'body parts'. Good luck on your transition and you have lots of good ideas here to get you started.
David3 and becksveggie like this.
#27 Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Plant Powered

Not much to add here, as everyone has already given you loads to start out with! I just wanted to second the sentiment above, regarding vegan cheese: I have tried so many different varieties and brands, and have not yet found one I like (with the exception of Daiya cheddar slices; they're good for grilled sandwiches and burgers). The thing I discovered was that you don't need to necessarily replace cheese with "cheez" - often substituting something else creamy will do just fine. Pizza was the hardest food for me to transition so after attempting multiple times to make it work with commercial and even home made vegan cheese, I finally just started making a creamy dressing that we drizzle over our pizzas (usually takeout). Just mix a bit of vegan mayo, some nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, a bit of plant milk and a touch of vinegar to give it a tang, and you have yourself a nice creamy dressing ^_^
becksveggie likes this.
#28 Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Ankle Biter

My suggestion is go vegan first and then worry about what you're going to eat. Make the commitment and then fill in the details. You'll be fine. There's a lot of food out there that doesn't contain animal products and you'll most likely be both full and healthy. Take the leap!
#29 Old 01-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
Not much to add here, as everyone has already given you loads to start out with! I just wanted to second the sentiment above, regarding vegan cheese: I have tried so many different varieties and brands, and have not yet found one I like (with the exception of Daiya cheddar slices; they're good for grilled sandwiches and burgers). The thing I discovered was that you don't need to necessarily replace cheese with "cheez" - often substituting something else creamy will do just fine. Pizza was the hardest food for me to transition so after attempting multiple times to make it work with commercial and even home made vegan cheese, I finally just started making a creamy dressing that we drizzle over our pizzas (usually takeout). Just mix a bit of vegan mayo, some nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, a bit of plant milk and a touch of vinegar to give it a tang, and you have yourself a nice creamy dressing ^_^
unfortunately I just went shopping last night to pick up some vegan versions of things we have run out of or are almost out of and the only cheese we have that isn't just normal cheese has casein in it so I don't even have the choice for any of the vegan cheeses so I will have to make some creamy sauces and what not for sure.

the plus side we do have a good amount of vegan options thankfully just not in the cheese department lol. I grabbed some Yves Veggie Dogs to try for dinner last night since I didn't feel like cooking anything really just wanted something fast and simple... diffidently something I will have to get used to the texture is really really odd.. flavor isnt to bad but defiantly not what I'm used to lol
#30 Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

unfortunately I just went shopping last night to pick up some vegan versions of things we have run out of or are almost out of and the only cheese we have that isn't just normal cheese has casein in it so I don't even have the choice for any of the vegan cheeses so I will have to make some creamy sauces and what not for sure.

the plus side we do have a good amount of vegan options thankfully just not in the cheese department lol. I grabbed some Yves Veggie Dogs to try for dinner last night since I didn't feel like cooking anything really just wanted something fast and simple... diffidently something I will have to get used to the texture is really really odd.. flavor isnt to bad but defiantly not what I'm used to lol

I rarely eat vegan cheese, because honestly imo they're not that good. Vegan faux meats are better than vegan faux cheeses, I think. However, Field Roast Chao Cheese is pretty good, and as far as I can tell, is the best of the lot. Also, Daiya shreds are fine in tacos, when combined with a bunch of other stuff. I've also heard that Kite Hill is supposedly good, but I haven't tried it.
becksveggie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page