Beginner vegan needs help! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl

#1 Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM

Question Beginner vegan needs help!

I've been a vegan for about a month now, and I used to have a lot of processed foods with my meals but I cut all of that out recently. But now I never feel full when I eat. For breakfast, I usually have a bowl of puffed millet, about 30 almonds, an apple, a carrot, and sometimes a sandwich. But I never feel full. By ten o'clock I am starving but at my school I eat at 12:20. What are some good breakfasts that actually make you full? Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM

If I feel like I really need a filling breakfast, I have a toasted bagel with crunchy peanut butter on top. That usually lasts me at least until lunch time without any hunger. I usually also have a coffee with tons of soy creamer, or a soy latte, but that is of course optional

Edit: Bananas are also the most filling fruit ever. Ever!
#3 Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM
No flesh since 99'

It sounds like you aren't eating enough. Remember, healthy things that aren't excessively processed (for the most part) are very low calorie and only temporarily filling because they are mostly water. 2000-2500 calories in grains, fruits and veg is a whole lot more volume than processed foods. Healthy food also tend to be fiber rich, so they move through a whole lot quicker than meat and fatty/greasy foods.

I normally eat around 6 large pieces of fruit (bananas, apples, pears, peaches ect..) in the morning, plus a large glass of juice in addition to my bowl of oatmeal. Same at lunch and dinner, you have to eat a ton of fruits and veg if you're not eating a whole lot of grains or processed foods. I've upped that even more recently, as I went from ova-lacto vegetarian to vegan. Many vegans get malnourished because the amount of food one needs to eat as a healthy vegan is almost comical so you eat "normal" portions and end up only getting around 1000 calories a day (which isn't enough!). That's one of the big reasons I flip flopped around for years over becoming vegan- while possible, it's really difficult if you want to be healthy. I know I'm struggling right now to consume enough calories without dairy, eggs, soy or unhealthy processed junk. I feel like all I do is eat and do dishes lol! It will get easier though as time goes on (it always does as you become used to it). When I switched from a "junk food" vegetarian to a healthy vegetarian diet, I remember feeling like it was almost impossible to eat all the fruits and veg I have no problem getting through now! This is no different. Hope you start eating an appropriate amount of food and feeling more satisfies after meals soon!

#4 Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Oats with fruit
Beans on whole grain toast

Look up Naturebounds posts on food! She's got very creative ways to breakfast!
Like this energy bar link she posted:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemad...gy-bar-recipe/

Actually beans, tempeh, whole grains, lentils, many of the higher protein and carb whole foods that should be in your diet supply good amounts of calories. Things like avocado and nuts are good fats
#5 Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

I moved your post to the Transitioning to Vegan forum so it can get seen by more people.

And here are a few links that might help you get ideas for filling foods:

http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17...ion-2-0-a.html

http://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...ed-lunch-ideas

http://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...pantry-kitchen

I find that when you change the way you eat it can take awhile to adjust but as your body gets used to the change and you learn more about vegan food options it gets better.

Give it time and keep learning about new vegan food and it'll get easier and easier.
thenuvegan likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM

could you send me the full link for those recipes? i really want to see them but I click on it and the full url isn't there. thanks!
#7 Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

We love oatmeal for breakfast. It is so versatile and easy! You can put an innumerable amount of fruits, nuts, and seeds, soy milk, or almond milk, coconut, chia, or flax. If sweeter is more your style you got coconut sugar, mushy bananas, maple syrup, agave, coconut nectar and of course the mroe fruit the better!! Truly limitless!

Lunch we typically like something easy like chili or hummus wraps, but sometimes we find ourselves eating out and it is good to know our options too!

Dinner is usually where we might mix things up a bit and maybe make veggie pizza with Daiya or our favorite dish which is tofu, macaroni, mashed potatoes, and broccoli!!

The Friendly Fig has some great recipes (http://thefriendlyfig.com/ ) and so does A Lazy Girl Goes Green ( http://alazygirlgoesgreen.com/category/green-food/ )

Meagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by adventurousnutmeg; 10-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.
#8 Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM

I'd recommend a good muesli (oats, wheat, dried fruit, nuts etc) mixed with soya yoghurt, not milk. It keeps me full for hours.
#9 Old 11-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Beginner

I take to school with me at least 1.5 litres of a homemade fruit smoothie with me so that I don't have to give myself time to eat breakfast. It means I can drink throughout the morning/afternoon and I never get tired of drinking it because a cold smoothie is sooo satisfying! My recommendations would be pineapple and frozen banana

Tags
breakfast , food , hungry , meals , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page