VeggieBoards banner

Quick vegan meals!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  adventurousnutmeg 
#1 ·
I'm extremely new to my vegan transition (a week in! :)) and enjoying it so far. It's been a little easier to cook as I've been home a lot in the evenings due to work/staff issues. I work shifts, and am about to start a new job in a couple of weeks so need to figure out how that much that will allow me to cook in work, etc. (Up until now, I'd finish at 8pm, home, shower, work the dog then figure out dinner which could be difficult even as a vegetarian).

Anyway, what are some quick, easy vegan meals I can pull together without much fuss but still nutritious?

Any ideas of meals I can freeze? I already have a pile of red lentil bolognese in the freezer. The winter will be easier as I can batch cook curries, stews, 3 bean chilli, lentil cottage pie, etc, but can't think of many ideas for the current warmer weather.

#2 ·
Hey! Congrats on the transition. Wow just a week, keep going strong :) What were you doing before this week, vegetarian or omnivore? It definitely can make the transition easier when you have the time at night, but with anything this drastic to your diet, planning is key. You dont want to add unecessary stress to your body while missing out on key nutrients.

So quick easy vegan meals! I noticed you asked about freezing so here is the only one I could find that is a freezer meal planner: http://onceamonthmeals.com
See what you scope out, but from the looks they also cater to meat eaters, however there might be a veg option with great ideas.

Did you want just ideas or recipes posted here?
Good luck!

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, I've been vegetarian for approx 2 years (huge meat eater before that!) Although I'm big on health and fitness, my diet/appetite hasn't been great in recent weeks and relied heavily on Quorn products, eggs and milk for calories. Actually this past week, knowing I'm now taking dairy/eggs/etc out of my diet, it has prompted me to eat more/better the last few days to ensure I'm getting enough nutrients/vitamins/protein and so on, which in turn has increased my appetite. As I can't risk losing any more weight and for instance, soya milk is lower in calories than full fat cow's milk, I've had to make sure I'm eating regularly to combat further weight loss.

I'm hoping the new job will allow me less restriction to cooking/eating, and plan my meals/shopping better.

Thanks for the website, shall check it out after I finish my assignment!

Any recipes/ideas would be hugely appreciated, whatever you want to throw my way :laugh:

#4 ·
I don't have a very big freezer, but I do make freezer burritos. I make them 80 at a time, and put them away for snacks and dinners. Small burritos reheat much better than large ones - wrap them in a damp paper towel and stick in the microwave for two or three minutes. You can fill them with whatever you like in normal burritos (avocado, beans, rice, peppers, onions, etc.) Putting them together initially is a bit of a procedure - make them on a day off if you can.

Also, whenever we make soups, stews, or other liquidy meals, we usually do a big pot with 6-8 servings (for two of us) and then put the leftovers in individual serving size containers. We keep enough in the fridge to eat throughout the week as quick meals or lunches, and put anything we know we won't get around to eating in the freezer.

#5 ·
Hey summerberries! My partner and I make big batches of beans and refrigerate them to use throughout the week. We make a chili-like dish with rice, just about everyday. It takes about 20-30 minutes to cook the rice for the both of us (maybe 10-20 for one serving) which gives us enough time to make the chili (composed of black beans and various spices) and then top it off with some pico and lettuce. We enjoy how quick it is! We also make a batch of hummus so we can make our own hummus wraps and have a nice snack throughout the week. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.