Child Predator Kills Self, Family Sue NBC for $100 Million - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,871
Quote:
A $100 million lawsuit claiming that NBC prompted the suicide of a former Texas prosecutor who was caught up in its popular sting series "To Catch a Predator" is moving ahead after a ruling by a U.S. federal judge on Tuesday.



Louis Conradt, a 56-year-old assistant district attorney, shot himself in November 2006 after he was confronted at his Terrell, Texas, home by police officers. They were accompanied by an NBC news crew that was there to film his arrest.



"To Catch a Predator," a segment of NBC's "Dateline" newsmagazine program, lures men to a house with hidden cameras in the belief that they are about to have sexual relations with underage girls or boys. There, they are confronted by the program's host and promptly arrested. In Conradt's case, he was expecting to meet up with a 13-year-old boy.



Critics of the show say it is a form of entrapment, and they have questioned NBC's partnership on the series with an online vigilante group called Perverted-Justice.



Full story...



http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080226/...nbc_lawsuit_dc

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Michael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Beginner
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
Man shows up someplace to have sex with 13 year old boy.... gets caught.... people find out about it.... kills self.



Seems like if he never tried to screw a 13 year old, it never would've happened. Considering different crime reports make the news papers (and what the people did).... dateline or not, if he'd of been caught he'd of made the news.





[however.........]

I do have a little problem with that show in a way.... never do know if what the people say they do is what they're really doing (ex: do the people really say what they say they say, or is it faked). I remember a few of their cases where it sure did seem like the "actor" playing the part of a young girl/boy was trying to get the person to say or do something; although most that I saw the person seemed to jump right in on the sex talk (of course editing helps there I'm sure).
JLRodgers is offline  
#3 Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Beginner
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,817
Quote:
Conradt's sister, Patricia Conradt, sued the network, saying "Dateline" was responsible for his death and the harm to his reputation.



I'd say he harmed his own reputation by being a perv.
Wolfie is offline  
#4 Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Beginner
 
Kraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Man shows up someplace to have sex with 13 year old boy.... gets caught.... people find out about it.... kills self.



Seems like if he never tried to screw a 13 year old, it never would've happened. Considering different crime reports make the news papers (and what the people did).... dateline or not, if he'd of been caught he'd of made the news.





Not defending predators just trying to get the facts correct.



The article makes no claim that Conradt went to the house of the 13 year old "boy". In fact there was no "boy", it was just a false front setup by NBC to trap predators for their TV show "Dateline". While Conrad appears to have interacted with the fake "boy" over the Internet, Conradt never went to the "boy's" house despite attempts by NBC to lure Conradt there. Since Conradt never went to the "boy's" house, NBC went to Conradt's house to confront him and Conradt committed suicide while NBC & police were at his door.



http://www.terrelltribune.com/articl...ews/news05.txt
Kraut is offline  
#5 Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Beginner
 
frenchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post

Not defending predators just trying to get the facts correct.



The article makes no claim that Conradt went to the house of the 13 year old "boy". In fact there was no "boy", it was just a false front setup by NBC to trap predators for their TV show "Dateline". While Conrad appears to have interacted with the fake "boy" over the Internet, Conradt never went to the "boy's" house despite attempts by NBC to lure Conradt there. Since Conradt never went to the "boy's" house, NBC went to Conradt's house to confront him and Conradt committed suicide while NBC & police were at his door.



http://www.terrelltribune.com/articl...ews/news05.txt



Rolling Stone had a 10 page article on this story last year. After reading it, I was left with such a heavy heart. I kind of feel that NBC should be held accountable. The guy never showed up, and at one point stopped chatting with the non-existant boy all together. The "boy" kept contacting him and trying really hard to get him to come over, and he never did. The people involved were hell bent on trying to get this guy to comply, because he was a very respected man in his community.

On the other hand, who knows what he was capable of.
frenchie is offline  
#6 Old 02-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Beginner
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut View Post

Not defending predators just trying to get the facts correct.



The article makes no claim that Conradt went to the house of the 13 year old "boy". In fact there was no "boy", it was just a false front setup by NBC to trap predators for their TV show "Dateline". While Conrad appears to have interacted with the fake "boy" over the Internet, Conradt never went to the "boy's" house despite attempts by NBC to lure Conradt there. Since Conradt never went to the "boy's" house, NBC went to Conradt's house to confront him and Conradt committed suicide while NBC & police were at his door.



http://www.terrelltribune.com/articl...ews/news05.txt





Not showing up's different (the original article was a tad vague there -- it could be interpreted as he showed up to meet the "boy" and managed to escape, or he never showed up, or he just drove by the house and went home and the police followed him there).
JLRodgers is offline  
#7 Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Beginner
 
Kraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

Not showing up's different (the original article was a tad vague there -- it could be interpreted as he showed up to meet the "boy" and managed to escape, or he never showed up, or he just drove by the house and went home and the police followed him there).



Yeah, the original article was not well written. Easy to conclude that the guy went to the boy's house.



Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

Rolling Stone had a 10 page article on this story last year. After reading it, I was left with such a heavy heart. I kind of feel that NBC should be held accountable. The guy never showed up, and at one point stopped chatting with the non-existant boy all together. The "boy" kept contacting him and trying really hard to get him to come over, and he never did. The people involved were hell bent on trying to get this guy to comply, because he was a very respected man in his community.

On the other hand, who knows what he was capable of.



That reflects even worse on NBC. Without a known prior predatory history or some legal point stemming from his Internet actions, my opinion is NBC should be held accountable for stalking/badgering the guy and maybe for contributing to his death. It's one thing to "find" a predator but perhaps NBC went too far in this case and tried to create one?
Kraut is offline  
#8 Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Beginner
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

On the other hand, who knows what he was capable of.



That is why the Criminal Test is 'beyond a reasonable doubt' which Dateline NBC and Perverted Justice do not respect.



If you visit the Wiki page, which I expected to be filled with the usual junk, it is surprisingly straightforward in reporting that this 'sting' operation was essentially an illegal set-up.



"On June 1, 2007, the Collin County District Attorney's office announced that it would not pursue any of the indictments that To Catch a Predator had netted. Officials from the DA's office believed that cases were riddled with errors. More problematically, it appeared that nearly all of the investigative work had been done by Perverted-Justice and Dateline, with the police only playing the role of the arresting force. In its response, PJ said it had complied with the DA, offered assistance and evidence, but had found the DA to be corrupt and lazy."



I'm not going to defend a kid-toucher, but I can't defend NBC or Perverted Justice in this instance either.
GhostUser is offline  
#9 Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Beginner
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Well, NBC and Perverted Justice are not state or federal law enforcement agencies. The investigations should have never just been left up to them.
froggythefrog is offline  
#10 Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Beginner
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Well, NBC and Perverted Justice are not state or federal law enforcement agencies. The investigations should have never just been left up to them.



Are you insinuating that there was something to investigate which was not pursued, or that we should leave investigation up to those agencies whose mandate it is to investigate?
GhostUser is offline  
#11 Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Beginner
 
Veggily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,868
I read all the links and am still wondering what crime they were trying to arrest him for. I assume one can't be guilty of pedophilia just because the other party is pretending to be a minor. In the link Kraut posted, it mentioned two other people were arrested. Yeah, arrested, perhaps, but convicted? And this guy didn't even want to continue the relationship? If these people were really concerned about getting pedophiles off the street, wouldn't they choose better, iron-clad legal, methods to catch people?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Veggily is offline  
#12 Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Beginner
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

Are you insinuating that there was something to investigate which was not pursued, or that we should leave investigation up to those agencies whose mandate it is to investigate?



Ouch... you're making me think. That hurts.



If there are going to be police rushing to the scene to make arrests, there's an obligation on the part of the government to do their own investigation. Somehow I feel that a TV show doing this job is a lot like one telling another kid that he's going to show him Mom's cake, smashing the kid's face into it and then yelling, "Hey everybody! Look! Fred's eating the cake Mom made for tonight."
froggythefrog is offline  
#13 Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Beginner
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Well, in that scenario, the kid didn't express an initial interest in the cake he had no business lusting after, and the only potential damage is ruined cake.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#14 Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Beginner
 
frenchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

That is why the Criminal Test is 'beyond a reasonable doubt' which Dateline NBC and Perverted Justice do not respect.



If you visit the Wiki page, which I expected to be filled with the usual junk, it is surprisingly straightforward in reporting that this 'sting' operation was essentially an illegal set-up.



"On June 1, 2007, the Collin County District Attorney's office announced that it would not pursue any of the indictments that To Catch a Predator had netted. Officials from the DA's office believed that cases were riddled with errors. More problematically, it appeared that nearly all of the investigative work had been done by Perverted-Justice and Dateline, with the police only playing the role of the arresting force. In its response, PJ said it had complied with the DA, offered assistance and evidence, but had found the DA to be corrupt and lazy."



I'm not going to defend a kid-toucher, but I can't defend NBC or Perverted Justice in this instance either.

I SO wish that I could find that article. It had a detailed time line of events and interviews with the "kid", who, by the way, has NO remorse at all. Interviews with other people involved with the sting. It was quite informative.
frenchie is offline  
#15 Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Beginner
 
AutomaticMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 487
Well, at least the sick **** won't be doing anything anymore. Pathetic that the family are suing, his removal from the gene pool is a good thing. Fools.
AutomaticMan is offline  
#16 Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Beginner
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Well, at least the sick **** won't be doing anything anymore. Pathetic that the family are suing, his removal from the gene pool is a good thing. Fools.



Except that there is no proof he did anything untoward.
GhostUser is offline  
#17 Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Beginner
 
Annikat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

Well, at least the sick **** won't be doing anything anymore. Pathetic that the family are suing, his removal from the gene pool is a good thing. Fools.



Do we even have proof he did something to begin with?



And be careful about smiling upon death because you never know when death might be smiling upon you.....
Annikat is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off