Should boxing be outlawed? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2005, 05:18 AM

Boxing is dangerous. It glorifies physical violence. It causes injury and death. I hate it. Should boxing be outlawed? Discuss.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2005, 05:22 AM

Personally, I don't see the point in outlawing something because you don't like it. It's not like those people suffering from injuries don't want to be there.
#3 Old 06-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Banned

I would prefer it if there was no boxing at all really. But, amateur boxing where they wear protective head gear and aren't playing for financial reward I think is acceptable, but I believe professional boxing should be banned world-wide.
#4 Old 06-12-2005, 07:09 AM

I agree it's dangerous and stupid. But I don't think that outlawing things in general solves problems.

Look, we've outlawed murder and that still happens. We've outlawed drugs, and people still take them. Kidnapping, car theft....etc etc have all been outlawed. And yet, we still have problems.

So my question is, is outlawing more things the answer? Our system of crime and punishment doesn't seem to be working all that well (sorry, the US system of crime and punishment), and in fact, a hefty number of minorities (70% of the prison population?--which seems...just a BIT unbalanced) are serving time.

I just think people should be tought to not want to beat each other bloody.

B
#5 Old 06-12-2005, 07:22 AM

I don't think it should be glorified, it is just modern day gladiator games. But the opulent few realise they can make huge amounts of money & entertain people.

Outlawing it shouldn't happen, because it'll just go underground & be more dangerous.

Create other forms entertainment which rival it & that people actually want, make this entertainment non-violent. Every action movie I can think of glorifys violence, & for some weird reason the majority of people seem to think that how movies glorify violence is okay because it's just bad people getting beaten up & in this case they seem to think that two wrongs make a right, crazy.

You could of course go jump in a ring if you feel strongly enough about it. Really, I think that boxing is disgusting & with people like Tyson we are glorifying people who have done some very bad things.
#6 Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

Violent: If it is violent because it is simulated fighting it is nore more violent than wrestling or martial arts. If it is violent because people take hard hits and get hurt it is no more violent than football, hockey, rugby etc.

Dangerous: Football players and basketball players die on the field/court more frequently than boxers die in the ring. Football players get serious brain damage more frequently than boxers do. Basketball players, skiiers, tennis players er well most other sports participants get career threatening injuries more frequently than boxers do.

Glorifying violence: This is just completely wrong. You have obviously never known a boxing fan. People who like violence think boxing is boring, you will find these people watching Professional Wrestling.
#7 Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Banned

Pretty much what Remilard.

Now I'm off to watch WWE Velocity.

If you smeeeeeellllllllll...what the Tame...is...cookin'!
#8 Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 AM

I don't like boxing and I don't watch boxing. I think watching two people bash the crap out of each other is appalling...but... I believe in personal freedom and the right to choose. If they want to pound each other into the ground, that's their business. Outlawing it wouldn't work, as Bethanie has stated. It's a money maker for all involved.

I think the difference between boxing and other sports, such as football, is that in boxing, the main goal is to knock the other person out. In football, the goal is to get the ball and make a touch down. Yes, injuries happen, but physically hurting someone is not the main focus of the game.
#9 Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 AM

the problem with boxing is brain damage. for every person that makes a lot, there are countless others who get the crap beat out of their heads for peanuts. martial arts training doesn't involve the head shots that boxers take every day. even in sparring, you're constantly getting your brain jarred.

that said, i don't think you can legislate its legality.
#10 Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic99 View Post

martial arts training doesn't involve the head shots that boxers take every day.

Let me assure you that, in some cases, it does.

Boxers don't take hard head shots every day, they do so 2-4 times per year. Professional football players take hard head shots more frequently and suffer concussions and lasting brain damage more frequently.
#11 Old 06-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

I love seeing a boxer get beat up and brain damaged (well, more so than they already were)...... that's when they really connect with their fans.

And a dead boxer is even better.
#12 Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 AM

I do martial arts..Ive worked with some Kronk Gym guys and have hung out with Thomas Hearns. Boxing is beautiful, it is the pinnical of sport. It really has nothing to do with violence. Its a struggle between a fighter and his fears. The opponet is secondary. The outcome depends as much or more on heart as it does skill. There is still a few of us that are warriors, dont try to take that away and make us compete in spelling bees.
#13 Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

I love seeing a boxer get beat up and brain damaged (well, more so than they already were)......

That is understandable. I love seeing drunks get brain damaged (well, more so than they already were).
#14 Old 06-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic99 View Post

the problem with boxing is brain damage. for every person that makes a lot, there are countless others who get the crap beat out of their heads for peanuts. martial arts training doesn't involve the head shots that boxers take every day. even in sparring, you're constantly getting your brain jarred.

that said, i don't think you can legislate its legality.

Your funny!
#15 Old 06-12-2005, 12:11 PM

This thread represents a very narrow minded group of individuals talking mostly about something they know little of. Many people seem to think there are 2 people going toe to toe trading punches untill one of them falls down dead. I can assure you think is a false and miscontruded view of professional boxing.

Secondly outlawing something becuase you don't like it would turn this society into a dictatorship. I don't like religion. I think it breads weak and narrow minded individuals. However I am not crying for it to be outlawed.

If you want to outlaw everything that could cause injury we would all be sitting at home on our couch all day because why on earth would someone go jump out of airplane, ride a bike, or drive a car because they could become injured.

If you actaully took the time to learn some of the aspects of boxing and how most of these fighters GREATLY benefit from their boxing careers I believe you would change your mind. It is not any more of a glorification of violence then football is. Movies and TV glorify violence if a much higher light.
#16 Old 06-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

This thread represents a very narrow minded group of individuals talking mostly about something they know little of. Many people seem to think there are 2 people going toe to toe trading punches untill one of them falls down dead. I can assure you think is a false and miscontruded view of professional boxing.

Maybe you should read the ****ing thread before you run your mouth. I see only 2-3 people supporting the banning of boxing, and I don't see anyone (other than Kurm who is obviously joking) even obliquely mentioning boxers "trading punches untill one of them falls down dead".
#17 Old 06-12-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Secondly outlawing something becuase you don't like it would turn this society into a dictatorship. I don't like religion. I think it breads weak and narrow minded individuals. However I am not crying for it to be outlawed.

If you want to outlaw everything that could cause injury we would all be sitting at home on our couch all day because why on earth would someone go jump out of airplane, ride a bike, or drive a car because they could become injured.

If you actaully took the time to learn some of the aspects of boxing and how most of these fighters GREATLY benefit from their boxing careers I believe you would change your mind. It is not any more of a glorification of violence then football is. Movies and TV glorify violence if a much higher light.

As Chris Tucker asked Jackie Chan in Rush Hour..."Do you understand the words that are coming outa my mouth?" I think I may qualify for having a little experiance.
#18 Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:

You're right. I know very little about boxing but I do know that I don't enjoy watching it. I also don't like watching hockey (yes, I know, I'm a bad Canadian) or golf. It's just boring to me.

Lots of people benefit GREATLY from lots of things. That doesn't mean I have to like it or even support it. As I said, their bodies, their choice.
#19 Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCat View Post

I think the difference between boxing and other sports, such as football, is that in boxing, the main goal is to knock the other person out.

No it's not. Boxing is scored by the number of hits for each participant as scored by judges.
#20 Old 06-12-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

No it's not. Boxing is scored by the number of hits for each participant as scored by judges.

And also the quality of said hits. If you tap the other guy 200 times and he clobbers you 100 times, they'll give him the decision.
#21 Old 06-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

Doesn't boxing have a term called TKO? Total Knock Out?
#22 Old 06-12-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I believe that TKO is Technical Knockout, not Total Knockout.
#23 Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 PM

Okay, technical knockout. Either way, you get points for hitting someone in the head and there's a term for it. Football doesn't have a term for knocking someone out. Hockey doesn't either but it probably should.
#24 Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

A TKO is a Technical Knockout, a term used to describe cases where one opponent repeatedly appears to be unable to fight but not rising to the same level as a professional knockout.

However, Knockouts are not the only way to win in boxing. In both professional and amateur boxing contestants are scored based on their performance during the round. In amateur boxing "knockouts" are called fairly quickly in the event of a possible injury.
#25 Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Okay, technical knockout. Either way, you get points for hitting someone in the head and there's a term for it. Football doesn't have a term for knocking someone out. Hockey doesn't either but it probably should.

Okay, but a Defensive End who is unblocked takes a shot at a quarterback every chance he gets. The objective is still to knock the opponent down and possbly incapacitate him/her.
#26 Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Not exactly...The head isnt always a target. Body shots take a huge toll. Ive lost fights from kicks to the rib cage that were enough to want me to curl in the fetal position and make me look for a happy place. Many fights seem to end from a head shot, but for the experianced fan the fight was lost from an acumulation of body shots leaving the head open for what seems like the knockout.
#27 Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Okay, technical knockout. Either way, you get points for hitting someone in the head and there's a term for it.

A "Knockout" has nothing to do with hitting someone in the head. Seriously, I don't even like combat sports but I still take the time to do a little research before talking about them. You get points for valid blows to the head or upper torso "above the belt." A "knockout" is a condition called by the referree when a participant is deemed injured and unable to continue the competition.
#28 Old 06-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Also, I believe a TKO can be attained without the opponent losing conciousness-one of the ways to achieve a TKO is n=knocking your opponent down three times in a round, for example.
#29 Old 06-12-2005, 01:41 PM

I don't love boxing, but I don't think it should be outlawed.

The point may be to knock out your opponent, but at least they're being honest about it. People who are boxing know what they're getting into.
#30 Old 06-12-2005, 02:45 PM

Two words come to mind

bite me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page