Where to get protein from in a vegan diet? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LauraMcC

#1 Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 AM

Question Where to get protein from in a vegan diet?

I'm allergic to all nuts and seeds, I've recently transitioned to Vegan and I train in the gym 5/7 days. Where can I get a decent amount of protein for my diet and lifestyle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Oryzatarian

Oats and beans.
Oats are richer and more balanced in protein than most people think and they supply carbs, which is turned into glycogen- a muscles fuel reserve. Before the supplement industry confused everyone the old school body builders loved oats.
#3 Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta (Black bean pasta, especially, if you can find it is very high in protein, but even regular pasta has a decent amount), tofu, seitan, pretty much all kinds of beans, lentils, quinoa...

I recommend watching Jon Venus and Brian Turner on YouTube. They're vegan bodybuilders, and post some of what they eat.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-13-2016 at 12:32 PM.

#4 Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMcC View Post
I'm allergic to all nuts and seeds, I've recently transitioned to Vegan and I train in the gym 5/7 days. Where can I get a decent amount of protein for my diet and lifestyle?

Cooked legumes (beans, lentils, and split peas) are very good sources of protein. One cup of boiled legumes typically contains 15 - 18 grams of protein: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TEzMDYwNg.html

Because you are physically active, a more important goal for you is to get enough calories to fuel your exercise. Vegan staple foods (legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables) are low in calories, compared to high-fat meats and dairy. On a low-fat vegan diet, it's possible to eat until you're full, yet still not get enough calories.

In order to boost their calorie intake, many of us vegans add small amounts of high-calorie foods to our diets. Nuts, seeds, coconut, avocados, and oil are examples of these foods. Because you are unable to eat nuts and seeds, avocados and oil might be good choices for you.

When first starting a vegan diet, it can be helpful to do a bit of planning.

Mercy For Animals has a beautifully-illustrated Vegetarian Starter Guide (it's actually vegan): http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf . On page 13, it does a nice job of summarizing vegan nutrition. It also includes lots of easy meal ideas.

This webpage summarizes nutrients that vegans should focus on: http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs

To make sure you're getting enough calories, you can:

1. Use an online calorie calculator (like this one http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...r/itt-20084939 ) to estimate your daily calorie needs. If you are extremely physically active, you might needs even more calories than this calculator predicts. High intensity exercise can burn 1,000 calories per hour.

2. Use this food calorie rule of thumb:

One cup of boiled legumes contains about 230 calories

One cup of boiled grains / pasta contains about 190 calories

One cup of fresh (not dried) fruit contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables contains 5-40 calories

One tablespoon of oil contains 120 calories

One medium avocado contains about 320 calories

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-13-2016 at 12:34 PM.
#5 Old 07-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Thank you so much!!! Definitely giving me foodie ideas
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 07-19-2016, 01:36 AM

You can get enough protein from fruit, vegetable and some beans. In fact people don´t need as much protein as they think. It was written in a book "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell that we need only 10% of protein.
#7 Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 AM

Whole grains, legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan.
#8 Old 07-27-2016, 03:45 PM

I see that the China study has been quoted above. Would like to ad that Dr John Mcdougall advocates a similar percentage of protein in diet. As you workout quite a bit in the gym have a look at Robert Cheeke 's advice, author of Shred It. He recommends a 70% starch and 15% each of protein and fats.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk
#9 Old 07-29-2016, 11:25 PM
Bandit

You can get more calories and protein from amaranth or quinoa than rice. Combine either one with beans, lentils or tofu and you are all set.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk

Tags
allergies , protein , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page