Should boxing be banned? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Beginner
 
Eco_Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 223
I noticed a thread about this, here, but about three years ago so I thought i'd just make a new one.



Many of the people on this previous thread clearly had a revulsion towards this sport and said it should be banned.



For me, boxing is my sport and has made me into a better athlete and a better person, and I believe it has done this for hundreds of people.



However, evidently some people disagree, so I'd like to hear any arguments for or against boxing if anyone has strong opinions.



THanks
Eco_Jihadist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
I believe the kind of boxing we see at the pro-level should be banned. But Olympic boxing, with the bigger gloves and the headgear requirement is ok in my books. And the shorter rounds and less rounds.



Olympic boxing rocks!
Mr. Sun is offline  
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Beginner
 
Eco_Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I believe the kind of boxing we see at the pro-level should be banned. But Olympic boxing, with the bigger gloves and the headgear requirement is ok in my books. And the shorter rounds and less rounds.



Olympic boxing rocks!

Hi Mr Sun



But should boxing not be to the choice of the individual...okay i agree that people shouldnt be free to do literally whatever stupid thing they want, like join a suicide cult or w/e but what is it about boxing that is so bad it needs to be banned?





Is it safety? If so, boxing should hardly be your priority; many sports out there are far more dangerous in terms of actual death and lasting damage...horse racing, football, rugby, pretty much all extreme sports to name a few. Also remember the general fitness aspects, possibly in rare cirumstances the self defence will have prolonged many lives also...





Or is it simply the intention that its horrible for people to hurt each other when they arent enemies by any other means?
Eco_Jihadist is offline  
#4 Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Bof
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Jihadist View Post




But should boxing not be to the choice of the individual...okay i agree that people shouldnt be free to do literally whatever stupid thing they want



In my book, trying to cause brain damage to another sentient being is classified as 'a stupid thing.'

And, where I live, the cost of looking after a brain damaged person is borne by the entire society.
Bof is offline  
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Beginner
 
Eco_Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 223
I'm wondering if any of the people opinionated against boxing have any experience with it...



I say this because the critics of boxing are virtually never boxers or even seem to have been involved with boxing; the boxers (even the tiny unlucky minority who have had lasting damage) dont regret being boxers but the non boxers are upset about it!





And again...boxing is by far overtaken in terms of danger by many other sports and pastimes
Eco_Jihadist is offline  
#6 Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Beginner
 
Fenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 452
Brain damage can occur in any situation where someone risks getting a concussion, IE basically everything that's fun, from football to snowboarding. As long as people are educated about the risks, it's no business of mine what they do. I'd rather ban MMA, but that's mainly because I don't get any jollies watching two guys trying to mount each other on the ground for twenty minutes.



Also, here's Ali weighing in:

Quote:
According to the documentary When We Were Kings, when Ali was asked about whether he has any regrets about boxing due to his disability, he responded that if he didn't box he would still be a painter in Louisville, Kentucky.

Fenguin is offline  
#7 Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
I think dangerous plays in other sports should be banned. I've hated, for years, when d-men in hockey go head hunting. I also hate when safeties (or other d-men) in football try to annihilate the receiver crossing into the middle. They should go for the ball or just make the tackle.



Olympic boxing rules!!!



Ban this:



[youtube]TdSZjBulFfw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdSZjBulFfw
Mr. Sun is offline  
#8 Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenguin View Post

Brain damage can occur in any situation where someone risks getting a concussion, IE basically everything that's fun, from football to snowboarding. As long as people are educated about the risks, it's no business of mine what they do. I'd rather ban MMA, but that's mainly because I don't get any jollies watching two guys trying to mount each other on the ground for twenty minutes.



Also, here's Ali weighing in:



Bolded: so you'd have no problem bringing back bare knuckle boxing or sword fighting to death?
Mr. Sun is offline  
#9 Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Bof
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Jihadist View Post




And again...boxing is by far overtaken in terms of danger by many other sports and pastimes



Deliberately trying to cause serious injury to someone is not comparable to someone being accidentally injured whilst engaged in a sporting activity.

Comparing the two situations is disingenuous in the extreme.
Bof is offline  
#10 Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Beginner
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,150
You need to put stuff in something.



Marie is offline  
#11 Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

You need to put stuff in something.






*groans*
Mr. Sun is offline  
#12 Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
i wondered who 'boxing' was for a minute. then i clued in.



um.... i haven't pondered too long or hard about it, but at first thought, i feel that if two sane and mentally competant adults want spend their time training and practicing how best to punch each other to the point of passing out (and potentially dying), they've got private healthcare coverage and insurance- so i don't have to pay for any injury they incur, plus i don't have to watch, its not heavily advertised or publicised and made into a big cool thing for small boys to aspire too, hero worship and emulate in the playground, and they're not acting like arrogant macho idiots and punching other random people or biting off their ears outside of the ring, they should knock themselves out.



so from that super-run-on sentance, i've ascertained that my concerns aren't for them, but for everyone else.



boxing really holds no appeal to me.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#13 Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Beginner
 
guinnesshero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,510
I dont watch boxing but I dont think it should be banned. If being stupid was the criteria for banning then they should ban this http://www.stupid.com/fun/PPUT.html
guinnesshero is offline  
#14 Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Beginner
 
pandora9kry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 507
Ban boxing? Um...no. That concept honestly sounds so ludicrous to me that I thought this thread was a joke or something.



If you banned boxing, mixed martial arts fighting would probably be banned also. And my boyfriend and I watch all the UFC pay-per-view events. If guys want to fight, let them fight! Or girls, for that matter.



If you're going to start deciding for people what's "bad" for them, we'll end up in a freaky future society like that movie Demolition Man, where salt, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, smoking, physical contact, sex, meat and non-educational toys are illegal.



Where do you draw the line?
pandora9kry is offline  
#15 Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

Ban boxing? Um...no. That concept honestly sounds so ludicrous to me that I thought this thread was a joke or something.



If you banned boxing, mixed martial arts fighting would probably be banned also. And my boyfriend and I watch all the UFC pay-per-view events. If guys want to fight, let them fight! Or girls, for that matter.



If you're going to start deciding for people what's "bad" for them, we'll end up in a freaky future society like that movie Demolition Man, where salt, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, smoking, physical contact, sex, meat and non-educational toys are illegal.



Where do you draw the line?



The line has already been drawn. Bare-knuckle boxing is illegal. As is to-the-death sword-fighting. And cocaine. And dog-fighting (in the US). Lots of things are already illegal.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#16 Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Beginner
 
Fenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Bolded: so you'd have no problem bringing back bare knuckle boxing or sword fighting to death?



Hell yeah I want to see some swordfights. Let's put that samurai vs. medieval knight debate to rest once and for all.
Fenguin is offline  
#17 Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Mr. Sun is offline  
#18 Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Kiz
Beginner
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
No, boxing should not be banned. I like the idea of sword fighting though. That would be cool.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#19 Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Beginner
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,676
^^ I like her thinking.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#20 Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Beginner
 
Eco_Jihadist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Deliberately trying to cause serious injury to someone is not comparable to someone being accidentally injured whilst engaged in a sporting activity.

Comparing the two situations is disingenuous in the extreme.

But surely this is just the intention between two people that you dont like....for practical purposes danger isnt more likely to happen then in many other sports
Eco_Jihadist is offline  
#21 Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Beginner
 
rainforests1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,204
I tend to have mostly pacifist leanings, so I would say I dislike the sport. However, as long as the people do it by choice, I don't see any reason it should be banned.
rainforests1 is offline  
#22 Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Beginner
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i wondered who 'boxing' was for a minute. then i clued in.



um.... i haven't pondered too long or hard about it, but at first thought, i feel that if two sane and mentally competant adults want spend their time training and practicing how best to punch each other to the point of passing out (and potentially dying), they've got private healthcare coverage and insurance- so i don't have to pay for any injury they incur, plus i don't have to watch, its not heavily advertised or publicised and made into a big cool thing for small boys to aspire too, hero worship and emulate in the playground, and they're not acting like arrogant macho idiots and punching other random people or biting off their ears outside of the ring, they should knock themselves out.



so from that super-run-on sentance, i've ascertained that my concerns aren't for them, but for everyone else.



boxing really holds no appeal to me.





Somebody's thinking like a moderator...



I agree with the rest of the post. If two people want to beat the crap out of each other with mutual consent, then let em.
Brandon is offline  
#23 Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Beginner
 
sybaritik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,063
I do think it should be banned, firstly from a medical perspective, and secondly from a social standpoint....I don't think people beating the **** out of each other should be considered a sport.
sybaritik is offline  
#24 Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
^^^ we could replace boxing with bogsnorkelling in the olympics. it'd totally watch that.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#25 Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Beginner
 
pandora9kry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

The line has already been drawn. Bare-knuckle boxing is illegal. As is to-the-death sword-fighting. And cocaine. And dog-fighting (in the US). Lots of things are already illegal.



It's strange to me that bare-knuckle boxing is illegal and mixed martial arts isn't, though I've never seen a bare-knuckle boxing match, I doubt it's any less vicious than watching Wanderlei Silva beat someone up in a UFC match.



Anyway, my point was that ENOUGH things are illegal, let's not make more of them. As a rule, there are exceptions to every rule.
pandora9kry is offline  
#26 Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Beginner
 
DeFacto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Car-racing seems to have caused a rather large number of casualties in its history (spectators as well as drivers)
DeFacto is offline  
#27 Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFacto View Post

Car-racing seems to have caused a rather large number of casualties in its history (spectators as well as drivers)



if the aim of car racing was to ram your vehicle into the other driver (or the crowd), knocking them out cold or otherwise injuring them and rendering them unable to continue driving in the race through the use of violence... would it still be legal?
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#28 Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

It's strange to me that bare-knuckle boxing is illegal and mixed martial arts isn't, though I've never seen a bare-knuckle boxing match, I doubt it's any less vicious than watching Wanderlei Silva beat someone up in a UFC match.



Anyway, my point was that ENOUGH things are illegal, let's not make more of them. As a rule, there are exceptions to every rule.



I just don't find this a convincing argument one way or the other. I think an issue, such as boxing, should be debated on its own merits, rather than saying that enough things are illegal so the line must be at a good place.



So where exactly would you like to see the line? Would you like to see bare-knuckle boxing brought back? Or sword-fighting to the death? Or would you like the line to go the other way so that MMA is banned?



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really see any good arguments being made in favor of boxing except "if two consenting adults...". I think that is a weak argument unless one would accept bare-knuckle boxing, sword-fighting etc. And if not, then the merits of boxing must be made where those merits are distinguished from bare-knuckle boxing etc.



I believe that Olympic boxing has sufficient safe-guards (larger gloves, shorter rounds, less rounds) to protect the athletes from harm in the vast majority of the cases. The arguments put forth by Eco-J all apply to Olympic boxing but the safe-guards don't apply to pro boxing.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Jihadist View Post


For me, boxing is my sport and has made me into a better athlete and a better person, and I believe it has done this for hundreds of people.



THanks

Mr. Sun is offline  
#29 Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Beginner
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,956
Quote:
The death of American boxer Leavander Johnson has led to calls for a change in the way the sport is monitored.



Two months after Mexican Martin Sanchez died from boxing injuries, Johnson failed to recover from brain surgery following his IBF loss to Jesus Chavez.



"Something is wrong," said Margaret Goodman, head of the medical advisory board to Nevada's boxing commission.



"I don't know what, but we need to re-evaluate the entire way we approach the testing and treatment of boxers."



Goodman entered the ring at the end of the 10th round to check Johnson but saw no reason to stop the fight.



http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/4275652.stm



And there are many others if you do an internet search.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#30 Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Beginner
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

bogsnorkelling ...

Do I want to know what bogsnorkelling is???

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off