VeggieBoards banner

Acne after vegan transition

10K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Thia Winter 
#1 ·
About three weeks ago, I cut meat out of my diet and followed with dairy about a week later. I have never been prone to acne, but the past few weeks my skin has been breaking out. I assume my skin is just detoxing, but I wanted to see if this has happened with anyone else after the vegan transition? I don't really eat soy products. My diet consists mostly of fruit, vegetables, rice, nuts & seeds (minimal) and gluten-free pasta.

I love the way I'm feeling emotionally/physically, but getting these breakouts is a bit discouraging! Can anyone relate?

#2 ·
Nope, can't relate. I had never had any acne problems before and didn't get them after either, and I eat soy products. But there have been more posts here about the same issue.

#3 ·
I never had acne or other skin problems either when I went vegan four years ago. My sister went vegan a few years ago as well and her acne cleared up for the first time in over 30 years.

However, As jessandreia said, there are other threads here regarding acne after going vegan. If you do a search with the word "acne" I am sure you will find a few threads.

Two to three weeks without animal products seems like a short time for diet to affect one's skin. Sometimes physical stress can bring out skin issues, and an abrupt change in diet, and especially one so strict as to not include soy products and gluten as well as not include animal products all at once might be a big stressor to your body. Hormonal changes can also affect skin, and lack of fats and calories in general can lower hormone levels and therefore bring on acne. Just a few theories.

#4 ·
I've always had blotchy skin, blackheads on my nose, whiteheads on chin, uneven skin tone. When first I cut out animal products it slowly cleared up. I then quit using anything other than warm water and lotions and oils. No makeup.

I believe any kind of change will affect your skin. I suggest staying with your regular skin routine and see what happens.

I also keep a small container of regular sugar that I use as a scrub with either just water, or lotion. Brown sugar is actually a bit gentler than white.

#5 · (Edited)
I experienced the opposite. My acne cleared up after I became vegan.

Nevertheless, I can't find any peer-reviewed evidence showing that a vegan diet affects acne (either positively or negatively).

The American Academy of Dermatology's website makes no statements regarding vegetarian / vegan diets: https://www.aad.org/

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition hasn't published any articles regarding vegetarian diets and acne: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' website hasn't published any articles regarding vegetarian diets and acne: http://www.eatright.org/

#6 · (Edited)
at least 2 lemons everyday with hot tea and or water, that is the thing that worked wonders for me. When I started juicing fresh my ache disappeared, when I stopped it slowly came back, I wondered why and I have found the thing that was the most beneficial. LEMONS.
Just remember that it starts from the inside, yes a good cleanser is great, but don't go out buying miracle face products, it will just mess up your natural balance. eg. proactive, ect (but you knew that );)

#8 ·
The only thing I would guess is that the antibiotics in the meat and dairy you were consuming may have helped keep down the breakouts you are naturally prone to. I would imagine you're very happy not have those antibiotics in your foods anymore. If I were you, I'd try to continue to eat as healthily as possible, keep your skin clean and address each area you are prone to have breakouts with a cruelty free product (maybe look at Aveda, Lush, Pur for ideas) and hopefully your skin will settle down once you're through this transition. :)

#9 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied! I have been consistent with skin care and am sticking to natural, simple products. The breakout isn't too bad, it's just a lot of tiny bumps and a few pimples on my forehead. (the rest of my face is clear) I'm keeping up with my diet and keeping my fats minimal. I've read a lot of other stories about new vegans experiencing skin breakouts, so that made me feel better! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be patient! A few pimples are worth it if I get to keep feeling as happy and healthy as I have these past few weeks! Thanks!

#11 ·
My wife & daughter had bumps on their face for a few weeks after stopping meat. Then it cleared up. I did not have that problem. I have read certain things about the body detoxing the accumulated chemicals previously eaten, but I'm not a doctor.

Reactions: Madi Moore
#12 ·
Before when I was vegan, I didn't have a purging like that, my face just cleared. This time (I am staying vegan this time) i had about a week like that, and now little by little each day my face looks a bit clearer. I am usually very oily and acne prone in summer and combination in winter, but I have noticed my skin is more dry now. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.