11Likes
  • 4 Post By newveg96
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Sirstompely
  • 3 Post By newveg96

#1 Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 PM

Talking I Love Being Vegan

I absolutely love being vegan! Although it has only been 3 weeks, I feel like it's been one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It's the first decision that I feel like I've ever truly made.

I've struggles with my weight ever since I can remember and eating disorders and eating disorder mentalities have been something that I've struggled with my entire life. My bad body image issues and low self-esteem have led me to try diets and other drastic things to "look better" and "feel better." I felt so ashamed that I couldn't stick to those diets. I even failed at being vegetarian for a month. It felt like an endless cycle of constant self dissatisfaction.

A few weeks ago ( nearly a month!) I decided to stop consuming animal product because I no longer wanted to contribute to animal cruelty. A large part of that transition has been changing the way I've been eating as I can no longer consume meat, dairy, eggs or honey. In changing my diet, this is the first time that it hasn't been for superficial reasons. I haven't restricted food intake, I haven't counted calories, and I haven't been obsessing like I would before. I have just been feeding my body what it wants and needs on my mostly plant based diet. And unlike when I did vegetarianism (which I did for the wrong reasons for me) I haven't thought once about going back. I've even lost a few pounds, and I've been eating larger portions, haven't been exercising as much as I'd like to due to my hectic schedule and have admittedly had more than a few vegan desserts on various occasions.

I've just been so happy with my choice. I find it hard to express it without people looking at me like "that vegan" or trying to tell me about how "vegan doesn't mean healthy" or how I will become deficient without meat. It's hard to convey how much veganism has helped me: it's given me a sense of agency that I've struggled so hard to find, it's helped me overcome eating disorders and eating disorder mentalities that I struggle with, and overall, I just feel cleaner and healthier. I really love being vegan!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

cool, that sounds great
#3 Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newveg96 View Post
I absolutely love being vegan! Although it has only been 3 weeks, I feel like it's been one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It's the first decision that I feel like I've ever truly made.

I've struggles with my weight ever since I can remember and eating disorders and eating disorder mentalities have been something that I've struggled with my entire life. My bad body image issues and low self-esteem have led me to try diets and other drastic things to "look better" and "feel better." I felt so ashamed that I couldn't stick to those diets. I even failed at being vegetarian for a month. It felt like an endless cycle of constant self dissatisfaction.

A few weeks ago ( nearly a month!) I decided to stop consuming animal product because I no longer wanted to contribute to animal cruelty. A large part of that transition has been changing the way I've been eating as I can no longer consume meat, dairy, eggs or honey. In changing my diet, this is the first time that it hasn't been for superficial reasons. I haven't restricted food intake, I haven't counted calories, and I haven't been obsessing like I would before. I have just been feeding my body what it wants and needs on my mostly plant based diet. And unlike when I did vegetarianism (which I did for the wrong reasons for me) I haven't thought once about going back. I've even lost a few pounds, and I've been eating larger portions, haven't been exercising as much as I'd like to due to my hectic schedule and have admittedly had more than a few vegan desserts on various occasions.

I've just been so happy with my choice. I find it hard to express it without people looking at me like "that vegan" or trying to tell me about how "vegan doesn't mean healthy" or how I will become deficient without meat. It's hard to convey how much veganism has helped me: it's given me a sense of agency that I've struggled so hard to find, it's helped me overcome eating disorders and eating disorder mentalities that I struggle with, and overall, I just feel cleaner and healthier. I really love being vegan!!
Hi newveg96 and welcome.

I am glad you are liking veganism. If your eating disorder included being underweight, be careful because vegan food fills you up with far fewer calories than meat or dairy. You mention you have lost a few pounds. If you have a low BMI, be careful, ok? <3
David3 and newveg96 like this.

#4 Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Sirstompely

Felt the same way when I went veg! It makes you feel healthy and happy. I hate that it's so hard to explain this to people because they just look at you funny or become defensive so I hate telling people. It's great that it's helped you with past eating disorders. Happy for you!
newveg96 likes this.
#5 Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi newveg96 and welcome.

I am glad you are liking veganism. If your eating disorder included being underweight, be careful because vegan food fills you up with far fewer calories than meat or dairy. You mention you have lost a few pounds. If you have a low BMI, be careful, ok? <3
Thank You!

My eating disorder actually didn't have to do with being underweight; it had to do with being overweight. My main problem was binging on junk food but since going vegan I've definitely been engaging in a lot healthier habits. Thank you for your concern! <3
LedBoots, David3 and Thalassa4 like this.
#6 Old 11-06-2015, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi newveg96 and welcome! I too am happy for you that going vegan has seemed to help you.

However, like Ledboots, I have to be a little hesitant here because you say that three weeks of being vegan has helped you "overcome eating disorders". As someone who has struggled for many many years with an eating disorder, I can attest that there is not a "diet" or "lifestyle" in particular that cures an eating disorder, especially in such a short period of time. It might help with disordered eating or bad habits which are entirely different than eating disorders, which are far more complex than a bad diet or bad habits. In fact an eating disorder is classified as a mental illness and it is dangerous and a disservice to veganism for people to promote that a lifestyle is going to cure an eating disorder. I have been vegan for a number of years and while I am very much an ethical vegan and love that I am living a lifestyle more in line with my values, it has not been a cure for my eating disorder (which has little to do with food habits other than this is a symptom of a larger problem). Not to say I am as sick as I once was and I have come a very long way, but it has little to do with being vegan. I also went through a nasty relapse period as a vegan just as I went through phases of recovery and relapse as an omnivore.

That said, I am happy that everything is working out for you! Best wishes on your journey!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 11-10-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hi newveg96 and welcome! I too am happy for you that going vegan has seemed to help you.

However, like Ledboots, I have to be a little hesitant here because you say that three weeks of being vegan has helped you "overcome eating disorders". As someone who has struggled for many many years with an eating disorder, I can attest that there is not a "diet" or "lifestyle" in particular that cures an eating disorder, especially in such a short period of time. It might help with disordered eating or bad habits which are entirely different than eating disorders, which are far more complex than a bad diet or bad habits. In fact an eating disorder is classified as a mental illness and it is dangerous and a disservice to veganism for people to promote that a lifestyle is going to cure an eating disorder. I have been vegan for a number of years and while I am very much an ethical vegan and love that I am living a lifestyle more in line with my values, it has not been a cure for my eating disorder (which has little to do with food habits other than this is a symptom of a larger problem). Not to say I am as sick as I once was and I have come a very long way, but it has little to do with being vegan. I also went through a nasty relapse period as a vegan just as I went through phases of recovery and relapse as an omnivore.

That said, I am happy that everything is working out for you! Best wishes on your journey!
Hi!

Yeah I absolutely understand what you're saying :blush: What I meant more about helped me overcome it, is that I'm doing alright right now. I understand that It'll always be something that I struggle with. Veganism has just helped me feel in control of my ED because of certain psychological reasons that don't necessarily have to do with being vegan itself. Making the change has postively impacted me in many aspects of my life. I am very aware though that I have to be cognizant of other issues that may arise. For example, at first I was being obsessive about eating " the right things" and trying to take diet pills with being vegan. But when I wrote this I had decided to let go of all of my *******ized ideas of "health" and just try to eat whole foods, not worrying about calories or amounts, just eating what my body needs. I can say so far that that's worked for me and I feel great.
Thank you for your concern and for sharing yor story with me :blush:

Tags
happy , new vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page