• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 5 Post By Poppy
  • 3 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe

#1 Old 01-15-2016, 06:12 PM

What Has Veganism done for you?

Hi, I'm doing some research on how a vegan lifestyle can affect how you think, feel, and live. It doesn't matter if you're newly vegan or have been at this for a while, but please let me know what a difference this change has made in your life. Thank you in advance!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to xXFiyaTheOneAndOnlyXx
Oh so much! Helped me recover from anorexia helped lessen my severe mdd and anxiety (not super significantly but noticeably) lightened my period MAJORLY. Like I (sorry tmi) went through 3-5 super heavily flow maxi overnight pads in one day now I go through 1-3 the green always maxi ones in a day. Went from 7 days to 3-4. Made me feel healthier- cuz I am! I have more physical energy- and not my ADHD energy o.o xD and not due to lessening depression (cuz it wasn't a significant enough change for that )

Vegan and cruelty free. No honey or refined sugar
#3 Old 01-15-2016, 06:19 PM

Thank you for your response! I appreciate it!

#4 Old 01-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

It allows me to live according to my values.
I do need to say that being vegan doesn't necessarily equate health. You can have the equivilent of a SAD diet as a vegan, but I find it easier to eat whole plant based.

My arthritis has greatly diminished. My digestion improved. My skin has really improved- along with giving up soaps and using natural oils to clean
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 01-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Walking the walk, living my values and living a more ethical life has given me a sense of purpose and a new appreciation for life. The world really needs more compassion and love. Being vegan really isn't about me. It's the right thing to do.

My digestion improved a lot as a vegan.

My stamina and endurance has increased

I have become somewhat more assertive and have overcome some social anxiety and avoidance behaviors (I have diagnosed avoidant personality disorder). I had to speak up at restaurants to make my needs known, and come out to family and friends as a vegan. I also became passionate about animal rights activism in 2013 and did some leafleting at local colleges and high schools, and even tabled at a local college in their student Union with permission. For me this was HUGE because I am normally very shy and overwhelmed in crowds. I handed out almost 400 leaflets that day, and held interesting conversations with a few students and faculty.

That sort of confidence and passion and drive to do something beyond myself regardless of my fears led me to also finally complete college after putting it off for 17 years due to mental illness, eating disorder, alcohol abuse. I did three years of college, earned an RHIT certification, and landed a position I have coveted for years, all as a vegan. I also finally pushed to a normal weight for the first time in over six years, pushed past the point I could not get past in my eating disorder recovery before.

But It hasn't all been rosy either. I vowed to phase out having caged birds when I went vegan in 2011. Back then I had four birds. My last bird passed on in early September. I love birds but could not bear the thought of keeping them in cages anymore. Or supporting the pet trade. I still miss my beautiful bird terribly but I understand he was never "mine". I have struggled in my relationship to my partner I have been with for 18 years. I am not the same person I was when we first met. I feel like veganism has brought me back to my true self, what is really important to me and what I stand for. We have clashed in many areas as of late (such as religion, politics, animal entertainment). My partner is still an omnivore. In social settings such as work I am sometimes left out because I do not partake in the usual food gatherings, though I do bring vegan food to the ones I am allowed to. Its also very disappointing when I witness others learning about veganism but going back to eating meat and living in denial. And to know that there is still so much needless suffering going on in the world. But it helps me embrace the beautiful acts that I witness too, and appreciate the little things in life.
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Physically I feel the same....however emotionally I am far happier with how I am living. Living more in line with my values and such I guess.
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#7 Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Ankle Biter

Going vegan was the most personally liberating thing I have ever done. Living your values brings a vibrancy to life that you'll never know unless you give up cultural expectations and do what you know you were meant to do. I'm a 10 year vegan.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I really had to. I am more like what they used to call a Strict Vegerarian, which is like a Vegan in diet only (but I am transitioning ,believe me) after years after being an Ovo-Lacto, with too much emphasis on cheese. I had to because I suddenly became horribly lactose intolerant around last Christmas, and since I had already given up eggs, dairy was the last thing.

Benefits include, some weight loss, no more bloating and acid reflux, better body odor (due to removing sulphur from diet) better taste buds, lower blood pressure. Also a renewed love for veggies, and feeling that I am doing a good thing (so emotional and self-esteem benefits). More self sufficiency (gardenting in the back yard, less trips to the grocery store).

And, of course, the added benefit of knowing that each I did not partake in the horrors of factory farming. The concept of living your values is absolutely important. You cannot claim to be something, and then hypocritically do the very thing that is the absolute opposite. That was something I always struggled with as a vegetarian. You can't eat cheese or milk or eggs and still be compassionate, because you still are supporting factory farming, some would say an even darker side of it.

Last edited by Gita; 01-16-2016 at 07:53 AM.
#9 Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

I can only talk for vegan hygiene, but over the years I've been making the turn towards plant-based products. A lot of good changes! Hair stay clean longer, less hairloss, less dry skin, soft clean feeling in my mouth after brushing. And long term, being in contact with less chemicals can only be beneficial.
#10 Old 01-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsloy View Post
I can only talk for vegan hygiene, but over the years I've been making the turn towards plant-based products. A lot of good changes! Hair stay clean longer, less hairloss, less dry skin, soft clean feeling in my mouth after brushing. And long term, being in contact with less chemicals can only be beneficial.
This poster is not a vegan. He is a hunter and fisherman.
#11 Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Also, apparently, a person who doesn't understand chemicals.
#12 Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Also, apparently, a person who doesn't understand chemicals.
They are also banned.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 01-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Going vegan was the most personally liberating thing I have ever done. Living your values brings a vibrancy to life that you'll never know unless you give up cultural expectations and do what you know you were meant to do. I'm a 10 year vegan.
What POPPY said!

Being vegan helped me connect with my true self / values. I don't hurt animals any more, and have a healthier diet also! Caring for other sentient beings is a good thing. Spread the word.
no whey jose and littlespoon like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#14 Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Being vegan really isn't about me. It's the right thing to do.
This.

As a side effect, I find more joy in nature. I remember that, not long after I stopped eating poultry, I was watching a bird and I suddenly realized that I was seeing that bird with a special joy that came from knowing I was no longer taking part in the killing of her cousins in order to eat them.

I think that when you do the right thing, you get the gift of a clearer heart.
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.

Tags
diet , lifestyle , new vegan , research , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page