Going vegan what are some basics? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gjbz123
  • 1 Post By SteveW

#1 Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Happy Veggie

Going vegan what are some basics?

Okay I've been vegetarian for 11 months (one more to go than a year!) and I've tried going full vegan a few times but I'm taking it slow now because it's easier for a 14 year old (me) to do so. I just want to know some basic vegan musts and what should my daily calories, protein, sodium, etc be. So if you could leave a basic grocery list or something it would be very helpful please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Congrats! I wish I had some concrete answers but there are some amazing blogs out there. Mine doesnt focus so much on nutrition as it does experience but I know a few that do.
https://venusvegan.wordpress.com/201...mployed-vegan/

And then theres a blog called vegan coach. I use it all the time. It has great info on whole grains and even vegan weight loss. Hope this helps
#3 Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

You have been a vegetarian for 11 months so going vegan will be easy. Replace your dairy products by appropriate plant products. I recommend fortified plant milks for your calcium and B12 (it's like taking a multivitamin). Otherwise picture a plant for your grocery (root, stem, leaf, fruit, flower, seed) and get at least one of each! Like sweet potatoes for root, asparagus for stem veggies, spinach/kale for leaf, legumes and fruits for.. the fruit of the plant, brocoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts for the flower part and chia/flax for the seed. Mix all of the plant parts in your grocery bag for a balanced diet and you cannot go wrong or deficient in something.
Egg replacers are common, just check online for tips.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#4 Old 09-23-2015, 01:00 PM

I suggest tracking your macros (and your micros if you tend not to eat healthy). As I eat a lot of vegetables and rice or potatoes but rarely tofu e.g. I hardy get enough protein (like only 30 g to 40 g, and at least 70 g to 80 g is suggested for me), which is why I supplement at the moment with vegan rice and pea proteins.

I think there are several apps to track your micros and macros.
#5 Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
Egg replacers are common, just check online for tips.
So far for egg replacers I've found banana's and tofu are they good to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
I suggest tracking your macros (and your micros if you tend not to eat healthy). As I eat a lot of vegetables and rice or potatoes but rarely tofu e.g. I hardy get enough protein (like only 30 g to 40 g, and at least 70 g to 80 g is suggested for me), which is why I supplement at the moment with vegan rice and pea proteins.

I think there are several apps to track your micros and macros.
I found cronometer it looks good. I'm not the best at eating healthy as I'm a 14 year old female so I'm still addicted to junk :P but I have a high matablisim (dont know how to spell it) so I stay thin but I try to eat healthy so this will help. Thank you
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 09-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Beginner

Make sure you eat enough!

That's where most people tend to fail, count your macros using one of the apps (I use MyFitnessPal) to make sure you're getting enough calories.
David3 likes this.
#7 Old 09-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Make sure you eat enough!

That's where most people tend to fail, count your macros using one of the apps (I use MyFitnessPal) to make sure you're getting enough calories.
I'l try. But I get full very easily, thank you very much
#8 Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi gjbz123,

Mercy For Animals has published a free, nicely-written Vegetarian (vegan) Guide. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) also has a Plant-Based (vegan) Nutrition Guide. It is nearly identical to the one from Mercy For Animals, except that it recommends more vegetables (it seems to be geared more towards people who are overweight): http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

The vegan food groups are (1) beans and legumes, (2) whole grains and starchy vegetables, (3) non-starchy vegetables (green / yellow vegetables), (4) fruit and (5) nuts and seeds. Your shopping list should include these things. Here are examples:

Beans and legumes: Dried beans, dried lentils, canned beans, canned vegetarian chili, tofu, fake meats based on soy or beans

Whole grains and starchy vegetables: Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, sweet potatoes

Non-starchy vegetables: Spinach, carrots, kale, cabbage, radishes, mustard greens, turnip greens

Fruit: Fruits with bright-colored flesh (watermelon, cantaloupe) are higher in vitamins

Nuts and seeds: Choose roasted nuts, as opposed to those that are fried in oil. Also, choose nuts and seeds that are higher in omega-3 fatty acids (like ground flax seeds, and chia seeds)

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 09-28-2015 at 11:35 AM.
#9 Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi gjbz123,

Mercy For Animals has published a free, nicely-written Vegetarian (vegan) Guide. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) also has a Plant-Based (vegan) Nutrition Guide. It is nearly identical to the one from Mercy For Animals, except that it recommends more vegetables (it seems to be geared more towards people who are overweight): http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

The vegan food groups are (1) beans and legumes, (2) whole grains and starchy vegetables, (3) non-starchy vegetables (green / yellow vegetables), (4) fruit and (5) nuts and seeds. Your shopping list should include these things. Here are examples:

Beans and legumes: Dried beans, dried lentils, canned beans, canned vegetarian chili, tofu, fake meats based on soy or beans

Whole grains and starchy vegetables: Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice, barley, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, sweet potatoes

Non-starchy vegetables: Spinach, carrots, kale, cabbage, radishes, mustard greens, turnip greens

Fruit: Fruits with bright-colored flesh (watermelon, cantaloupe) are higher in vitamins

Nuts and seeds: Choose roasted nuts, as opposed to those that are fried in oil. Also, choose nuts and seeds that are higher in omega-3 fatty acids (like ground flax seeds, and chia seeds)
WOW So much info thanks everyone Oh I like the looks of these, I don't need to worry about being over weight as i'm 20-30 pounds under it for my age, but I am very short so it works out. Hmmm I dislike whole grain/weat pastas and stuff can I just stick to my normal one it only has drum wheat in it and it has lots of protein it in. Unfortunately I'm deathly allergic to nuts so that's outta the question. Thanks again great help I'll work on my shopping list so next time my parents go out I can get my stuff!
#10 Old 10-01-2015, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

These are staples I keep around as a vegan. Just thought it might give you some ideas.

Vinegars (usually rice and cider vinegar and sometimes balsamic)
lemon juice and lime juice
soy sauce or tamari (for making dishes for my gluten free Mom)
vegan mayonnaise (Just Mayo or Vegannaise)
salsa
dijon mustard
organic catsup
applesauce
flaxseeds/ground flaxmeal
unsweetened coconut flakes
vital wheat gluten
cornmeal or polenta
oats
whole wheat flour, white spelt flour, whole wheat pastry flour
white rice flour and brown rice flour
sorghum flour
chickpea flour (awesome to have around to make chickpea flour omelets)
baking soda and baking powder
tapioca starch, cornstarch
maple syrup
blackstrap molasses (great source of calcium and iron and goes well in hot cereal, homemade Asian sauce, smoothies, baking bread etc)
tahini
peanut butter (just peanuts)
sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (shelled)
brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
nutritional yeast flakes (found in bulk section of natural food stores)
buckwheat groats, oat groats, millet, brown rice, jasmine rice, couscous, quinoa, bulgur wheat (great for making taco "meat", spaghetti sauce "meat", sloppy joe "meat" etc as the texture is similar to ground beef and it absorbs other ingredients well)
spaghetti, whole wheat penne pasta, buckwheat soba noodles (without egg), udon noodles
cans of tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced or stewed tomatoes
dried lentils (brown, red)
dried split peas (green, yellow)
cans of chickpeas, white beans, black beans, kidney beans (sometimes dry too)
cans of pineapple
cans or artichoke hearts
canned pumpkin (great in place of egg for some baking and for smoothies or pancakes etc)
turbinado sugar
agar flakes (if you like to make things that "gel", this works beautifully in place of gelatine)
spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, coriander, oregano, basil, dill seed or weed, thyme, black pepper, onion powder, marjorum, mustard powder
vegan commercial bread on occasion (Rudi brand or Ezekiel/Food For Life) or I make my own more often
Frozen mixed vegetables, bananas I freeze in chunks and keep in freezer bags, frozen berries in winter months, frozen peas and limas
tempeh, tofu (I almost always keep a package of tempeh on hand but tofu is something I buy less often)
plant milks (almond, soy usually but have tried oat, hemp etc and used to make my own flaxseed milk and almond milk)
sweet potatoes (great in soups, burritos, casseroles, mashed with pineapple or coconut etc)
potatoes (red or russet)
a variety of leafy greens always on hand (collards, kale, bok choy, spinach, turnip greens, romaine etc) (good for smoothies, salads, in sandwiches, wraps, soups etc)
bell peppers
cucumbers
zucchini, yellow squash
winter squash (butternut, acorn)
green beans
snap peas
mushrooms
tomatoes
jicama
celery
carrots
onions
asparagus or brussel sprouts
broccoli always on hand
apples
oranges
bananas
seasonal fruits (berries, plums, peaches...)
cantaloupe or pineapple

There are tons of egg replacers. Depends on what you are using them for. Stuff like cornstarch which acts as a leavener and lightens baked dishes, "buttermilk" (plant milk plus a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice) and baking soda in same recipe acts as a leavener, applesauce, ground flaxseed and water, chia seeds (they expand when introduced to wet foods/liquids and especially heat so make a great binder), banana, pumpkin or squash or even potatoes, beans, tofu, agar flakes...

A 14 year old girl needs well over 2000 calories per day, especially if you are active. I was very small as a teenager too and didn't get my first period until I was 16. If I could go back I would have done more to help myself because I have VERY bad bones now. Fractures are not fun and are very debilitating. Eat a variety of plant food and worry more about getting enough calories instead of obsessing about macronutrients and specific foods. If you eat a variety of plant food and include several servings of beans, five to seven servings of fruits/veggies, five or six or more servings of grains, and a few servings of fats etc you will be fine. To meet calorie needs, especially as tiny as you are, eat more dense fruits like bananas, pineapple, dates, figs. Include stuff like peanut butter (not a nut so safe even with nut allergies) or sunflower butter. If you can't handle that, try avocados. Make puddings like banana, avocado, and cocoa powder with some maple syrup or other sugar. If you are unable to meet your calorie needs you really should have your parents set you up with a dietician. Being that underweight as a teen is going to hurt your health big time when you get older, trust me. My Mom took me to a doctor when I still wasn't getting my period at 16 (I was studying ballet 3-4 hours six days per week) and I think that put the fear into me as I ate like a horse after that lol. Don't worry about being perfect with your diet. Food is supposed to be enjoyable, not just there to meet nutritional needs. even wild animals celebrate their food and enjoy it! Gluten free pastas are also more and more abundant nowadays. I have seen quinoa and corn based pasta as well as brown rice and have tried them all. I love the quinoa pastas!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-03-2015, 01:22 PM

you can also check out my youtube channel for some basics and tips. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWw...wA1XVwWUjLsqGA
#12 Old 10-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Happy Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
These are staples I keep around as a vegan. Just thought it might give you some ideas.

Vinegars (usually rice and cider vinegar and sometimes balsamic)
lemon juice and lime juice
soy sauce or tamari (for making dishes for my gluten free Mom)
vegan mayonnaise (Just Mayo or Vegannaise)
salsa
dijon mustard
organic catsup
applesauce
flaxseeds/ground flaxmeal
unsweetened coconut flakes
vital wheat gluten
cornmeal or polenta
oats
whole wheat flour, white spelt flour, whole wheat pastry flour
white rice flour and brown rice flour
sorghum flour
chickpea flour (awesome to have around to make chickpea flour omelets)
baking soda and baking powder
tapioca starch, cornstarch
maple syrup
blackstrap molasses (great source of calcium and iron and goes well in hot cereal, homemade Asian sauce, smoothies, baking bread etc)
tahini
peanut butter (just peanuts)
sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (shelled)
brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
nutritional yeast flakes (found in bulk section of natural food stores)
buckwheat groats, oat groats, millet, brown rice, jasmine rice, couscous, quinoa, bulgur wheat (great for making taco "meat", spaghetti sauce "meat", sloppy joe "meat" etc as the texture is similar to ground beef and it absorbs other ingredients well)
spaghetti, whole wheat penne pasta, buckwheat soba noodles (without egg), udon noodles
cans of tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced or stewed tomatoes
dried lentils (brown, red)
dried split peas (green, yellow)
cans of chickpeas, white beans, black beans, kidney beans (sometimes dry too)
cans of pineapple
cans or artichoke hearts
canned pumpkin (great in place of egg for some baking and for smoothies or pancakes etc)
turbinado sugar
agar flakes (if you like to make things that "gel", this works beautifully in place of gelatine)
spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, coriander, oregano, basil, dill seed or weed, thyme, black pepper, onion powder, marjorum, mustard powder
vegan commercial bread on occasion (Rudi brand or Ezekiel/Food For Life) or I make my own more often
Frozen mixed vegetables, bananas I freeze in chunks and keep in freezer bags, frozen berries in winter months, frozen peas and limas
tempeh, tofu (I almost always keep a package of tempeh on hand but tofu is something I buy less often)
plant milks (almond, soy usually but have tried oat, hemp etc and used to make my own flaxseed milk and almond milk)
sweet potatoes (great in soups, burritos, casseroles, mashed with pineapple or coconut etc)
potatoes (red or russet)
a variety of leafy greens always on hand (collards, kale, bok choy, spinach, turnip greens, romaine etc) (good for smoothies, salads, in sandwiches, wraps, soups etc)
bell peppers
cucumbers
zucchini, yellow squash
winter squash (butternut, acorn)
green beans
snap peas
mushrooms
tomatoes
jicama
celery
carrots
onions
asparagus or brussel sprouts
broccoli always on hand
apples
oranges
bananas
seasonal fruits (berries, plums, peaches...)
cantaloupe or pineapple

There are tons of egg replacers. Depends on what you are using them for. Stuff like cornstarch which acts as a leavener and lightens baked dishes, "buttermilk" (plant milk plus a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice) and baking soda in same recipe acts as a leavener, applesauce, ground flaxseed and water, chia seeds (they expand when introduced to wet foods/liquids and especially heat so make a great binder), banana, pumpkin or squash or even potatoes, beans, tofu, agar flakes...

A 14 year old girl needs well over 2000 calories per day, especially if you are active. I was very small as a teenager too and didn't get my first period until I was 16. If I could go back I would have done more to help myself because I have VERY bad bones now. Fractures are not fun and are very debilitating. Eat a variety of plant food and worry more about getting enough calories instead of obsessing about macronutrients and specific foods. If you eat a variety of plant food and include several servings of beans, five to seven servings of fruits/veggies, five or six or more servings of grains, and a few servings of fats etc you will be fine. To meet calorie needs, especially as tiny as you are, eat more dense fruits like bananas, pineapple, dates, figs. Include stuff like peanut butter (not a nut so safe even with nut allergies) or sunflower butter. If you can't handle that, try avocados. Make puddings like banana, avocado, and cocoa powder with some maple syrup or other sugar. If you are unable to meet your calorie needs you really should have your parents set you up with a dietician. Being that underweight as a teen is going to hurt your health big time when you get older, trust me. My Mom took me to a doctor when I still wasn't getting my period at 16 (I was studying ballet 3-4 hours six days per week) and I think that put the fear into me as I ate like a horse after that lol. Don't worry about being perfect with your diet. Food is supposed to be enjoyable, not just there to meet nutritional needs. even wild animals celebrate their food and enjoy it! Gluten free pastas are also more and more abundant nowadays. I have seen quinoa and corn based pasta as well as brown rice and have tried them all. I love the quinoa pastas!
Omg thanks! So much information! I'll try to follow all the tips I can yeah I still haven't gotten my period yet but when I went to the doctor for a new epi pen thingy they said my height and weight was great and that it's normal not to get my period yet as I'm very active.

Tags
basics , food , newbie , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page