Trouble exercising - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By ilikekale

#1 Old 05-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Trouble exercising

Hi, I'm a 19 year old who recently transitioned from a vegetarian diet to a vegan diet and I've noticed I'm lacking energy when I go to the gym. I've always been quite fit, but today at the gym my vision blurred and my hearing went for about 5 minutes. I've been eating enough protein and taking supplements for B12, problems which I was already warned about, but I'm still struggling. Anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you getting enough calories?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 05-26-2014, 03:37 PM

Think so, I include a lot of beans and things like quinoa in my diet because for a while I wasn't, but I'm still not sure if there's something else I could be missing? I'm also not sure if the supplements are very effective, but I'm trying to get iron and calcium at least from natural sources

#4 Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Blurred vision and hearing loss to me sounds like something much more than diet related. I would get myself checked out if I had these issues. That sounds very alarming!

That said, I am very sensitive to supplements (and drugs and chemicals) and it took me several brands and types before I found a B12 supplement I could tolerate. Some made me feel like I was jumping out of my skin or that every nerve was on fire. I would get dizzy spells too. Did you just start the supplements?
Vegan Dave likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta View Post
Hi, I'm a 19 year old who recently transitioned from a vegetarian diet to a vegan diet and I've noticed I'm lacking energy when I go to the gym. I've always been quite fit, but today at the gym my vision blurred and my hearing went for about 5 minutes. I've been eating enough protein and taking supplements for B12, problems which I was already warned about, but I'm still struggling. Anyone have any advice?
Hi vegeta. We get a similar question weekly here at the forum and it almost always turns out to be that the new vegan is accidently eating too few calories. You have to eat a lot of vegan food to get enough calories, especially if you're physically active.

If you have an eating disorder history, the losing hearing/blurry vision symptoms should send you to the doctor. Otherwise, there are sites and phone applications where you can plug in your daily foods and get the nutrition info.

Good luck!
#6 Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 AM
Bracing for snow

One additional thought. Are you drinking enough water? One sure way I know I'm dehydrated is my vision begins to blur. Dehydration can suck your energy too.

Ken
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#7 Old 05-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd speak to a registered dietitian if I were you but I think vision problems can be iron related. When my mom was pregnant with me she had temporary blind spells and the doctor had her double up on her iron vitamins, that solved the problem.
#8 Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

What the others said.....make sure you're OK from a medical perspective.

The THRIVE book by Bendan Brazier is a great vegan athletic resource.

GOOD LUCK

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

When I lack energy I blend my raw fit vegan protein powder with some berries and a banana a few dates and some almond milk add a few ice cubes and I'm good to go!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
#10 Old 05-29-2014, 05:05 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I agree with Naturebound that this could be something that needs to be checked on by a doctor. If it happens again, go and have a check-up with a full blood analysis. It could be completely unrelated to your diet. And the sooner you find out what it is, the better.

Tags
fitness , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page