Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Unhappy trying to be vegan :V

hello everyone

I have been vegetarian for a year and a half but I'm trying to be vegan, sometimes I've bought cheese or milk from soy but the soy milk make me feel bad so I need help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi nagi

One thing to watch for is what else may be added to the soy. Most soy milks (and other non dairy) have carageenan, which can cause stomach upset in some people. I've heard people say they can eat tofu, but not soy milk, and that may be why.
Even if soy does bother you there are many other non dairy milks to try. Daiya vegan cheese don't contain soy at all, nor gluten. I like their cheddar for a grilled cheeze--and I have some now.
Imma gonna have a grilled cheeze, and pickles!.

Where in the world do you live? It's helpful to give suggestions
#3 Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

It is not necessary to eat soy cheese or soy milk. There are limitless other food choices you can make. What kind of help do you need?

#4 Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, there are tons of different plant milks to try: almond, cashew, rice, oat, hemp, coconut milks are available. Some of them can easily be made at home too. If you live in the U.S. or maybe some places in Europe there are also nondairy soy free vegan yogurts such as Daiya and SoDelicious coconut based yogurt, and Almond based yogurt. There are vegan cheeses like Daiya, Follow Your Heart, Field Roast Chao slices, Punk Rawk Labs nut based "cheese". Personally I make my own "cheese" either sliceable using almonds or cashews and agar or thick sauces using nutritional yeast, potatoes or sweet potato, blanched almonds etc.

I personally didn't have a craving for dairy when I went vegan from omnivore but I had a terrible intolerance to it and had already avoided most of it for years prior. However, I had consumed plain Greek style yogurt a lot before because it was one of the few dairy products I could stomach. So when I went vegan that was all I really craved. Instead of trying to find an exact vegan version, I set out to find something creamy and not too sweet to give me that texture and feel I was after. I experimented with thick creamy smoothies and it seemed to do the trick. Later I discovered blending extra firm tofu with stuff like cocoa powder or lemon juice, spices, and just a pinch of sweetener also makes a great creamy pudding that is not too sweet and is loaded with protein and calcium, much like Greek yogurt. You just have to keep an open mind and learn all you can about preparing and cooking plant based meals and foods. You'll be surprised at what you can do. I recently discovered that I can make a great frosting with coconut butter in place of vegan margarine (I am trying to avoid palm oil). I remember discovering avocado pesto, and cauliflower alfredo sauce, and homemade cashew mayo. I had never heard of jicama either until I went vegan.

I know that there are still areas even in the U.S. where plant milks beyond soy are not readily available. My partner's parents live in the middle of farm country and the nearest towns are very very limited in their commercial vegan foods. Rice milk is easy to make by cooking and then blending rice with water and sweetener such as dates (soak first) or maple syrup. It isn't like dairy milk, but will do for adding to breakfast cereal or drinking as a beverage. Canned coconut milks are a little easier to find and great for baking.

Also, instead of cheese, try stuff like sliced avocado and tomato grilled sandwiches. Or hummus on toast or homemade pizza in place of cheese. Homemade varieties of white bean dip is good too for sandwiches, not too sweet and is creamy and salty.
jennb likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
milk , soy cheese , soy milk , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page