the Bible - Page 4 - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

This "abyss of beauty and understanding" wouldn't be anything substantial beyond the ideas within your own head now would it?

Isn't that the point?

Unless your idea of a 'spiritual life' includes more physical manifestations than your actual spiritual experiences, which would be, by definition, non physical.

(and you still haven't answered us on where you found that biblical quote, which obviously wasn't from the gospels)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

In addition to what mazikeen said, the Old Testament conveys the requirements of God of His people and points forward to the coming Messiah, and the New Testament (from a Christian perspective) is the revelation of that Messiah and through the words of Jesus, illustrates how mankind is unable to meet those requirements. For example, the Ten Commandments say "Thou shalt not commit adultrey", and Jesus says "If you even look at a woman with lust in your heart, you have already committed adultery in your mind". I think that He was pointing out that even rigorous self watching will fail to meet Gods requirements. And that is where Christ comes in. He offers to be mankinds spokesman to God and offers to accept any punishments deemed necessary for bad behaviour.

So the New Testament was not a re-write because folks didn't want to look like the bad guy, it is more of a "furthermore" kind of collection of letters and teachings.

Don't you mean "scrap that, we don't think that anymore"? That's what I hear all of the time and according to what you said the very concept of the New Testament, defies the existence of God. What omnipotent and omniscient being would order his/her creations to follow the laws of a book which he commanded to be written and then take hundreds of years until he/she realized "Oops! This isn't working!" Omnipotence? I think not.

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...
#93 Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Beginner

But you won't even use the Internet to find that verse again. You've said that Jesus said something He hasn't said, then you backpedaled once I asked you for the verse. Wasted words indeed. I'd better bite my tongue and save it for someone who can back their arguments.

Quote:

If you knew me better you'd bite your tongue trying to hold back the wasted words. I'm quite aware of the intricacies of various religions around the world, however it's pompous to judge one's general understanding on any religion on the knowing the exact words, phrasing and location of specific passages within any particular religious scriptures. I wouldn't think I'm the only to say that I can't even do that with my favorite books, those I DO own.

However this doesn't go without saying that hearing of these religions hasn't changed my outlook on things, however this change took place long ago and only reinforces my stalwart views that I express to you now, so don't take me or anyone else you don't know for that matter for ignorant.

To assume is foolish, to assume the improbable is suicidal.

#94 Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

whoa, i think perhaps a little on line research would relieve you of the misinformation you've been given. Jesus didn't say anything akin to what you've 'been told'. his words are (allegedly) contained in the Gospels. there are passages in the Old Testament might be like what you were told about. but Jesus wasn't the author of the Bible, neither the New Testament or Old Testament. his words are contained in the Gospels reported by the aforementioned Apostles in the New Testament.

It wasn't as if I was fed misinformation from some shady underground source. I opened a book and read it with my own two eyes, what need have I to question what I saw myself and do research that might disprove what I clearly saw? If your desire is for me to cite my sources, than clearly this search is an effort to find answers for you. I'm not condoning laziness, so if you want to question what I read, it's up to you to look further into it as it's not my responsibility to prove anything to you when it's up to you whether to believe me or not.

And quite honestly I'd think it would be foolhardy to question this type of passage's existence. With so many versions and translations and editions, it's no wonder the idea of religion these days is as shaky as a three-legged chair.

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...
#95 Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:

To assume is foolish, to assume the improbable is suicidal.

Methinks attributing improbability thereto is assuming by definition.

Quote:

it's no wonder the idea of religion these days is as shaky as a three-legged chair

not necessarily shaky
#96 Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:

It wasn't as if I was fed misinformation from some shady underground source.

Man, I can't even remember what your quote was, but I can remember that it was bull****. And I am definitely no less an atheist than yourself.
#97 Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

tl;dr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page