Beginner

I could have used more cowbell.
#3 Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Beginner

I bet this Bush has a higher approval rating

~Wondre
#4 Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Beginner

A certain SFP member got in big trouble for posting an uncensored but rather harmless video in the thread... but this is okay? wowsers.

Anyway, I think PETA could have done better.
#5 Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Beginner

Umm - what did she say?

m8itcanw8.com
#6 Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

A certain SFP member got in big trouble for posting an uncensored but rather harmless video in the thread... but this is okay? wowsers.

I think that's one of the very few advantages of being a boards admin. You can do what you want.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

I think that's one of the very few advantages of being a boards admin. You can do what you want.

Yeah, I gathered that. heh.

I didn't hear everything she was saying, either.
#8 Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Beginner

I think the Goldfinger song is really moving, but most people would not be forwarding it or watching the animal footage unless it was attached to something "shocking" or funny/campy that PETA was doing. I think they're *really* good marketers, as evidenced by the fact that it was posted here as something interesting/controversial/silly/whatever to discuss. Everything taken into account, I think the net effect for the animals is positive.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 01-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Funny - and then sad. I hate watching that footage but at the same time it always strengthens my convictions.
#10 Old 01-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Anyway, I think PETA could have done better.

There's no nudity in the video posted on this site. I'm not sure what the problem is. I told the moderators they could remove the link if they want.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#11 Old 01-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

There's no nudity in the video posted on this site. I'm not sure what the problem is. I told the moderators they could remove the link if they want.

She put the youtube video directly on her post, but from what we understood, she couldn't even link to it. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
#12 Old 01-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Beginner

I removed the link.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Beginner

That was actually pretty boring. Even the uncensored one.
#14 Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Red
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

That was actually pretty boring. Even the uncensored one.

It would've been more interesting if somewhere along the way she'd pulled out a dancing carrot.
#15 Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Beginner

she couldve worn matching underwear!!!
#16 Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Beginner

I wonder if PETA knows that for people to listen, you don't have to take your clothes off. it's not like the guys that enjoyed watching that were actually listening to her. I should know I let Ryan watch it then asked him about it and he admitted he wasn't listening.
#17 Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

she couldve worn matching underwear!!!

I don't think you can buy matching panty and bra sets at Nordstrom on a PETA salary.
#18 Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I think Peta has reached a low-time low. They're really going down the drain.

I certainly have nothing against nudity. I think nudity is beautiful. But this State of the Union Undress is sexist and stupid.

Screw PeTA. I'm going home.
#19 Old 01-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I certainly have nothing against nudity. I think nudity is beautiful. But this State of the Union Undress is sexist and stupid.

Yup. I reckon Peta are contributing to as many problems as they are trying to solve. Women shouldn't have to feel like they have to take their clothes off in order for their political messages to be heard.
#20 Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

She looked very uncomfortable. I wasn't impressed.
#21 Old 01-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Beginner

And yet...people watched it. Enough to see if it was "boring" until the end, "sexist," whether she had matching underwear, etc. If people are talking about it, some will eventually be thinking about it - some will watch the footage at the end - and even if they don't like PETA, will be exposed to some AR info, and PETA's name and videos. It is very difficult to get the attention of the public when there is so much competing for attention.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#22 Old 01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

And yet...people watched it. Enough to see if it was "boring" until the end, "sexist," whether she had matching underwear, etc. If people are talking about it, some will eventually be thinking about it - some will watch the footage at the end - and even if they don't like PETA, will be exposed to some AR info, and PETA's name and videos. It is very difficult to get the attention of the public when there is so much competing for attention.

There should be some sort of appeal to reason. If your message must be delivered by a woman dehumanizing herself then perhaps your message is flawed.
#23 Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Those who watched it (I'm talking about those who are not already convinced) will forever have linked in their mind a shaved woman doing a strip-tease (and a very bad strip tease) and animals being exploited.

This will do more harm than good. It not only harms the animals to be linked to women as sexual objects, but it also harms the cause of feminism.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I AM a South Park fan. "Screw peta. I'm going home."

I never sent these guys any money, but I did buy a couple of t-shirts from them once. The once will not become a twice.

(Obviously, it's not only THIS video that has made me find Peta offensive. This is just the drop in the vase that makes the water overflow. But it's one HELLUVA big drop).
#24 Old 01-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Beginner

I don't happen to think she "dehumanized" herself, nor was she exploited. I think adult women can make their own choices - I doubt she was even paid for it (i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if she even thought it up and volunteered for it. People who don't do much if any activism have a hard time understanding that often people do things for a cause they believe in because they really want to). I think some of you take it waaaay too seriously.

The fact remains that, using whatever tactics they've come up with, like them or hate them, PETA has turned more people veg than any other group. And many people who may not like them at first still wind up at their website looking through their videos.

This video wasn't necessarily my style, but it's performing its stated function.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 01-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Beginner

She mantioned Pamela Anderson being topless in a shop window in London to say I'd rather show skin than wear skin.

Do you think people really said to themselves "Wow. I don't want to wear fur/leather after seeing that." or did they say "Wow. Nice hooters"

I don't think it gets people to hear the message--they just remember the nudity. It is like those ads where the advert is really funny/really interesting and you remember the ad but not the product it was selling. You know like "which car commercial was that where the choir made all the car sounds?" It was really neat---but can't tell you what the car they want me to buy is.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#26 Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Beginner

I think the problem with videos like this, in addition to the sexism, is that I think the people most likely to become veg*ns aren't the men who will be excited about this video, but people who have a generally progressive mindset. And those people will have a distaste for PETA due to their feminist beliefs.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#27 Old 01-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Beginner

Granted, this is a veg*n board and all, but as Jen observed this morning, does anyone else think it's interesting that there's a thread about PETA's state of the union address, but not one about Bush's?

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#28 Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Granted, this is a veg*n board and all, but as Jen observed this morning, does anyone else think it's interesting that there's a thread about PETA's state of the union address, but not one about Bush's?

I think no-one is interested in Bush anymore. Everyone is waiting impatiently for him to get off the scene once and for all so we can forget about him and never see his stupid mutt ever again.

The less he is spoken about, the better for most people's mental health.
#29 Old 01-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Has he actually said anything new?
#30 Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

I think no-one is interested in Bush anymore. Everyone is waiting impatiently for him to get off the scene once and for all so we can forget about him and never see his stupid mutt ever again.

Yeah. I couldn't give a crap about his state of the union BS. It's meaningless now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page