Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By terra biped

#1 Old 03-30-2016, 11:53 AM

Low cholesterol ?

Hi! I have some problems and maybe some of you could help me out. I've been vegan for almost 6 months and I've recentely got my blood tests results and they are perfect except for my cholesterol level , which is a bit too low than normal. My parents literally freaked out and since then they force me to go back to meat , dairy and eggs. I don't want to ,but I'm not sure how to convince them that this lifestyle is healthy and I'm not gonna die from it ( they legit think I will die if I continue to be vegan) I should add that I'm turning 18 in 2 months. Does anyone know why is my cholesterol so low and what can I do about it without eating animal products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Rey,

It might be best to make an appointment with your doctor, and have him/her explain your cholesterol numbers to your parents.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Oryzatarian

What is your cholesterol level?
The 'normal' level indicates slowly advancing cardiovascular disease, higher than that indicates rapidly advancing cardiovascular disease, lower than that indicates very slow, no advancement, or even reversal of cardiovascular disease.
By definition 'dangerously low cholesterol' [hypocholesterolemia] can not be diagnosed by a blood test because medical researchers have never discovered a level that is too low. Abnormally low cholesterol could be caused by other bad things, like liver or kidney failure, but many perfectly healthy people have a cholesterol level of 90 mg/dL [2.34 mmol/L].

Your cholesterol is lower because a plant based diet does not trigger excessive cholesterol production, does not supply cholesterol, and allows your body to get rid of excess cholesterol. Cholesterol is made by the human body from anything with food calories, there is no need for it in the human diet.
LedBoots and Bruce V like this.

#4 Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here's a link for your parents.
http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/teenagers/

Are you underweight? Many parents worry about their teens food if they are thin or small.
#5 Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What were your numbers anyways?
#6 Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Catana View Post
Hi! I have some problems and maybe some of you could help me out. I've been vegan for almost 6 months and I've recentely got my blood tests results and they are perfect except for my cholesterol level , which is a bit too low than normal. My parents literally freaked out and since then they force me to go back to meat , dairy and eggs. I don't want to ,but I'm not sure how to convince them that this lifestyle is healthy and I'm not gonna die from it ( they legit think I will die if I continue to be vegan) I should add that I'm turning 18 in 2 months. Does anyone know why is my cholesterol so low and what can I do about it without eating animal products?
What was the reason for you getting it tested? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems odd for a teenager to have it tested without reason.
No one can address it without knowing your numbers and other health history.
What's really sad is how many parents willingly stay blinded by their kids poor health- high blood pressure, sugar, cholestorol-when their numbers are high, and completely controlled by diet
Naturebound likes this.
#7 Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
...it seems odd for a teenager to have it tested without reason.
20 years ago it would have been odd. Its starting to be routine in developed countries tho.
I read the medical news every day [*] and over the last few years I've repeatedly seen health authorities in western nations pushing for routine lipid screening of teens and I even saw one article arguing for the screening of preteens.
Its all to look for too high cholesterol/triglyceride tho, its the obesity pandemic.
In 2009 US teens filled 3 million prescriptions for cholesterol lowering drugs.
#8 Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 AM

Like so many the cholesterol question has confused me. High is bad for the heart, but studies have shown those with low levels have heart attacks. Now apparently low levels are are bad for the brain and you won't know the problems until it's too late. (I am reading Grain Brain and haven't finished it) WTF?! How is anyone supposed to know what to do? I haven't had my cholesterol tested, but now I'm curious and will get it done.

I think if you are functioning, are happy and energy levels are good then surely the cholesterol level is fine. If something starts to feel off, body and/or mind, I would have a look at my whole life as well as diet. Even if low cholesterol can make you depressed so can your job and relationship, there are so many factors to consider. My mum is a big worrier and she would have done the same, although I'm 29 so she couldn't make me eat meat lol.

People have normal cholesterol and eat crap processed foods and sugar, those are the people who should worry about getting sick.
#9 Old 03-31-2016, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I very high cholesterol. Both the good and the bad kind. It's like funny little family quirk :-) doesn't seem to kill us early though ...
#10 Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie86 View Post
Like so many the cholesterol question has confused me. High is bad for the heart, but studies have shown those with low levels have heart attacks...
Those studies are excessively reductionist and usually not understood or even read by the journalists reporting on them! Seriously, many times I've seen strange reports in the news only to read the study the news report was based on and see that it said the opposite of the main point of the news article. Even in medical news intended for doctors!

"Low" [optimal] cholesterol can be caused by many things. It can be caused by good diet, it can also be caused by cancer, or liver failure.
Its like obesity, a good diet can make someone loose weight but so can cancer or an addiction to meth.
Many doctors see so few patients with good diets that they just come to assume that a good cholesterol level is a warning sign for something dire. I've also seen doctors get worried over an obese person loosing weight quickly. Doctors are trained to see disease, but not health.
LedBoots and Marie86 like this.
#11 Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Doctors are trained to see disease, but not health.
That's such a good way of putting it, I really hate going to the doctor and will put it off until I really think I need it. They push medicine so hard without proper full information.
#12 Old 04-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Rey - please provide numbers. Optimal LDL is 50 to 70 mg/dl. And contrary to the article, you don't need statins to get there. You can get there with a healthy vegan diet.
Naturebound likes this.

Last edited by terra biped; 04-01-2016 at 08:49 AM.
#13 Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are not supporting you through this. I'm not sure medically of the ins and outs of cholesterol, but perhaps you can encourage them to find more out about a plant-based diet and its advantages. For example, watch Forks Over Knives with them?

Tags
#cholesterol , #healthy , #vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page