Is Obama a good speaker? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
View Poll Results: Is Obama a good speaker?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Beginner

Watching his speech on Tuesday, I felt like his tone didn't change much. I feel like he lacks emotion. I'd say he's above average but wouldn't consider him good though. Then again, I haven't been impressed with too many politicians as speakers, so I may be the wrong one to ask this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Beginner

I think Obama is a great speaker, but there is a chance that this feeling is just relief of having GWB out of office.

I really like his conversational tone and how he really seems to know who his audience is. "Trust me, I get it" was one of my favorite parts. He also has an aura of trustworthiness that is really important right now.
#3 Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Beginner

His tone is really good and his projection is outstanding even without a microphone. But also, he doesn't pick one place in the audience and stare at it (this drives my nuts). Instead he moves and makes eye contact in different places, making it feel like he is talking to everyone. He also has well written speeches with good content.

So yeah, I think he's a good speaker!
#4 Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Beginner

I'm also curious where I can find the transcript of his speech?
#5 Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Beginner

I like him but I think he sounds a bit cliched and circa 1960's.

Kind of cross between Malcolm X and JFK or something.

#6 Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Beginner

I'm willing to bet he can pronounce "nuclear" too.
#7 Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I'm willing to bet he can pronounce "nuclear" too.

ROFL!
#8 Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

he's alright as a woofer but he makes a lousy tweeter.
#9 Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I consider him the most well spoken President in my lifetime.
#10 Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Beginner

After Eight years of Bush, Obama sounds great!

...but I doubt that he could dodge an airborne shoe!
#11 Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Beginner

I didn't think he gave a bad speech but did anyone notice this obvious mistake?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...ma.transcript/

"But we are committed to the goal of a re-tooled, re-imagined auto industry that can compete and win. Millions of jobs depend on it;scores of communities depend on it;and I believe the nation that invented the automobile cannot walk away from it."

The automobile was not invented by an American. I would have thought he'd do research prior to a speech of this importance. It's the only complaint I really have.
#12 Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Beginner

We all know Leonardo da Vinci was creating designs and models for transport vehicles back in the 15th Century, you can't fool us Mr. President!
#13 Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I'm also curious where I can find the transcript of his speech?

Um, Google?
#14 Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Red
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

I consider him the most well spoken President in my lifetime.

uhhh...

[youtube]ThEAO0lt4Dw[/youtube]
#15 Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Beginner

I think he's very well spoken, and yes, part of that is because of the contrast with W.

He's certainly a far more engaging orator than any of the current Canadian politicians. (Stephen Harper is an android!!! )

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#16 Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

he's alright as a woofer but he makes a lousy tweeter.

He's also a good "doy doy buckure buckure doy doy", but he's not a good "hoot hoot cuckoo hoot hoot cuckoo" imho
#17 Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Beginner

He gave an excellent speech which was a far cry from the drivel regularly spewed by the prior occupant of the office. Nobody is perfect, but the man is quite obviously a far more capable orator than most of our current politicians.
#18 Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Being better than Bush isn't nuch of a claim to fame and is getting pretty old.

It's time for people to start looking to Obama as the President rather than the guy who succeeded Bush. Obama should do the same.
#19 Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

Being better than Bush isn't nuch of a claim to fame and is getting pretty old.

It's time for people to start looking to Obama as the President rather than the guy who succeeded Bush. Obama should do the same.

what makes you think he is only thinking of himself as the guy that succeeded Bush? speak with him lately?
#20 Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

what makes you think he is only thinking of himself as the guy that succeeded Bush? speak with him lately?

?

I don't need to speak with him to hear what he says in press conferences and State of the Union addresses.

I have high hopes for Obama, but Obama supporters constantly throwing rocks at Bush and Obama himself frequently reminding us that her "inherited" all of our problems doesn't do a damn thing to make thinks better. The campaign is over. It's time to move forward.
#21 Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Beginner

I guess he needs to remind people that he inherited problems when the opposition party seems to want the American people to believe that history began on January 20, 2009. I don't really think Obama is relying upon that crutch in a big way and that he has picked his spots. i don't see HIM doing it 'frequently'.

as far as throwing rocks at Bush is concerned, I believe the man will never have to endure all the rocks that he deserves because they seem to just bounce of that granite like head of his

Obama is a pretty good orator in his own right and no comparison to his impaired predecessor is really necessary as far as that is concerned.
#22 Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Beginner

He's great! For sure the best in the past 20-30 years imo. When he speaks it doesn't sound scripted, he uses words and phrases that he uses in normal conversations, he also uses speech patterns that are easy to listen to and comprehend. The pauses he incorporates really allow for listeners to absorb what he is communicating.
#23 Old 02-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Red
Beginner

Quote:

I have high hopes for Obama, but Obama supporters constantly throwing rocks at Bush and Obama himself frequently reminding us that her "inherited" all of our problems doesn't do a damn thing to make thinks better. The campaign is over. It's time to move forward.

It's funny - I was watching Obama's budget guy last night on McNeil-Lehrer. He kept using the Reagan era as his point of reference - "this is the same rate as at the end of RR's term", "that's what it was under RR", etc.

Judy Woodruff finally asks him straightout - "You've mentioned the Reagan administration a few times. Is that a model for what you were doing here?"

He gets that scrunchy look - "Umm, uh, no. Not at all."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/busin...zag_02-26.html
#24 Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:

?

Well said.

He does pause a lot, and use fillers, like "uhhh." I'm more interested to see if all this talk is really going to mean anything... Anyone can get up there and talk and say they're going to do something and are going to make the economy better. But, will he follow through and actually be able to do that? I sure hope so.
#25 Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:

?

I don't need to speak with him to hear what he says in press conferences and State of the Union addresses.

It's crucial to remember how we got here, our country is in bad shape and Obama has a lot he has to deal with because of the past eight years. He's already done a lot to try and rebuild trust abroad, Gitmo is a really big deal because of our human rights violations. For a month he's done an incredible job especially considering all the burden he has inherited.
#26 Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It's crucial to remember how we got here, our country is in bad shape and Obama has a lot he has to deal with because of the past eight years.

That's fine. It's been established. When people dwell on it it sounds like they're already preparing to make excuses for more failure.

Quote:
He's already done a lot to try and rebuild trust abroad, Gitmo is a really big deal because of our human rights violations. For a month he's done an incredible job especially considering all the burden he has inherited.

I think you should start a thread where you highlight these achievements for people to discuss.
#27 Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Did you hear his speech this morning?

If you want to see what he is doing go to whitehouse.gov. It's all laid out what he has done and is planning to do. : )
#28 Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Beginner

#29 Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:

It's crucial to remember how we got here, our country is in bad shape and Obama has a lot he has to deal with because of the past eight years. He's already done a lot to try and rebuild trust abroad, Gitmo is a really big deal because of our human rights violations. For a month he's done an incredible job especially considering all the burden he has inherited.

Also, it's not just the past 8 years... the start of all those bad mortgages were approved during the administration before that (Clinton). And remember that Bush, and McCain in fact, tried to get Congress to put an end to Freddi and Fanny, as they knew this crisis would happen. But no one wanted to listen... they just wanted to see the economy thrive at that time, and get all of their monetary cuts from Freddie and Fanny and weren't worried about the future of the economy. So it cannot be blamed on just the "past eight years" anyway.

And, since Obama is our President now, I really do hope he can do something. I am not so confident in this ridiculous debt he is continuing to create and some of the things he has snuck into the "stimulus plan," but obviously i have no say in that, so whatever.

I feel like some people think he is the next savior or something though. And I think if things don't get better, then people are going to say, "Well, it was so bad from Bush, no one could have turned the economy around." And then if Obama does do something good, well then, there it is for those people who are such devout supporters... It is confirmed... he is here to save the world...

It's like he can do no wrong.

Well, I have completely gotten off topic about his speaking abilities... my apologies. I'm done now.
#30 Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

I voted no. He speaks clearly and well but it just doesn't do anything for me. He's as much or more of a robot as they Al Gore is. He doesn't seem to show any emotion. And I get the impression he's a little stuck on himself. Particularly when it comes to these bailouts and spending plans, he's lying right to our faces and thinks we're dumb enough to believe it. He goes on and on about how he's going to stop the pork and not saddle our children with massive amounts of debt and yet they're spending like nobody's business. I'm not going to get into a political debate so I'll just leave it at that. Whatever. I'm just thankful I still have a job.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page