• 2 Post By clarita osita
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 3 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 1 Post By Jessica Danielle Johnson
  • 3 Post By Annvdb
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave

#1 Old 06-06-2014, 01:36 AM

Question Transitioning to Vegan Difficulties /Need Help!

Hi there good people from all around the globe. It’s my second post here, since the first one was made a few months ago.
In the last post I was trying to get some support because my family won’t allow me to do it. Now I have made some progress, and already been able to leave the seafood. The only problem is that I really want to leave the food by the final of this year, but it’s hard. My family still doesn’t approve it, and to leave the seafood it was a nightmare, but in my mind, it is one step closer to follow my dream. I have already made my way to make the “Bull Fights” to end, with many organizations all around the country, but it have been hard, but that industry is really dying.
Do you guys have any tips to convince my family that Vegan life is a good choice, healthier and good for the world? What makes it difficult is the fact that eating meat is in the culture of the country. I’ll be waiting for your answers guys!

See you soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Honestly, one of the best ways I've found to convince people that being vegan is ok is to really enjoy your food and be healthy and happy. By seeing that you are not missing out, people can see that veganism isn't going to kill you! If you are eating good food that makes you happy and you are healthy, I think your family will probably stop bothering you about it over time. Maybe they will sometimes, but probably less than now.

This probably won't convince them to become vegan, but at least it might help them see that being vegan isn't bad for YOU. It's more about being an example, rather than trying to make them believe something.
#3 Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Your parents, like most people, learned that meat is essential to your nutrition needs and are worried you will get sick if you go vegan.
Read as much as you can about vegan nutrition so you can be a healthy vegan. And like Clarita Osita said, once your parents see you're healthy and happy they will not bother you as much. That will take some time, but I'm afraid there's not much else you can do about it. You can always show them articles and videos about how being vegan is good for you, but if they're not willing to be open-minded about the subject, it won't make a difference.
Rafael Borlido likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#4 Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Rafael -

CONGRATULATIONS on your decision.

I am very consistent with my replies to people who have "problems" with other people "accepting" their new vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.

My replies are:

1) It is YOUR LIFE. You should be able to make decisions based on YOUR VALUES. Other people have made their own decisions, that they expect YOU to accept....like eating meat. Why can't THEY accept YOUR decision NOT to eat meat?

2) What if you wanted to change your religion, political party, or sexual orientation? It is the way YOU want to live YOUR life. Would you hesitate if someone didn't approve? If you did, you'd be living a lie.

Forget about the opinions of others. Live YOUR LIFE the way YOU want to. I went vegetarian, then vegan all by myself. I didn't care how it played out. (BTW- most of my family followed soon afterward).

If you live your life based on the opinions of others....then it's not really your life. Think about it. Go vegan & let everybody else deal with it.

I ordered a pasta dish without cheese yesterday from a restaurant, and I got it to go. When I got home...yup....it had cheese on it. I got back in my car....and drove back to the restaurant and told them about it. They made it again, without cheese, and I took it home. I don't want to be a tool, but there are halal, kosher, and every other kind of "special" meals out there....so if I order a vegan meal.....give me a vegan meal.

I don't want to cause any suffering or exploitation of any living being. My diet reflects that. If it causes me some inconvenience, so be it. Other people can deal with my choices, just like I deal with theirs.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 06-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Thanks everybody, it's hard because here in the house they control everything that I eat...
#6 Old 06-07-2014, 01:07 AM

27, living with Dad, and going Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Borlido View Post
Thanks everybody, it's hard because here in the house they control everything that I eat...
I have slightly controlling parents and I'm 27. But when I convinced my dad that I could get all the nutrients I need on a Vegan diet, then he just let me spend the money on it, and supported me. One of the most important things to get on this diet is vitamin B12. You can get it vegan through methylcobalamin, which comes in a cherry flavoured tablet at most stores that sell vegan stuff (like healthstores), as B12 doesn't come in most plants. And try eating it separately from B3, as I think I read somewhere that you can't absorb the two within two hours of each other. Also, you need to make sure you're you get plenty of other B's like B6 and folic acid in particular. There's a website that tells you which foods have what vitamins, if you look them up. It's on the following URL (posted below)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=48

I hope this helps you, and helps your family to see that there's a way to safely go Vegan (at least as far as I know). I'm still pretty new at it myself. And my poor dad doesn't know what to buy me. And sometimes, I've had to have minutes on my cellphone and use them to make phone calls to companies I don't know about. How vegan do you want to be: hardcore, average? You seem passionate about the rights of animals. By the way, why do your family control what you eat? Are you young, or are they just over protective, wanting to make sure you have a happy life?

Just so you know, I haven't told my mom, who lives overseas, nor the rest of my family. I'm not sure how well that will go down, if I want to go to my cousin's wedding over there.

Last edited by Jessica Danielle Johnson; 06-07-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention the rest of my family. And I couldn't see my link in the text when I put it in the URL Section.
#7 Old 06-07-2014, 03:17 AM

The reason why I want to be a Vegan it’s because I don´t want to have animals suffering because of me. My life will be all about protecting them, as soon as i finish the university and make my self a true Biologist, they will believe me for sure.
Someone already told me about those vitamins B12 and B3, I will have to read more about it. And my mom is noto ver protective, but here she make the dinner and the lunch because i dont have time to make them. Like I said I don’t eat seafood anymore, and she accepted that well, even well than when i told her that I am atheist ( this time she freaked out).
Oh and by the way, I am still 17 years old, that is why it’s hard to change.

P.S. : I can see the URL and I will check it after cleaning up the house (:
#8 Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Hi there good people from all around the globe. It’s my second post here, since the first one was made a few months ago.
In the last post I was trying to get some support because my family won’t allow me to do it. Now I have made some progress, and already been able to leave the seafood. The only problem is that I really want to leave the food by the final of this year, but it’s hard. My family still doesn’t approve it, and to leave the seafood it was a nightmare, but in my mind, it is one step closer to follow my dream. I have already made my way to make the “Bull Fights” to end, with many organizations all around the country, but it have been hard, but that industry is really dying.
Do you guys have any tips to convince my family that Vegan life is a good choice, healthier and good for the world? What makes it difficult is the fact that eating meat is in the culture of the country. I’ll be waiting for your answers guys!

See you soon
I would say that it is better to simply be an example, and if conversations and discussions come up, to provide them with good info and facts which you can find all over the web

Not to be a converter, because that often backfires and people become defensive. So not pushing it on people, but when it comes up to have a responds ready That is my take on it. Also maybe send them this page: www.nutritionfacts.org, it is awesome!

Im 27 btw although I look a lot younger than my age, but I have been vegetarian since I was 16 , and then i turned vegan 3 years later. So I have been for a long time And what my family says doesn't matter to me. I also cook for myself since I was like 17 or something. It takes 15 minutes only to cook a good meal, depending on what your making. You can throw things together in 1 pot: potatoes, loads of veggies, herb and some vegetable broth and maybe lentils. I love that kind of mixed dishes and it is super fast and easy to make + healthy!
I got to university, made some mistakes regards education so thats why I am graduating only now in january.

Stay true to yourself, dont let others determin who you are or should be, how you should live etc... it will make you strong as a person

My Vegann youtube page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(recipes and cooking videos, vegan myth debunking etc...)

Last edited by Annvdb; 06-07-2014 at 04:08 AM.
#9 Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I second what annvdb said! Also, even though you live at home with parents, you are not powerless. You can offer to help with meals and grocery shopping so that you can make some choices and have some say. If you work and earn money, you can help contribute towards food that is more suitable for you. It is not always going to be easy or convenient to be vegan, but if you hold true to yourself and your beliefs and values, you will find a way or make do the best way you can. Search online and find some nutrition data about vegan diets and show them to your family so that they can see that it is entirely possible to be healthy as a vegan. I am sure they are just concerned for your health and mean well but they do not fully understand what it means to be vegan and what vegans eat. I often use materials prepared from others to show rather than try to explain it all myself. There is so much free information on the internet is is crazy.

I did not go vegan as a teen so I don't know what that experience is like and I won't judge you for your struggles. I imagine your challenges are great. But I have spent up to five days with a non vegan family who were very against it and heavy on their use of meat and dairy. I spent time with them half way across the country in a poor area with few choices, but i somehow managed to find ways to eat vegan with what was available. I had to fly there by airplane so no way to prepack food. I was fortunate they were willing to drive me to a store some twenty miles away to get food. Over time I am sure I would have found more ways to get by if I had needed to. it is never impossible.

I applaud you for trying and for wanting to fully make the transition. It doesn't sound like you have far to go before you are on your own and then it will be easier for you. Hang in there! your efforts are not in vein!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#10 Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
The reason why I want to be a Vegan it’s because I don´t want to have animals suffering because of me. My life will be all about protecting them, as soon as i finish the university and make my self a true Biologist, they will believe me for sure.
Someone already told me about those vitamins B12 and B3, I will have to read more about it. And my mom is noto ver protective, but here she make the dinner and the lunch because i dont have time to make them. Like I said I don’t eat seafood anymore, and she accepted that well, even well than when i told her that I am atheist ( this time she freaked out).
Oh and by the way, I am still 17 years old, that is why it’s hard to change.

P.S. : I can see the URL and I will check it after cleaning up the house (:
Rafael -

You have a lot of life to live in front of you....being 17 and all.

CONGRATULATIONS on the choices you have made. Take things a day at a time. Also, take time to reflect on your choices. Others might need some time to adjust. I wish I was like you at 17!!!!! You have the ability to lead a wholesome and HEALTHY life, which is fantastic!!!!! Your dietary choices are very admirable!!!

Even if your Mom cooks for you, maybe slowly explain your reasons for your dietary choices. She is probably used to the usual dietary customs, so it may take some time.

CONGRATS again!!!

Keep us informed about your progress.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#11 Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM

I agree with you, and they already know why I want to be Vegan. They make fun of it anyway. But I will show them that I am stronger and I can follow my dreams, and save the animals and the planet, because togheter we're invincible. Thanks guys!!!
Keep posting here more tips and how you became vegan.
I will keep you guys updated (:

Last edited by Rafael Borlido; 06-08-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: This post is better than the previous one (: Enjoy
#12 Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on making the decision to go vegan, even though I'm sure it will be hard for you! Be strong, you can do it! I was very lucky, I went vegetarian when I was twelve, and when my parents learned that the diet was very healthy, they were very supportive of me. It takes a while to adjust to eating differently than you did before, but once you transition, it is easier. Once you have been vegan for a while, your family will likely settle down a bit as they get used to you eating differently.

As for my story, the hardest part of being veg for me was when I studied abroad in Spain. I lived with a host family, who understood me wanting to eat less meat (they saw it as a health choice), but couldn't understand me avoiding it entirely. Since there was a language barrier between us (Spanish is not my first language), it made it even more difficult because it was hard to explain why I live the way I do (I don't want animals to suffer for my enjoyment). I just kept strong - I had to refuse to eat a few meals because they contained meat, and then my new family learned that I was serious and decided feeding me what I wanted was better than letting me starve. I taught my host mother a lot of new meals also, which was fun for both of us and made it easier on my new family to adjust to living with a veg. Do you cook many of your own meals? If you don't, cooking some of your own food might help ease some of the tension.

Tags
becoming vegan , help needed , tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page